Dynadot

Taking screenshots of your registrar account to prove domain ownership - LOL

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

B Klug

Established Member
Impact
Afternic and Godaddy: I'm looking at you, kid.

Context: So, it's time to add your most recent 10 domains to the usual platforms. You go on Afternic and paste in the list ... and inevitably 1 or 2 of the names will have been previously listed on the platform by another user.

There is no automatic process to fix this, so you contact their support.

Every time .. they ask for a SCREENSHOT of your own registrar account. So I go into namesilo, search the name, take a screenshot and send it to them. How stupid is this???

The same thing just happened with GoDaddy. Domains already listed by previous owner(s) of the names ... so I contact support and again they ask for freakin screenshots.

This can be fakes SO easy ... just right click on the domain name in your account, click "Inspect", edit the HTML and now take a screenshot.

So in the most recent response to GoDaddy I included "proof" that I also own godaddy.com LOL.

The most annoying thing is BOTH THESE PLATFORMS USE TXT RECORDS to verify domains. Every single one of my domains automatically gets the TXT record added when I add it to my portfolio (one for afternic, godaddy, flippa, etc).

So not only are they using a MANUAL, INSECURE method ... they could be using a totally secure and AUTOMATED method to handle these removal requests! I mean the TXT record was their idea in the first place ... they should use it for this ...

5Cq714p.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i don't get it
are u saying txt records dont work or what??

•••
When adding a name to the system, they use TXT records to verify ownership.

HOWEVER - if you run into the case when someone else already listed the name -- you can't add the name at all. Instead you have to contact support asking them to first remove the old name before you can add it again.

It's the case when they verify ownership in order to remove a name a previous customer listed they don't check TXT records. It wouldn't be so bad if this didn't happen pretty much every single time I need to list a batch of domains, especially with Afternic. There is always 1 or 2 previously listed, so its a manual support ticket every time...

Last edited:
•••
•••
ok my bad. i get it
well txt records are tricky across various registrars.. some dont let u add txt unles u point dns to registrar... which sucks.. so i don't even bother with txt anywhere... and send pics of everything.. at least i never run into owenership issues for those i can't add. so maybe thats best. i dunno

•••
I agree with alcy.

If the only way to prove ownership was via txt then all I would do during my workday would be editing domains back and forth since I use different NS for my domains than my registrar's and, afaik, to edit txt the NS need to be the registrar's NS (please correct me if I'm wrong).

•••
When adding a name to the system, they use TXT records to verify ownership.

HOWEVER - if you run into the case when someone else already listed the name -- you can't add the name at all. Instead you have to contact support asking them to first remove the old name before you can add it again.

It's the case when they verify ownership in order to remove a name a previous customer listed they don't check TXT records. It wouldn't be so bad if this didn't happen pretty much every single time I need to list a batch of domains, especially with Afternic. There is always 1 or 2 previously listed, so its a manual support ticket every time...

On the same platform (marketplace) adding new txt and verified should cancel previous txt (listed from previous owner). If different platform, it is their responsibility to check live (daily) txt. When txt is gone they should drop it. Txt is credible enough to prove owenership. Google does that on Google webmaster.

•••
I agree with alcy.

If the only way to prove ownership was via txt then all I would do during my workday would be editing domains back and forth since I use different NS for my domains than my registrar's and, afaik, to edit txt the NS need to be the registrar's NS (please correct me if I'm wrong).

there are some odd registrars where this is the rule.. but not all..
i know dyna needs to point to dyna dns if u want txt record edit

godaddy no i think..

i can't be sure.. but imho i would still say most do not need to point to registrsr dns.. still.. most doesn't do it.. and in my case i have 90% of folio on dyna

•••
TXT record, or any other record, has to be added on the nameservers to which the domain is pointed. It's a basic rule of the Internet. So obviously you have to point the domain to the registrar's nameservers if you want to add the record in the registrar's panel - otherwise just add it in the panel of whomever runs the nameservers the domain points to (e.g. hosting). However parkings, markets etc. don't allow record editing so it's a rather cumbersome verification method.

Last edited:
•••
TXT record, or any other record, has to be added on the nameservers to which the domain is pointed. It's a basic rule of the Internet. So obviously you have to point the domain to the registrar's nameservers if you want to add the record in the registrar's panel - otherwise just add it in the panel of whomever runs the nameservers the domain points to (e.g. hosting). However parkings, markets etc. don't allow record editing so it's a rather cumbersome verification method.

hmmm... its possible i am wrong.. but I could almost guarantee I saw some registrars where pointing to their dns was not required to enter txt record. but u probably know this better.

•••
hmmm... its possible i am wrong.. but I could almost guarantee I saw some registrars where pointing to their dns was not required to enter txt record. but u probably know this better.

This it not technically possible. I mean, they could allow you to add the record in their panel, sure. But this record will not be visible to anyone unless the domain points to their nameservers. :)

•••
This it not technically possible. I mean, they could allow you to add the record in their panel, sure. But this record will not be visible to anyone unless the domain points to their nameservers. :)

lol
now that i think of it maybe thats why my txt verifies failed there and then
so dumb lol

•••
Before adding txt file, usually we need use nameserver from current registrar, set manually via manage dns or dns management . Other method is using external dns like name server from your hosting, or using free dns server to manage some record .

•••
I agree with alcy.

Txt records are in the DNS so you need to set that up ar whoever's you use to manage your DNS.

I will say since disabling whois privacy on my domains I haven thad to do that. As they can see the domains whois matches my Afternic account details. Still an annoyingly manual process IMO as I still have to email them and wait to list it.

Last edited:
•••
Txt records are in the DNS so you need to set that up ar whoever's you use to manage your DNS.

That's not possible for any of us that buy domains for parking.

In order to prove my ownership via txt, I have to wait until any of the sales venues I'll be using verify my ownership and only then switch to the parking service. That not only equals wasted time but also potential revenue lost.

Things get even worse if I decide to sell a domain while already parked. I will then have to stop the parking just to set the txt for each sales venue that needs it and then switch back.

Txt verification imo is a terrible way to prove ownership if it's the only way . I have no problem if people want to use that but it doesn't apply to all cases so there have to be more options for that.

•••
That's not possible for any of us that buy domains for parking.

In order to prove my ownership via txt, I have to wait until any of the sales venues I'll be using verify my ownership and only then switch to the parking service. That not only equals wasted time but also potential revenue lost.

Things get even worse if I decide to sell a domain while already parked. I will then have to stop the parking just to set the txt for each sales venue that needs it and then switch back.

Txt verification imo is a terrible way to prove ownership if it's the only way . I have no problem if people want to use that but it doesn't apply to all cases so there have to be more options for that.

That's more of a problem with the parking provider. No reason they couldn't allow you to add txt records or give you a cname to use your own dns.

•••
I agree that TXT records shouldn't be the only way, I was just suggesting them since they already use that method to verify domains in general as one of the options. But I guess my point was whatever set of options they usually use to verify the ownership (i.e. when listing a domain) those should also be the options when proving them you own a domain that is already listed on the platform and you need support to remove it before you can list yours. And it could be automatic, saving both parties work.

I transfer all my good names to Namesilo and use DNS Templates to one click apply an entire set of DNS options (including TXT records for godaddy, afternic, flippa, etc) to multiple domains at the sam time when adding them. In addition to the normal DNS to setup an efty landing page etc.

But sorry for implying that should be the only way when that wasn't my intent :D

Last edited:
•••
Perhaps this is not the right thread to mention it, but what do people think of the new DAN method where you add a third DNS record with a verification code. It would get around the problem of some registrars do not allow a TXT record (I don't think many but at least a few). and might be easier. I have not used it yet and just learned about it.
Bob

•••
Afternic and Godaddy: I'm looking at you, kid.

Context: So, it's time to add your most recent 10 domains to the usual platforms. You go on Afternic and paste in the list ... and inevitably 1 or 2 of the names will have been previously listed on the platform by another user.

There is no automatic process to fix this, so you contact their support.

Every time .. they ask for a SCREENSHOT of your own registrar account. So I go into namesilo, search the name, take a screenshot and send it to them. How stupid is this???

The same thing just happened with GoDaddy. Domains already listed by previous owner(s) of the names ... so I contact support and again they ask for freakin screenshots.

This can be fakes SO easy ... just right click on the domain name in your account, click "Inspect", edit the HTML and now take a screenshot.

So in the most recent response to GoDaddy I included "proof" that I also own godaddy.com LOL.

The most annoying thing is BOTH THESE PLATFORMS USE TXT RECORDS to verify domains. Every single one of my domains automatically gets the TXT record added when I add it to my portfolio (one for afternic, godaddy, flippa, etc).

So not only are they using a MANUAL, INSECURE method ... they could be using a totally secure and AUTOMATED method to handle these removal requests! I mean the TXT record was their idea in the first place ... they should use it for this ...

5Cq714p.png

-
tried to list a 'info' a few days ago and found it was still listed by former owner. contacted afternic support and a few hours later received an email saying it had been removed and i could go ahead and add it to my account. proof of ownership was not asked for. this has happened several times and i am never asked for proof of ownership.

•••
-
tried to list a 'info' a few days ago and found it was still listed by former owner. contacted afternic support and a few hours later received an email saying it had been removed and i could go ahead and add it to my account. proof of ownership was not asked for. this has happened several times and i am never asked for proof of ownership.

Really? Maybe they just like you!

One time they didn't even think my screenshot was good enough - it showed my whole account but I cropped off the part with my username -- which is also weird since they wouldn't know what my username is and it is nothing like my real name:

Hello Brian,

Thank you for contacting Afternic!

Currently we can not verify the domain with the screenshot you have sent us. Please send clear and visible proof you own the domain so we can review it, we will be happy to assist further!

Please let us know if we can assist further regarding this matter!

Kind regards,
Ivan S.
Afternic Support
Anyway - GoDaddy replied to me - they removed the names and simply didn't comment on the screenshot / "proof" of godaddy domain ownership at all. A little unprofessional since I'm trying to provide them feedback to better run their business and they didn't even acknowledge it, but okay.

•••

One time they didn't even think my screenshot was good enough - it showed my whole account but I cropped off the part with my username -- which is also weird since they wouldn't know what my username is and it is nothing like my real name:

Hello Brian,

Currently we can not verify the domain with the screenshot you have sent us. Please send clear and visible proof you own the domain so we can review it, we will be happy to assist further!

Kind regards,
Ivan S.
Afternic Support
Anyway - GoDaddy replied to me - they removed the names and simply didn't comment on the screenshot / "proof" of godaddy domain ownership at all. A little unprofessional since I'm trying to provide them feedback to better run their business and they didn't even acknowledge it, but okay.

-
do you have to provide proof of ownership when listing domains?

•••
•••
dont really use afternic much... i gave up on them when I saw that 100 or so of my domains go randomly in and out of pending review status. i login one day. in review=0... login few days later.. without touching anything.. inreview =100.
so random.

but if I remmeber correctly, the verification process is diff on afternic vs gd.. right? or its also about txt on afternic?

•••
-

Hello Brian,

Kind regards,
Ivan S.
Afternic Support

My guess is it had public whois thst matched there Afternic account. I haven't had to provide screenshots since turning off privacy on my domains.

•••
I bet you are right. Why did you turn privacy off?

•••
Back