IT.COM

Thanks for all the great posts! I changed from Lurker to Member today.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

easywebdomains.net

Established Member
Impact
Hello all.

What a great community!

I have been reading various threads for about a month, learning loads and wanted to share my appreciation by joining in and commenting.

Hopefully one day to contribute helpfully as well. Right now though just glad to be here.

Cheers!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is all about the numbers

Absolutely! It's always about the numbers.

re: time. Initially it's a big drain on time to get up to speed. Then reality hits, and we will allocate a more modest portion of the working day to it whilst continuing with existing operations.

Regarding the plan. I've always found trading to be a game of information. The more information you know the better decisions you can make. At the moment I am only prepared to experiment. I will look out for your posts.

Cheers Reddstagg.

•••
Absolutely! It's always about the numbers.

re: time. Initially it's a big drain on time to get up to speed. Then reality hits, and we will allocate a more modest portion of the working day to it whilst continuing with existing operations.

Regarding the plan. I've always found trading to be a game of information. The more information you know the better decisions you can make. At the moment I am only prepared to experiment. I will look out for your posts.

Cheers Reddstagg.

I will be in the first car but we will both be on the same rollercoaster lol.

This is my second year. 500 domains. No sales yet which seems to bother other people more than it bothers me. I made some mistakes in my first year and dropped some names at renewal time. My secret was to have registrations spread across the whole year rather than to have peaks and troughs when too many renewals in a month can cause problems. In my second year I was more informed and didn't make as many mistakes, just re-aligned my portfolio and again trimmed some fat. Maybe 90% of my portfolio is hand registrations which takes time to do the research and I'd say I am now 60% dot.coms.

The surprising thing with domain investing is that nothing surprises me. Names that logically shouldn't sell do sell and for good money. The secret is knowing why.

I only spend what I can afford to lose on a daily basis and my plan is to hold my top domains for maybe 5 to 10 years and use any money made to plan for retirement.

There are many different ways to 'shop window' your portfolio and my combination is 50/50 split with Godaddy and a local Irish registry. Each of my names has their own landing page at Efty.com and they are also listed on Afternic which is associated with Godaddy.

You will read many different strategies from others and you have to find what works best for you. You can adapt your plan as you go but the larger your portfolio gets the longer it may take to make such changes so it may be better to get this nailed down from the get go.

I'd say there is no such thing as a stupid question. Ask and yea shall find. You may get many different opinions...you may even agree with some of them lol.

Oh yeah, forgot to say...read,read,read. Inspiration comes in many forms.

You've decided to start a business with little experience in the middle of a global pandemic. What's the worst that can happen?

Find your 'YOU' and work out where you fit in and how you can carve your own niche.

Don't be the sheep. Be the sheeps dog. Woof!! Woof!!

Good luck.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
@Reddstagg Wowie. 500 domains, two years in and no sales. That is the very opposite of what I intend to do right now, in that I've not operated like that before. I may end up concluding a similar approach in time. Importantly, you are only risking what you can afford so I understand. In that respect we have a similar ideal.

I am researching about hand regs now. Particularly to see if any could have value in the future. It's too early to make a firm statement, but I did see that some names can be out of favour for years (so dropped) then pop up again (registered, transferred and kept alive somehow), to gather momentum and be worth something substantial in the future (which is now our past). I've no idea of the proportion of those so it's just a casual observation.

I plan to use all the main sites to sell. So far I have some experience with Godaddy, NameCheap, and Flippa, plus smaller hosting sites. I like the interface with NameCheap. Easy to use.

You've decided to start a business with little experience in the middle of a global pandemic. What's the worst that can happen?
Ha ha! The perfect time to start!

Find your 'YOU' and work out where you fit in and how you can carve your own niche.
Thank you. Good advice.

I will follow you on here if that's ok so we can keep in touch. Cheers

•••
•••
•••
•••
@DigitalRoar Hello there. Your reply marks the 3 month anniversary of when I joined this site, so I thought I'd write down what I've learned in those 3 months for any other new investors.

1. Read, read, read what others that have gone before you on here say to do. I've read a lot of great info.
2. Read about all the domains that have sold, what they went for, where, and for how much. I've made it a habit.
3. Try buying and selling on here to familiarise. You can see my feedback for the number of transactions so far.
4. Try buying, selling, pushing and transferring domains on a variety of platforms, so far I've used Epik (my fav), Namecheap, (ok unless you want to delete a domain), Godaddy (the biggest platform, but not the easiest to use), and dynadot (good interface).
5. Try liquidating a few domains for practise. I used nameliquidate.com, and Godaddy. Sold one on nameliquidate.

So that's 3 months of study, and am I ready to buy to invest ..... no, but I'm closing in on some ideas. :)

Last edited:
•••
@DigitalRoar Hello there. Your reply marks the 3 month anniversary of when I joined this site, so I thought I'd write down what I've learned in those 3 months for any other new investors.

1. Read, read, read what others that have gone before you on here say to do. I've read a lot of great info.
2. Read about all the domains that have sold, what they went for, where, and for how much. I've made it a habit.
3. Try buying and selling on here to familiarise. You can see my feedback for the number of transactions so far.
4. Try buying, selling, pushing and transferring domains on a variety of platforms, so far I've used Epik (my fav), Namecheap, (ok unless you want to delete a domain), Godaddy (the biggest platform, but not the easiest to use), and dynadot (good interface).
5. Try liquidating a few domains for practise. I used nameliquidate.com, and Godaddy. Sold one on nameliquidate.

So that's 3 months of study, and am I ready to buy to invest ..... no, but I'm closing in on some ideas. :)
Great! yes, there is a lot of knowledge on here I have learned a lot. I don't recommend GD, they target inexperienced end-users and overcharge, I lost a lot of money with them when I was a noobie. Stick to Epik & Dynadot, Namecheap is fine at times too, but GD is a no-no for me!

•••
@DigitalRoar Thank you for sharing your experience with GD. Best of luck in your endeavours.

•••
•••
@hollywood here's to the lurkers of this world, may we learn in silence, ha ha. Cheers.

•••
How is everything several months down the line?

•••
How is everything several months down the line?
Thank you for asking. Truth is I'm still learning the ropes. I've basically been turning theory into reality with small scale experiments, and widening my knowledge of the value of domain names.

It's starting to make sense. I don't feel it's worth writing much at this stage until I can get to the point where I am looking to buy (this time with confidence over what I believe each name is worth wholesale, auctions and retail).

@s.g. Welcome to NP by the way - lots of good info to read here. Plus I recommend spending a lot of time on the namebio site.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back