Dynadot

discuss The case for 5 letter .com's

NameSilo
Watch

Jason Baudendistel

CEO Wibbets IncRestricted (Market)
Impact
I know you see 11 million potential combinations and it seems like a lot but here are some numbers to put that in perspective.

367 Million total domains registered
4 billion current internet users
It seems like the next logical place for demand to move to. Especially brandable and pronounceable names. I could not find concrete data on this aspect of 5 letter domains but it is likely a small fraction of current supply.
Your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I know you see 11 million potential combinations and it seems like a lot but here are some numbers to put that in perspective.

367 Million total domains registered
4 billion current internet users
It seems like the next logical place for demand to move to. Especially brandable and pronounceable names. I could not find concrete data on this aspect of 5 letter domains but it is likely a small fraction of current supply.
Your thoughts?
I think a higher demand will be only and always for meaningful domain names. (2-word .COMs, .ORGs, .NETs and even 3-word .COMs). Words that make sense.

The number of letters doesn't matter if the name doesn't make any sense imo.

In my experience, it is very hard to convince someone pay for a 5L name via outbound, because the name doesn't mean anything(unless it is a 5L abbreviation).

If the potential buyer doesn't like the name, he can buy a different random 5L (as you said there are 11M combinations). However it is not the case with 2-word .COMs for example. Unique, targeted names have much higher demand and are easier to sell.

•••
For 5L domains I personally think you need good CVCVC or VCVCV combinations, 2 words in the 5L or 1 word within the 5 letters that make sense or have meaning to have a chance - no random crap like CQIJZ

Couple of .com sales examples of the above

Livek (Live + K or CVCVC) sold yesterday for $1,102 on Godaddy

Buy Domains sold vised (CVCVC) for $1,900 on the 30th March

ToBuy ( 2 words) sold on Sedo for $17,500 on the 10th March

Ewiva (VCVCV) sold on Sedo for $7,620 on the 21st March

Looking at the sales data just for this year CVCVC is much more popular (quite a few decent sales actually) than VCVCV - did not really take a good look at 2 words / 1 word within 5L - will do later though.....

Last edited:
•••
There are just too many out there. I mean random LLLL.com don't really have all that much resale value, and there are just over 450,000 of them.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back