IT.COM

discuss The Big Lie in the Domain Industry, Traffic Stats

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

oldtimer

SaveThyWorld.com Let's not leave anyone behindTop Member
Impact
I have been mainly using Sedo and Godaddy parking and sales landers for the past few months and was kind surprised by the number of unique visitors that I was getting considering the very low number of offers or lack thereof for the majority of my domains. Even the offer page views at Sedo were way up there for a lot of my domains while receiving no offers at all on them.

At Sedo I had about 450k unique visitors in the past 12 months on my portfolio of around 1000 domains and some of my domains had consistent offer page views over 50 per month without receiving any offers.

Godaddy doesn’t currently offer stats on sales landers, but they provide very inflated traffic stats on Godaddy Auctions.

Finally I decided to use Parking Crew for my domains and from what I can see the traffic stats for unique visitors and offer page views seem to be more realistic.

I like the fact that Parking Crew still allows me to use Afternic and Sedo sales landers which I like to switch around between occasionally.

My question is if Parking Crew can provide true stats why can’t Sedo and Godaddy and although most experienced domainers know that these stats are mostly from bots, but isn’t that going to be misleading to end users or even new domainers who rely on these false stats to make a domain purchase.

This situation can not be allowed to go on any longer.

We need to have true and accurate stats throughout the Domain Industry.

IMO

Thread Rules:

Everyone’s opinion is welcomed as long as it’s on topic and that things are kept on the professional, constructive, and respectful side. Constructive criticism for the purpose of pointing out the flaws in the domain Industry is allowed, but keep all negative, insulting, rude, and hateful comments out of this thread.

Disclaimer: I am not afflicted with or work for anyone in the Domain Industry.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
trafficstats in org is my site and will tell you if you have a lander.

•••
I have found Dan.com to be accurate with traffic stats , I don’t know their algorithm, but it’s accurate .

•••
Hi Biggie,

Stop protecting a flawed system and try to make some constructive suggestions as to what could be done to fix these problems Industry wide.

It's not just parking, it's sales lander statistics and also domain and website traffic in general that needs to be made available in an accurate and standardized way.

Now let me ask you this, as a longtime member yourself what do you have against bringing some order and uniformity to the domain Industry and why do you want to discourage us to even discuss these problems.

You should already know that I am not one who gives in to the status quo of doing things so easily and neither should you. :)

IMO
Hi
i'm only trying to protect the integrity of the forum and assist in clarifying or contradicting statements made which could mislead others.
you start a thread title with a negative accusation and never provide any proof.

as a user of these platforms for almost 2 decades, i don't agree with your argument.
you can continue to discuss whatever you want, but i won't encourage those who mislead, misrepresent or just plain make-up shit, without proving proof or some type of evidence.

everybody that knows me, knows i don't pander to nobody and will question anything i see as questionable.
and this is one of those questionables.

but can we agree that there is no rational reason for us to be left in the dark about what's going on with our sales landers.
Hi
no, we can't
you can't project your confusions on others and make it stick, as an industry wide problem
especially when we don't know what domains you own, how many names you sold, how many offers you have received, which get visitors and which don't or where your visitors, if any, come from, etc., etc.?

Having true and accurate stats for the sales landers can help domainers immensely in adjusting their prices and sales strategies specially when visitors have to take an additional step to get to the offer or contact page
Hi
if you have a domain that doesn't get many visitors, do you lower price to entice buyers?

the answer is...
> too many factors to say, without knowing the actual name, how many other offers, does it earn any revenue, etc., etc.

so, point to that is, visitors alone has little to do with pricing, as it depends on many other factors.

if you can't prove that your stats are inaccurate, then why make the accusation?

on other hand, if you were getting offers, some sales, and earning some ppc $ too, then what?

imo...

•••
Hi
i'm only trying to protect the integrity of the forum and assist in clarifying or contradicting statements made which could mislead others.
you start a thread title with a negative accusation and never provide any proof.

as a user of these platforms for almost 2 decades, i don't agree with your argument.
you can continue to discuss whatever you want, but i won't encourage those who mislead, misrepresent or just plain make-up shit, without proving proof or some type of evidence.

everybody that knows me, knows i don't pander to nobody and will question anything i see as questionable.
and this is one of those questionables.

Hi
no, we can't
you can't project your confusions on others and make it stick, as an industry wide problem
especially when we don't know what domains you own, how many names you sold, how many offers you have received, which get visitors and which don't or where your visitors, if any, come from, etc., etc.?

Hi
if you have a domain that doesn't get many visitors, do you lower price to entice buyers?

the answer is...
> too many factors to say, without knowing the actual name, how many other offers, does it earn any revenue, etc., etc.

so, point to that is, visitors alone has little to do with pricing, as it depends on many other factors.

if you can't prove that your stats are inaccurate, then why make the accusation?

on other hand, if you were getting offers, some sales, and earning some ppc $ too, then what?

imo...
You are entitled to have your own opinion about this which unfortunately differs from what I and many others have seen and known about the way that stats have been being handled and represented in the domain Industry for the past 20 years now.

So this is not a new problem that just sprang up, certain flaws within the industry have existed for many years now and I guarantee you that almost all Oldtimer domainers are aware of this fact and at one time or another have objected to the way that things were being done by certain companies and individuals. But If you want to protect the status quo of running things then that's your prerogative, but please provide a disclaimer after each one of your posts indicating that you don't have any affiliations, loyalties, or personal agenda and interest that is effecting your opinion and stance in this matter because whenever the problems with stats are brought up it seems like it's always the same people who go out of their way to try to convince us that these problems don't exists even though we all as domainers (and the public at large) are being affected by them on a daily basis.

Nevertheless I don't want to destroy the domain Industry or any company that's associated with it , but rather I want to reform it so that there is a level playing field for everyone.

IMO

•••
It seems that I am not the first skeptic.
Although this will increase the burden on the system, these data should be truly disclosed.

•••
I believe I have found the perfect parking platform :)

More details after I test it for a while.

Disclaimer: I have no connections or affiliations with them.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
but please provide a disclaimer after each one of your posts indicating that you don't have any affiliations, loyalties, or personal agenda and interest that is effecting your opinion and stance in this matter because whenever the problems with stats are brought up it seems like it's always the same people who go out of their way to try to convince us that these problems don't exists even though we all as domainers (and the public at large) are being affected by them on a daily basis.
Hi

you must be nuts
every vague and unproven statement or claim you've made is based on your opinion of same industries i participate in.
so, i don't have to post any disclaimer.

you're just throwing do do against the wall, trying to convince others to sing same song.

this is basically a conspiracy theory

imo...

•••
so, i don't have to post any disclaimer.
That kind of says it all,

I was hoping that you as a long time member here could see above your personal interest and help us look after the registrants' and consumer's interests at large.

With all your knowledge and experience I hope that someday soon you change your mind and become a Force For Good in the domain Industry.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
There is a lot of delusion here I have a lot of sites running stat scripts and tools and if it shows you have no traffic it isn't being mean or lowers value it just doesn't prove much by parking a name with no marketing backlinks and expect just because it really is a great type in it is going to rank with parking no content.

•••
There is a lot of delusion here I have a lot of sites running stat scripts and tools and if it shows you have no traffic it isn't being mean or lowers value it just doesn't prove much by parking a name with no marketing backlinks and expect just because it really is a great type in it is going to rank with parking no content.
Parking stats is only one metric amongst many others that domainers should consider in evaluating their domains.

There are a lot of domains that have an inherent potential and value built into them, but they don't get any traffic. There are also different sources and kinds of traffic for a domain name or website.

The one that I am most interested in is the stats for the Sales Landers that shows the info about the potential buyers visits to the Landers and their subsequent actions and behaviors as to whether they have taken any additional steps in showing further interest in a domain name even for those who haven't made any offers because perhaps they thought the price was too high or was out of their range.

This info can help us price our domains better and perhaps be able to make more sales.

This is the data that big registrars themselves use in evaluating their own portfolios so there should be no reason for them to leave us in the dark about the Sales Landers that We have with them (or worse to give us inaccurate or inflated stats).

Nevertheless regardless of what kind of traffic stats we are talking about it's time to have some standards across the Industry that promote giving true and accurate data that are not manipulated or inflated artificially.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
How about develop a site and get a reality check the tiniest bit of effort makes 1000% more traffic.
I don't feel there are any lies to unravel but feel free to post evidence.

Last edited:
•••
How about develop a site and get a reality check the tiniest bit of effort makes 1000% more traffic.
I don't feel there are any lies to unravel but feel free to post evidence.
We are not talking about just one domain or one site here,

Obviously we can develop a few of our domains to get a feel for the true traffic that they have through Google Analytics.

But here we are talking about millions of domains,

Not just mine, but everyone else's who uses a Sales Lander from the many different platforms in the Industry or who relies on the traffic stats provided to purchase a domain name through different marketplaces or auctions.

We need to think beyond just our own personal circumstances and consider what the domain Industry needs do to as a whole to serve the public good instead of protecting the interest of just a few companies that are profiting of off depriving us of the true and accurate stats. Just like the kind of data that the big registrars use themselves for evaluating their own domains, but that they purposely choose to withhold it from us or worse give us false or inflated stats.

IMO

•••
Maybe it's because stats don't matter sales wise 😉
Hell, not even sales landers matter. Buyers just type in names on their registrar search engine..

Last edited:
•••
Maybe it's because stats don't matter sales wise 😉
Hell, not even sales landers matter. Buyers just type in names on their registrar search engine..
Stats matter sales wise as far as helping us evaluate and price our domains better,

And if a domain has been searched for at the registrar by a potential buyer can we get some data as to what domains they were interested in and if they took any additional steps that would show the level of their interest in the domain even if they didn't end up buying it like whether they asked for a price or wanted to talk to someone to get more info about the domain.

I would like to know:

- How did the potential buyer arrive at the domain, was it through sales landers or was it by doing a search at the registrar or some other method,

- How many potential buyers took the first step to search for the domain at the registrar or their affiliate network.

- How many potential buyers took the second step to inquire about the price,

- How many potential buyers took the third step to make an offer,

- How many potential buyers were turned off by the price and lost interest in taking any further steps,

- How many potential buyers engaged in negotiations with a broker, but couldn't meet the floor or reserve price,

- How many potential buyers that were interested in our domains ended up being diverted to buy one of the registrar's own domains (well they probably won't give us this info, but I am still curious to know).

The registrars like Godaddy have all this data that they use for evaluating and pricing their own domains and so it's only fair that we are provided with that info too about our Sales Landers so that we can manage and price our domains better.

IMO

•••
Show one example and we will all analyze it.

•••
Show one example and we will all analyze it.
Just look at the Sales lander for the domains at Sedo and the numbers provided for Traffic are not accurate,

Look at the domains at auction at Godaddy and the numbers provided for Traffic on most them are inflated.

And I guess many individuals feel free to artificially inflate the traffic on their domains and websites as they please which is a known fact in the domain Industry.

This is an Industry wide problem so rather than trying to blame anyone in specific perhaps the right solution would be to come up with some kind of a Certification System for Traffic kind of like the way we have security and trust certification for websites.

Disclaimer: I use both Godaddy and Sedo and I plan on keep using them. As I have already said my goal is not to destroy, but rather to reform the Industry so that we have a level playing field for everyone.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Oldtimer I think you are overanalyzing, if domaining is not working for you now, it wouldn't work even if you had the most accurate stats. It's all about quality domains, not stats.
Great that you have so much free time to start this kind of pointless threads...

Last edited:
•••
Oldtimer I think you are overanalyzing, if domaining is not working for you now, it wouldn't work even if you had the most accurate stats. It's all about quality domains, not stats.
True, but why not make things easier for domainers by giving them accurate stats that can help them manage their domains better.

And don't forget about some of the end users (not all) who are influenced in their purchase in part because of the traffic stats that they see being provided.

I am surprised at how much resistance there is here to wanting to make things right in this Industry.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
You are a funny guy, I have to say...

Last edited:
•••
Over inflated would be bots but i really think counting a few parking clicks is pointless when a description gives it 10 x more and then page another 100% more etc.

•••
Great that you have so much free time to start this kind of pointless threads...

You are a funny guy, I have to say...
As an activist I thought I was doing the community (and in some cases the Humanity) a service, but if it's going to cost me my life I guess I can stop now. :)

•••
Please stop..if domaining is not working for you, stats won't make any difference..

Last edited:
•••
Please stop..if domaining is not working for you, stats won't make any difference..

As far as whether domaining is working for me or not that's a separate matter, as an activist I have different plans and goals for owning domain names which might not all be for personal gains.

But even if I owned one domain name (like many end users do) I would still have the right to be concerned about the way that certain things were being handled in the domain Industry.

Nevertheless I have said what I needed to say, the rest is up to the community to see if they are comfortable with the way things are currently being done or if they want to see some new standards being established across the board in the domain Industry.

The best I can do is to just leave it at that.

IMO

•••
I have been mainly using Sedo and Godaddy parking and sales landers for the past few months and was kind surprised by the number of unique visitors that I was getting considering the very low number of offers or lack thereof for the majority of my domains. Even the offer page views at Sedo were way up there for a lot of my domains while receiving no offers at all on them.

At Sedo I had about 450k unique visitors in the past 12 months on my portfolio of around 1000 domains and some of my domains had consistent offer page views over 50 per month without receiving any offers.

Godaddy doesn’t currently offer stats on sales landers, but they provide very inflated traffic stats on Godaddy Auctions.

Finally I decided to use Parking Crew for my domains and from what I can see the traffic stats for unique visitors and offer page views seem to be more realistic.

I like the fact that Parking Crew still allows me to use Afternic and Sedo sales landers which I like to switch around between occasionally.

My question is if Parking Crew can provide true stats why can’t Sedo and Godaddy and although most experienced domainers know that these stats are mostly from bots, but isn’t that going to be misleading to end users or even new domainers who rely on these false stats to make a domain purchase.

This situation can not be allowed to go on any longer.

We need to have true and accurate stats throughout the Domain Industry.

IMO

Thread Rules:

Everyone’s opinion is welcomed as long as it’s on topic and that things are kept on the professional, constructive, and respectful side. Constructive criticism for the purpose of pointing out the flaws in the domain Industry is allowed, but keep all negative, insulting, rude, and hateful comments out of this thread.

Disclaimer: I am not afflicted with or work for anyone in the Domain Industry.
any actual sample landers to show ? Their site is one pager with ZERO example pages and the video explanation is canned cartoon

•••
Traffic stats across domain marketplaces have nothing to do with web standards, let alone domain industry standards.
It's a simple fact that bots cannot be filtered accurately at all. Filtering bots would mean filtering many real visitors. Therefore platforms tend to show all 'visits' because of that fact. Some of them are filtering just obvious bots etc.. but it can't be 100% accurate.
If you want to have more accurate stats and insights, learn how to use Google Analytics and filters, as someone has mentioned that already.

•••
Back