Dynadot

discuss Thank you Radix, NamesCon(.)Online and NamePros

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Anyone here go to the NamesCon Online conference? While I didn't, I plan to go later because it was virtually online. So why would I be thanking Radix? Because Radix is the registry behind the extension .online.

Here is what the good folks at NamesCon said about Radix;

"The Right Extension for the Right Message"

NamesCon also said this;

"the .online extension remains a total no-brainer for us! We love .online because it both conveys and strengthens our message: it’s easy to remember, simple to share, and powerful in its storytelling. This is what a domain name is supposed to do, after all.

So thank you again, Radix, for helping us smoothly transition NamesCon from offline to .online!"

While nothing is in concrete, I'm looking to partner in some capacity with the fastest growing new gTLD in the world. I see .online as serious competition for the millions of .com domains hiding in the wine cellar just collecting dust because the average business consumer just can't afford them. Someone, not me, but I agree there are literally BILLIONS of dollars of perfectly good domains in the cellar that an even better extension is ready to replace.

Finally I want to thank NamePros for giving me a voice and letting me share my opinions with thousands of domainers the world over.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Say Joe would reservations.online have been top tier if I could have gotten it?
Yeah, that would be one worth hanging onto for sure. Generally any single word with strong commercial applications is a good investment with some of these better new extensions. Two word names seem to be much harder to sell unless they're extremely strong terms.
btw, you don't know what I own and what I don't own.....NEVER ASSUME anything about anyone, but you might assume I'm able to remove brick walls :xf.rolleyes:
Like I said, I was only going by the names you've posted to this thread. But name ownership is also easily tracked with a reverse WHOIS search unless you have your names under privacy.
I know you and Brad question my investment skills, but that's what I do. I exploit hidden opportunities. Not only do the .com's have an outrageous valuation, most of them are "hoarded" in the cellar. I know what I'm doing is putting pressure on king .com, but that's part of my plan.
I only question your investment skills to date because the sales aren't there to back them up. It's nothing personal. I'm just not sure why you feel the need to pump your domaining skills so hard without having yet profited from selling domains.

Your ideas have value either way, and they'll get a lot more traction if you present them with some humility, and without dumping on people who have put years of hard work into becoming successful in this industry.

•••
Who cares what the .COM appraised value is. It is not relevant.
It is like comparing a Ferrari to a Pinto.

.COM is far superior. Automated appraisals are worthless.

Here is a formula to figure out the resale value of a .ONLINE.

Take the appraised value for the .COM, then multiply by 0.

Brad
Brad...sorry I hadn't got back to you, but you know how busy I am. While I didn't own a Pinto back in the day, I did own a 1960 VW Beetle Convertible. It certainly wasn't a Ferrari, but it got the job done and the girls loved it:xf.love: My point is regardless of whats right of the dot whether it's .com, .online or .brad they're ALL THE SAME. And you would be amazed at how many consumers and business owners don't know that:xf.rolleyes:

With you being from Indianapolis I just noticed that indynews.online is available. If you want I'll buy it for you since I own similar domains for where folks like you get their news "online". Of course you might need to know who to sell it to or even how to sell it, but I can help you with that too. I think you'll find your Farrari aka indynews.com is in a hoard garage somewhere and isn't available anyway. However, some of us need transportation now, so I guess we'll just have to find a Beetle.online. What do you think:xf.wink:

•••
Brad...sorry I hadn't got back to you, but you know how busy I am. While I didn't own a Pinto back in the day, I did own a 1960 VW Beetle Convertible. It certainly wasn't a Ferrari, but it got the job done and the girls loved it:xf.love: My point is regardless of whats right of the dot whether it's .com, .online or .brad they're ALL THE SAME. And you would be amazed at how many consumers and business owners don't know that:xf.rolleyes:

With you being from Indianapolis I just noticed that indynews.online is available. If you want I'll buy it for you since I own similar domains for where folks like you get their news "online". Of course you might need to know who to sell it to or even how to sell it, but I can help you with that too. I think you'll find your Farrari aka indynews.com is in a hoard garage somewhere and isn't available anyway. However, some of us need transportation now, so I guess we'll just have to find a Beetle.online. What do you think:xf.wink:
When you say .com, .online, and other TLDS are "all the same", what do you mean by that exactly?

What price point would you use for a name like indynews.online to ensure that people would want to buy it, and also that the business model would make sense for you?

•••
Yeah, that would be one worth hanging onto for sure. Generally any single word with strong commercial applications is a good investment with some of these better new extensions. Two word names seem to be much harder to sell unless they're extremely strong terms.

Like I said, I was only going by the names you've posted to this thread. But name ownership is also easily tracked with a reverse WHOIS search unless you have your names under privacy.

I only question your investment skills to date because the sales aren't there to back them up. It's nothing personal. I'm just not sure why you feel the need to pump your domaining skills so hard without having yet profited from selling domains.

Your ideas have value either way, and they'll get a lot more traction if you present them with some humility, and without dumping on people who have put years of hard work into becoming successful in this industry.
Joe....i'm enjoying your feedback more and more as I get to know you better. You're admitting and acknowledging the other day how "screwed up" the domain industry is was music to my ears.

With regards to "humility" ....Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when......:xf.wink: Finally, you must feel quite threatened by me by fearing "I'm dumping on people who have put years of hard work into becoming successful in this industry" I look at it a little differently Joe and Verisign agrees with me saying that millions of good honest consumers and business owners could save millions/billions of dollars if it were not for the "Hoard" factor in the domain industry. When you were saying the industry is "screwed up", I can only assume that's what you were talking about. Thanks again(y)

Finally, I offered to help Brad, and I can help you too if you weren't so defensive.

•••
Joe....i'm enjoying your feedback more and more as I get to know you better. You're admitting and acknowledging the other day how "screwed up" the domain industry is was music to my ears.

With regards to "humility" ....Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when......:xf.wink: Finally, you must feel quite threatened by me by fearing "I'm dumping on people who have put years of hard work into becoming successful in this industry" I look at it a little differently Joe and Verisign agrees with me saying that millions of good honest consumers and business owners could save millions/billions of dollars if it were not for the "Hoard" factor in the domain industry. When you were saying the industry is "screwed up", I can only assume that's what you were talking about. Thanks again(y)

Finally, I offered to help Brad, and I can help you too if you weren't so defensive.

No offense, but in the years you have been on NamePros I have yet to see a single thing from you that would help me make one extra sale.

Also, you are "hoarding" as much as anyone else. You are also supporting a registry that is "hoarding" domains. They held back thousands of high quality terms which they are demanding premium prices for.

Beanie babies are a better investment than .online domains. This is just your latest flavor of the week after .realty and others.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
No offense, but in the years you have been on NamePros I have yet to see a single thing from you that would help me make one extra sale.

Also, you are "hoarding" as much as anyone else. You are also supporting a registry that is "hoarding" domains. They held back thousands of high quality terms which they are demanding premium prices for.

Beanie babies are a better investment than .online domains. This is just your latest flavor of the week after .realty and others.

Brad
I started buying Steiff bears around 10 years ago - these are worth more than most of the .online examples I have seen on here......

•••

I'm intrigued, Rich! What kind of help are you offering?

•••
I'm intrigued, Rich! What kind of help are you offering?
Lets see how much you've learned already Joe....if I were to gift you Reservations.online, how would you price it for, what research might you do, how much would you ask for it and how would you go about getting your domain in front of potential buyers? It may take you a few hours but consider this a test to see how much you've learned. Take your time Joe, I'm not in a hurry and maybe Brad can help you.

•••
Lets see how much you've learned already Joe....if I were to gift you Reservations.online, how would you price it for, what research might you do, how much would you ask for it and how would you go about getting your domain in front of potential buyers? It may take you a few hours but consider this a test to see how much you've learned. Take your time Joe, I'm not in a hurry and maybe Brad can help you.

You're good at delegating, @ThatNameGuy :)

•••
I'd likely list it on a make offer lander and patiently await inbound leads in order to maximize my sales price. Like I said... my domain investing goals are to make a little extra side income without too much time investment, and to build my way to a few very valuable assets, so this patient approach would be in line with those goals.

What would you do?

•••
•••
I'd likely list it on a make offer lander and patiently await inbound leads in order to maximize my sales price. Like I said... my domain investing goals are to make a little extra side income without too much time investment, and to build my way to a few very valuable assets, so this patient approach would be in line with those goals.

What would you do?
I don't get it....you sure spend a lot of time with me?

What do you think of this...while the brokerage I'll be working with will be outbound marketing to "end users", what do you think about a percent of the sale and a percent of the annual renewal be set aside to promote the .online extension to the general public (we plan to build that into our price). So little is known about this industry in general, it sure would help the exposure.

•••
What do you think of this...while the brokerage I'll be working with will be outbound marketing to "end users", what do you think about a percent of the sale and a percent of the annual renewal be set aside to promote the .online extension to the general public (we plan to build that into our price). So little is known about this industry in general, it sure would help the exposure.
It's an interesting idea. Seeing as you'd be providing free promotion for Radix, are they prepared to offer you some kind of incentive in lieu of a fee for services?

I'd be a little worried that it would be throwing good money after bad... not because the promotion would be done poorly, but because such a vast level of promotion would be required to make a significant dent in the domination of .com. Before committing to that kind of arrangement, I'd want to know a lot more about:
  • how the extension is currently being promoted
  • the level of engagement and conversion of those efforts
  • promotional efforts of other extensions: what have .co, .io, .xyz and a few others done successfully?
You'd essentially be an ambassador of .online. To make it financially viable in the short-term (i.e. to make money at it), I would want some financial guarantees from Radix in the form of a payment-for-services type of contract. Foregoing that, if you're going it alone and assuming all or most of the risk yourself, I'd be prepared for a few years operating at a loss with the hope that you would build enough of a following to get yourself into the black.

It's interesting to hear that you have a brokerage prepared to do the outbound marketing for you. Do they have a good track record with .online names, or other ngTLD names? Do they have confidence in being able to market your whole portfolio, or are there certain types of names they specialize in?

Last edited:
•••
It's an interesting idea. Seeing as you'd be providing free promotion for Radix, are they prepared to offer you some kind of incentive in lieu of a fee for services?

I'd be a little worried that it would be throwing good money after bad... not because the promotion would be done poorly, but because such a vast level of promotion would be required to make a significant dent in the domination of .com. Before committing to that kind of arrangement, I'd want to know a lot more about:
  • how the extension is currently being promoted
  • the level of engagement and conversion of those efforts
  • promotional efforts of other extensions: what have .co, .io, .xyz and a few others done successfully?
You'd essentially be an ambassador of .online. To make it financially viable in the short-term (i.e. to make money at it), I would want some financial guarantees from Radix in the form of a payment-for-services type of contract. Foregoing that, if you're going it alone and assuming all or most of the risk yourself, I'd be prepared for a few years operating at a loss with the hope that you would build enough of a following to get yourself into the black.

It's interesting to hear that you have a brokerage prepared to do the outbound marketing for you. Do they have a good track record with .online names, or other ngTLD names? Do they have confidence in being able to market your whole portfolio, or are there certain types of names they specialize in?
Joe....now we're talking and I hope your friend Brad will jump in here when I'm finished telling you about my plans for the "out bound" brokerage. While everything isn't locked down yet, I'm getting closer....not to dying, but closer to operating a successful brokerage doing it my way. In addition to talking with Radix I'm talking with others a well. On topic: The situation with GD and Reservations.online where they originally had it for sale for $1 and due to a "glitch" in their system the sale didn't go through. Then a trouble ticket was opened on it, and the next thing I knew I was getting an email saying they now wanted 500K for it. Since I had a very similar situation with a local registry Dominion Domains involving HomeSweet.homes, when they knew I might want it, they raised the price for it from $85 to $64,000. Then when I threatened to report them to the FTC, the BBB and take the story to the Newpaper, ABC, NBC and CBS they offered to give the name which I refused, but I told them at the time it was the most unethical thing i've witnessed in business since I started my first business while in college in 1970. Now circling back to GD, in writing they've offered to give me Reservations.online again for $1, but I still haven't seen it in my account. They too know I'll take this wherever it leads me, because I've uncovered fraud and unethical business practices all over this industry...thus the reason I own Whistleblower.online....and trust me I'll blow that whistle so damn hard and loud, every domain broker in he world will hear it, especially Go Daddy.

btw, we'll get back to the brokerage deal later, but birdie told me a couple of other single word domains are available, and after i finish keying this, I plan to check on them;

Disrupter.xxxxxx
and
Tweener.xxxxxx

What do you think Joe:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Just one more thing Joe....I'm looking at possibly getting 250K in startup financing, and with my background in business and start ups that should be plenty. Collectively we already own enough domains, and to hit the ground running all we need is a top notch sales person who has a proven track record making outbound sales. We already have someone in mind for that position and we just need to make it attractive enough for her to come on board. That said, I'll share with you personally how I plan to sell/market two domains; 1. TownBank.online and 2. TownRealty.online except with a slight variation. With the first name TownBank.com already exists and just so happens to be the largest consumer bank in my area, and banks like Wells Fargo and Bank of America are ranked 2nd and 3rd behind Town in deposits. I also happen to know the Chairman and CEO of the bank and my brother-in-law, a lawyer happens to be on the BOD. I think they know me well enough and trust me enough that I'd never take advantage of them, despite the reputation a few tards have tried to paint me around here. Personally I believe if you already have the .com version it probably makes good sense that you should also have the .online version of your name. Now before you say anything about TM issues etc. trust me, I've looked into that. Then take the second name..TownRealty.online. The bank I was just referring to also has a pretty large real estate division that operates as Berkshire Hathaway Towne Realty, and this is their email; bhhstownerealty.com. Now here's what's interesting, if you go to TowneRealty.com it leads to a real estate company in Squammash, Washington that has no relationship with the local Town Realty and it' parent company Town Bank. Thus, and they don't know it yet, but TowneRealty.online is available to them and their 250 agents to either build a gallery of homes behind the domain, or to use anyway they choose. Remember, the .com isn't available to them anyway. Joe, situations similar to this exist in both the US and Canada, and I'm learning from some people the .online extension, especially used like Reservations.Online is really pretty cool. Even a former business partner of mine this evening who I told the whole story to about GD and the name, thought Reservations.Online is a killer name, and this guy is smarter than me:xf.wink: (not too hard).
If you have connections like that who would be interested in operating commercial website on those names, that would certainly be a good start. More than promotion, development and adoption of these new extensions is what would truly help them to grow and gain value.

I think the reason I've stayed away from the new TLDs is that I wouldn't have the conviction required to do a good job of selling them. If the .com is unavailable, how do I convince them that the extension I'm offering is the next best option, since there are in fact many "next best options" (like .net, .co, .io, their relevant country code, or any other TLD that matches their needs)?

Reservations.online is indeed a solid new TLD name, and it would be quite a coup to get it for $1. If that comes to fruition, it would be great to hear all the details of how it happened. I wouldn't have thought GoDaddy had the authority to give away a premium name being held by the registry.

Last edited:
•••
If you have connections like that who would be interested in operating commercial website on those names, that would certainly be a good start. More than promotion, development and adoption of these new extensions is what would truly help them to grow and gain value.

I think the reason I've stayed away from the new TLDs is that I wouldn't have the conviction required to do a good job of selling them. If the .com is unavailable, how do I convince them that the extension I'm offering is the next best option, since there are in fact many "next best options" (like .net, .co, .io, their relevant country code, or any other TLD that matches their needs)?

Reservations.online is indeed a solid new TLD name, and it would be quite a coup to get it for $1. If that comes to fruition, it would be great to hear all the details of how it happened. I wouldn't have thought GoDaddy had the authority to give away a premium name being held by the registry.
It's my opinion that .online is the second best thing to king .com, and who's to say it isn't:xf.smile: Afterall I'm not selling domains to other domainer's like you....i could really give a rats petuna what you think about it. I have a business resume that far exceeds yours Joe regardless of what you think or say. Why should I be humble if it's a fact:xf.rolleyes:

•••
It's my opinion that .online is the second best thing to king .com, and who's to say it isn't:xf.smile: Afterall I'm not selling domains to other domainer's like you....i could really give a rats petuna what you think about it. I have a business resume that far exceeds yours Joe regardless of what you think or say. Why should I be humble if it's a fact:xf.rolleyes:
And I have a domaining resume that exceeds yours, so I think that makes my opinion valid enough. Why did you turn a good discussion into an attack on me?

Anyway, .online may very well end up being the next best option for end users one day. All I said was that I wouldn't know how to market it as such. Your argument that all domain extensions are the same applies to all domain extensions. So what makes .online stand out beyond the word itself? Like you said... it's your opinion.

•••
And I have a domaining resume that exceeds yours, so I think that makes my opinion valid enough. Why did you turn a good discussion into an attack on me?

Anyway, .online may very well end up being the next best option for end users one day. All I said was that I wouldn't know how to market it as such. Your argument that all domain extensions are the same applies to all domain extensions. So what makes .online stand out beyond the word itself? Like you said... it's your opinion.

I have known countless people who ran a successful business then failed in the domain world. It is an entirely different field.

You can't just assume because you ran some other business decades ago it is going to translate.

Richard thinks he is smarter than everyone else, including people who have had far more success than him in this field. It is that type of mindset, where you think you know it all and are not willing to learn, where you are destined to fail.
8ns9b0l2ior4j0w42h2q.jpg

Last edited:
•••

"Why did you turn a good discussion to an attack on me?" You do it to me ALL THE TIME:xf.eek:. That's why you ALWAYS have the last word. YOUR TURN:xf.wink:

•••
You only posted half the sentence.
You're too funny...i already admitted to my comment. You could have had the last word last night, but you just didn't have the stamina Joe. While you were sleeping I was psyched and registered another 70 .online domains mostly valued at a little over a million dollars "if" they were .com's.

You've said many a time that you're agenda here is to protect innocent newbies who may fall prey to my agenda. Do you see the irony Joe? What you're really trying to do is dispel or cancel free speech.

I know you're doing your best to say when I "invest" $70 to buy 70 domains like NamePro.online, QualityDomains.online, Reservations.online, Whistleblower.online, ChefGourmet.online, TownBank.online, PrimeBank.online etc., then back up my buys with solid reasoning, it just has to be killing you.

Just one other thing I'll mention Joe....does Canada have have the equivalent of America's FTC or Federal Trade Commission to investigate fraudulent, corrupt and unfair trade practices like I'm uncovering almost daily in the domain industry? You don't know what the FDCPA stands for, but it stands for the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. It went into affect in the US in 1978, and as President of the Virginia Collectors Association at the time, I was partially instrumental in writing the legislation.

Don't you think it's about time for the Domain industry to do something similar about the "scalping" and "hoarding" of domain names to the detriment of consumers and businesses?

Again, we know each others agenda and I've made it perfectly what mine is. I wonder if PerfectlyClear.online is available to register? I haven't checked yet, but I see where PerfectlyClear.com is taken and valued at $7,246. Joe, much to your chagrin .online is gaining traction, not just because of my Whistleblower actions, because something known as "Common Sense" that you claim to have:xf.smile: I wonder if CommonSense.online is available Joe?...i'm going to check it out. You're not the only one who claims to have common sense:xf.rolleyes:

•••
You've said many a time that you're agenda here is to protect innocent newbies who may fall prey to my agenda. Do you see the irony Joe? What you're really trying to do is dispel or cancel free speech.
How can I stop anyone from speaking freely on a forum that I don't control? Are you saying that I shouldn't be speaking freely by providing an opinion that's contrary to your own?
Don't you think it's about time for the Domain industry to do something similar about the "scalping" and "hoarding" of domain names to the detriment of consumers and businesses?
How would you define "hoarding" and "scalping"?

Am I a hoarder? Are you? What about a domainer that owns 5,000 names? 10,000?

When does one cross the line into hoarding territory? And what do you propose the industry should do to combat people who have crossed this arbitrary line?

•••
How can I stop anyone from speaking freely on a forum that I don't control? Are you saying that I shouldn't be speaking freely by providing an opinion that's contrary to your own?

How would you define "hoarding" and "scalping"?

Am I a hoarder? Are you? What about a domainer that owns 5,000 names? 10,000?

When does one cross the line into hoarding territory? And what do you propose the industry should do to combat people who have crossed this arbitrary line?
Sorry Joe and Brad....you guys are peons compared to Go Daddy, Uniregistry, HugeDomains, Sedo, etc. I really don't care to discuss my Whistleblower.online plans with either of you. Now that my lawyer and the FTC are involved, we're talking about a whole new ball game.....next play:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Sorry Joe and Brad....you guys are peons compared to Go Daddy, Uniregistry, HugeDomains, Sedo, etc. I really don't care to discuss my Whistleblower.online plans with either of you. Now that my lawyer and the FTC are involved, we're talking about a whole new ball game.....next play:xf.wink:
So is it purely the number of domains owned by an entity or person that makes them hoarders? What's the cut-off?

•••
chagrin.online is available to register. You're welcome.
Thanks...so were you here to comment on Reservations.online? How about Whistleblower.online or possibly GunSafety.online in case you want to learn how to shoot a gun online from the privacy of your home?

Thanks so much your intellectual contribution. (y)

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back