IT.COM

question-answered TABOO: IS “DISCLOSING OFFERS ONLINE” a form of “KISSING AND TELLING”?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

💋 Do you believe in proverbially “kissing and telling” with domain offers?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 😘 Absolutely! Sound the alarm!

votes
    0.0%
  • 😏 It depends on the offer.

votes
    40.0%
  • 🤫 No. I’m rather private.

votes
    60.0%
  • 😂 I’d rather hug and tell.

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

QUAD DOMAINS

Established Member
Impact
🐰 So, somewhere down the rabbit-hole of QUAD office discussions the subject of whether “sharing domain offers on social-media” amounts to the domainer’s version of “kissing and telling” came up. For those of you unfamiliar with the reference, “kissing and telling” alludes to making something public that might otherwise need to remain private. (At least if you want “it” to happen again.)

🤔 The discussion was quite animated; but was filled with some thought-provoking commentary. It prompted most of the team to ponder whether the idea of sharing too much on social-media applies to the domain space. Of course every domainer has the right to do what works for them; but it’s worth considering whether sharing in this case is truly “caring” or “daring”. Especially in the public sphere.

🏃‍♂️ For the record, QUAD doesn’t disclose offers for a few reasons. One of which being that potential clients and competitors frequent the same social-media channels we do. To us, disclosing an offer is like getting the phone number of an attractive person, running to the street, waving it around and yelling “look what I got”. (Someone in the office discussion actually used this exact example.)

🧢 All in all, QUAD isn’t against the concept of posting domain offers online or asking others whether they should be accepted or declined. It’s just not our style. Hats off to domainers or companies this approach works for though. We just wanted to take a moment and share some of our internal discussion with others in the domain space and get some different views. Also, there’s a friendly wager on the table.

😀 You’re welcome to vote and share your thoughts.

🗣 Mel
QUAD DOMAINS

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to share an offer, for instance to lead into a discussion on valuation.

Domain value is subjective, and sometimes it helps to get other opinions.

Brad

•••
Most people do it to get followers and or to brag.

•••
Generally the only time I would mention an offer is to discuss the value of a domain or to point out some ahole with a bad attitude...things like meritless trademark threats or other bad faith offers.

Brad

•••
Gotta agree with Brad on this one; I never disclose deal details unless it's for helping with the prevention of fraud or similar.

•••
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to share an offer, for instance to lead into a discussion on valuation.

Domain value is subjective, and sometimes it helps to get other opinions.

Brad
👍 Agreed. There are times where an offer does serve as a “discussion starter/guide”. On the flip-side, there are some disclosures that simply categorize as “bragging”.

👀 In some cases, a disclosed offer could be a falsification of narrative to drive interest in a particular domain. Especially with some folks “photoshopping offer emails” and the like.

🧂 It’s probably best to take offer disclosures with a grain of salt unless they can be verified. Even then, it’s still an offer and NOT a sale. By the way, thanks for taking the time to weigh in.

Mel
🗣 QUAD Domains

•••
👀 There’s definitely merit to your point. Social-media is where engagement farming typically epitomizes the user-experience/intent. Telling a slew of domaining hopefuls you just received a 100k offer for a domain will likely net you a few eyeballs and followers. It’s not something that QUAD believes in doing; but we’re aware of it.

🤝 Your point is most appreciated!

🗣 Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
Gotta agree with Brad on this one; I never disclose deal details unless it's for helping with the prevention of fraud or similar.
💪 @JDD That’s quite the noble thing to do. Fraud prevention is definitely necessary; but in some instances “offer fraud” can be complicated to get a hold on. This is due to the fact “sales reporting” is fact-checked far more than “offer reporting”.

🙏 However, it’s the offer reporting that drives a lot of value-perception and, dare we say, the domain investing culture. It’s a tough one; but thanks for doing your part to help make the playing-field more honest. After all, there’s a level of truth to be maintained in everything.

🗣 Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
👍 Agreed. There are times where an offer does serve as a “discussion starter/guide”. On the flip-side, there are some disclosures that simply categorize as “bragging”.

👀 In some cases, a disclosed offer could be a falsification of narrative to drive interest in a particular domain. Especially with some folks “photoshopping offer emails” and the like.

🧂 It’s probably best to take offer disclosures with a grain of salt unless they can be verified. Even then, it’s still an offer and NOT a sale. By the way, thanks for taking the time to weigh in.

Mel
🗣 QUAD Domains
I totally agree with this. The ulterior motive is to strum up interest in their name, shill and to brag.

In I’d say 80% of the cases its not to provide a learning experience. I’d rather learn and hear the story after an actual sale.

Offers many times mean nothing— we all get tirekickers, fishers and fake offers.

Disclosing offers publicly in many contexts we see is tacky as well.

Last edited:
•••
Who cares about offers? I care about money in the bank. A 10M offer = zero money in the bank.

•••
Back