Dynadot

opinion The biggest favor someone has done for Domain name Industry?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
What do you consider to be the biggest favor someone has done for Domain name Industry?

f.e. Get Your Domain Before It’s Gone | Squarespace Super Bowl 2017

(Your input is valuable)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not a fan of Squarespace but kudos for putting out an ad promoting the domain industry (y)

•••
Not a fan of Squarespace but kudos for putting out an ad promoting the domain industry (y)

Another example/s would be great! Thanks!

•••
•••
What do you consider to be the biggest favor someone has done for Domain name Industry?

f.e. Get Your Domain Before It’s Gone | Squarespace Super Bowl 2017

(Your input is valuable)

Brilliant! 😆

•••
Those guys in the appraisal section are pretty cool ...

But truly, I'm not so sure. Hard pin pointing the single "biggest favour", considering there's a bunch of things that people have done over the years, as a collective. The biggest or most impactful thing? Its a big question, I'll need to think about it

Last edited:
•••
That is a pretty broad question, actually. Let me start with something very basic.

The invention of the Domain Name System (the system, the software, the hierarchical namespace).

It is the fundament for all things we're doing here right now.

Last edited:
•••
... and HTML

Tim Berners-Lee specified Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) and wrote the browser and server software that kicked off the widespread use of publishing on the World Wide Web.

•••
•••
Without a doubt... the answer is: YOU GUYS!
Namepros members.. especially the experienced ones who generously share their wisdom day in and day out for all us noobs!
I'm a crazy bookworm.. but Namepros convinced me forums are the only source of knowledge that's even superior to books! Think about it: a book gives you opinions from a single qualified person. But here 100s of qualified people keep sharing their opinions for free. The value created from that is unbelievable.

•••
Michael Cyger and his DNAcademy course. A wealth of knowledge for a fraction of the cost compared to the value (nope... I'm not an affiliate)

•••
Michael Cyger and his DNAcademy course. A wealth of knowledge for a fraction of the cost compared to the value (nope... I'm not an affiliate)

•••
Just being able to find and register or buy (if you can afford) any cool .com name you like. There could be far more draconian rules in place. So just generally how easy it is to enter the domain name industry.

•••
Going to put Bob on here. For NP and the industry in general, honestly-driven penning countless analytics and articles, without prejudice or agenda.

Eternally grateful @Bob Hawkes

•••
Joining clubhouse....ESSENTIAL for anyone in the domain name business ...many thanks Page Howe

•••
Old schoolers learned regz like wwwyahoo.com

•••
I have had some personal favors done right here. May not be for industry as an entire but in general. People like @MapleDots have offered information which i wouldn't have known otherwise helped with recovery and @CraigD has helped counless times.. Saving my names getting them moved from discredited icann registrars over years sat next to me buying names in late 90s but to others that helped saved the sky falling at times Keep posting relevant information eg @Bob Hawkes @Robbie @johnn not going to yell out to anymore but it is these kind of people actually helping here.

Last edited:
•••
Creating the NamePros community ...networking with cool people

That's a favour on some level

•••
(Wasn't sure where to put this response to a question in chat. This thread seemed reasonable.)

So many so-called "end users" simply have no clue about domain worth. Although many domainers are wildly unrealistic about their domains' "values", the hope is that they also can help educate those end users about name "worth". The thriving domain auction and "reseller" market helps to do that in a constructive way.

The biggest favor you can do for yourself is to learn how to adapt and stay in the game. Winning, not losing.

•••
the biggest favor someone has done was afternic rep negotiating for a listed $xx,xxx instead of x,xxx or xxx whatever you asked for 1st quote

Last edited:
•••
Sharing sales, any platform twitter namebio etc

Been noticing, it’s done more lately.

I stand by the notion; selfish hide their sales, especially when the name sold is valuable. — Plays into the culture of domaining. Everyone mentioned here, mostly share and role model

@Michael of Namebio.com,
Tho not absolute, best industry aggregation! Michael my choice, NameBio industry godsend
Michael, i look forward to sharing you in future! Your website and @Ron Jackson’s DNJournal. What both do is so vital and under-appreciated

Thank youfavorite 2 who did favors for industry
Samer

Last edited:
•••
early 2000's to mid-2000's: remembered rick schwartz at domaining auctions who bought flowers.mobi $200,000
it was big then, but questions arise on under the table back-room dealing like behind the curtain unreported even - that was when the domaining community was tight

Last edited:
•••
early 2000's to mid-2000's: remembered rick schwartz at domaining auctions who bought flowers.mobi $200,000
it was big then, but questions arise on under the table back-room dealing like behind the curtain unreported even - that was when the domaining community was tight

“.mobi” is the bigger “Dutch Tulip” than NFTs.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back