IT.COM

The Biggest Fail of Domainers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The biggest fails of domainers, including me :

- Buying domains those already on hype at to high price and hope to flip again
- holding good domains in too short time, then sell it for cheap or let it drop
- think that domaining is a game of registering a name for $10, and flip it to xxxx$ in 2 month. Even some domains can be flipped like this if it is your lucky find..

Because the game of domaining is buying good name when it is not popular and sell it some years after it is popular. Like Swetha, she bought .xyz for almost reg fee 6 years ago, and now selling them for 4-5 figure. Domainers are trying to replicate this suceess with buying good .xyz for xxx per domain.

The problem for me is, I have no power to wait 6 years before a domain is selling...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not pricing their domains.
It’s my biggest fail.
I am not insulting an entire industry,
I just believe it would help liquidity more.

It sounds easier than it is; especially if like it.
Worst case: Really high BIN is better IMO.
Transparency! No back-and-forth games.

And dont be rude and insult what perceive “low” offer.
Be happy and appreciate; interest to offer, be kind.
Even “No reply” better than quick nasty no.

Last edited:
•••
•••
The problem for me is, I have no power to wait 6 years before a domain is selling...
The biggest fail in all good investments is not having the power to wait. Obviously if the asset is junk, don't wait, liquidate and use the money for something better. However, when you have something good, you must wait, in domaining it could be decades.

In real estate you try building your portfolio of properties. After some time, you will have some properties that you know will be worth a lot one day. The issue is, you must keep on paying to hold those properties even if that property itself does not cover your bills. Smart real estate investors will buy cheaper properties, rent those out or flip them, just to make some money and to cover the bills of the prime real estate they own.

Domaining is the same. You have your good names that you must wait to get that high return. However, waiting 25 years with 25 good names will cost you in these days will cost you over 6.2k. Smart domainers will have names that they pickup for under 50 at auctions, drops, closeouts and those will sell for 500-2500. Those names are the types you might drop or liquidate after a few years. You might also make some money with parking, to help pay renewals. The money earned from this supports the major names plus leaves you with some money to live.

Those 25 good names will not all sell, however, each of those good names have a 5-7 figure potential if you wait.

Stock investments is the same thing, however, with stocks the cost is 0 to just hold it and depending on the stocks, it could be like parking, it pays you.

Good things come to those that wait. Except if you are on the buy side of domain, stop waiting, because my prices will only go up :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
The biggest fail in all good investments is not having the power to wait. Obviously if the asset is junk, don't wait, liquidate and use the money for something better. However, when you have something good, you must wait, in domaining it could be decades.

In real estate you try building your portfolio of properties. After some time, you will have some properties that you know will be worth a lot one day. The issue is, you must keep on paying to hold those properties even if that property itself does not cover your bills. Smart real estate investors will buy cheaper properties, rent those out or flip them, just to make some money and to cover the bills of the prime real estate they own.

Domaining is the same. You have your good names that you must wait to get that high return. However, waiting 25 years with 25 good names will cost you in these days will cost you over 6.2k. Smart domainers will have names that they pickup for under 50 at auctions, drops, closeouts and those will sell for 500-2500. Those names are the types you might drop or liquidate after a few years. You might also make some money with parking, to help pay renewals. The money earned from this supports the major names plus leaves you with some money to live.

Those 25 good names will not all sell, however, each of those good names have a 5-7 figure potential if you wait.

Stock investments is the same thing, however, with stocks the cost is 0 to just hold it and depending on the stocks, it could be like parking, it pays you.

Good things come to those that wait. Except if you are on the buy side of domain, stop waiting, because my prices will only go up :ROFL:

Agree. In housing, I bought a house 10 years ago and now it is 3 times the initial price, even I am not a real eastate investor. Because I need a house, and using it make me no cost for renting another house, so I bought it. The other think, my house is indeed sellable because only 500 meters from a big mall.

Domaining is different, keeping domains will be a cost if they are not sold. And even avery good name, no guarantee it will be sold soon. House can be sold fast if the price is dropped. Because the value of a house is countable. The value of a domain is not countable.

•••
Missing
Illuminati ....
.top top top top top top top top

•••

There is no substitute for time when it comes to making end user sales.

Most of these overnight success stories now actually happened years ago, from decisions made then.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Not pricing their domains.
It’s my biggest fail.
I am not insulting an entire industry,
I just believe it would help liquidity more.

It sounds easier than it is; especially if like it.
Worst case: Really high BIN is better IMO.
Transparency! No back-and-forth games.

I think there is a balance between pricing and maximizing sales price.

I tend to price average to good domains, and leave higher upside domains (.COM especially) unpriced and available via negotiation.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The biggest fails of domainers, including me :

- Buying domains those already on hype at to high price and hope to flip again
- holding good domains in too short time, then sell it for cheap or let it drop
- think that domaining is a game of registering a name for $10, and flip it to xxxx$ in 2 month. Even some domains can be flipped like this if it is your lucky find..

Because the game of domaining is buying good name when it is not popular and sell it some years after it is popular. Like Swetha, she bought .xyz for almost reg fee 6 years ago, and now selling them for 4-5 figure. Domainers are trying to replicate this suceess with buying good .xyz for xxx per domain.

All the three points if done right are what separates a good domainer from a failed domainer.

1) Many of the best domainers picked up meta names for XXXX from buydomains, dan, sedo, afternic at the beginning of the hype and sold for 50-100K.
Same with xyz, many bought the best SLDs for mid to low 5 fig and sold for 6 figures.

2) You should know when to cut your losses, and or flip and roll up to better names

3) Oh well, that is the bread of butter of many a portfolio domainers

The only and biggest fail is buying the wrong names.
Learn to identify good names. Learn to think of yourself a Museum curator. And don't look for tips and tricks.

That is it.

You will notice how silly the domains own by some of the biggest critiques are.

•••
No much time to research, dropped some good name

•••
The biggest failure isn't securing the best name it is what you do with it. You can hold great names and never sell them due to effort. Just owning a name isn't a meal ticket.

•••
Learn to identify good names.

This. I think the majority of domainers are way to young to know / understand the market. Lack of market knowledge is a recipe for disaster. They might do well in upcoming trends though.
That doesn't necessarily mean that all older domainers do well. But age and market experience helps a lot. And having a good education of course.

Last edited:
•••
Hope nobody objects to bringing this thread back to life. One of most important lessons I've learnt is to manage cash-flow. But it was a lesson learnt far too late. When i was making regular sales, I would just renew everything I had, Didn't even think about cash flow. As my best domains were getting sold the later sales got leaner and leaner. Unfortunately I took the attitude that another sale would come-along before long. Then each renewal month was a $1k +. outlay, Dropping and accepting low-ball offers then became a necessity.

Fortunately my finances turned around (for other reasons) and I managed to keep a few good domains, But boy I certainly had a despondent couple of years 2012-2015 losing domains because I didn't even want to face the renewal lists. I actually thought I've just got walk away from this. Still if you do come out the other end - I have to look back and think well it was only money.

Lesson, Like any business, large or small, manage your cash-flow for at least a year ahead. And keep the portfolio under review, even when the good times are around. Don't find yourself having to make poor decisions because you lost financial control

Last edited:
•••
Hope nobody objects to bringing this thread back to life. One of most important lessons I've learnt is to manage cash-flow. But it was a lesson learnt far too late. When i was making regular sales, I would just renew everything I had, Didn't even think about cash flow. As my best domains were getting sold the later sales got leaner and leaner. Unfortunately I took the attitude that another sale would come-along before long. Then each renewal month was a $1k +. outlay, Dropping and accepting low-ball offers then became a necessity.

Fortunately my finances turned around (for other reasons) and I managed to keep a few good domains, But boy I certainly had a despondent couple of years 2012-2015 losing domains because I didn't even want to face the renewal lists. I actually thought I've just got walk away from this. Still if you do come out the other end - I have to look back and think well it was only money.

Lesson, Like any business, large or small, manage your cash-flow for at least a year ahead. And keep the portfolio under review, even when the good times are around. Don't find yourself having to make poor decisions because you lost financial control
What to renew and drop seems to be the eternal challenge in domaning. Nikul @hypernames mentioned in his sales thread about renewing names out of sentiment and the sunk cost fallacy.

•••
Back