Dynadot

poll Synchronization - new trend/market?!

NameSilo
Watch

Have you ever sold any sync. names in these extensions / social media handles?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • .xyz

vote
    25.0%
  • .io

votes
    0.0%
  • .com

vote
    25.0%
  • twitter handle

vote
    25.0%
  • instagram handle

votes
    0.0%
  • .eth

votes
    0.0%
  • .sol

votes
    0.0%
  • other (reply in comments)

vote
    25.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Centauri

Established Member
Impact
Hey Guys,

as I have observed during the last months, but generally spoken overall all years is, that many website or platform entrepreneurs as well as bloggers or influencers are interested in syncing their names:

one and the same name for:
  • domain
  • twitter handle
  • instagram handle
  • youtube channel name
  • etc. like paypal.me links - anything, that is unique per sé

Also, website admins try to own same names in diff. extensions (long lasting trend)
just as prominent example, opensea.io / which also owns opensea.com

Or, blockchain / web3 extensions like .eth, .sol, .wallet, .crypto aso [unstoppable / handshake domains].

The latest development is that (some) website admins, especially coming from metaverse / nft / web3 projects,
try to get the .xyz extension of their .com (net/io/org) domain name.

What do you say about that?!

Do you have any experience in trading names like these,
and did you - next to internet domains - ever sold any social media handles (sth. alike)?!

Best,
Centauri

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's just a bit of trend but not something that is worth banking on.

Go to Namebio and search for "sync" anywhere in the domain, any TLD, > $1000 range so we weed out non-valuables.

There's a constant 7...8 sales per year in the last few years. This year will perhaps go over 10 or so given the fact we're still in August.

So it's rather a weak word... getting a bit less weak, not strong or anything else.

I don't bother buying domains where the niche word is like 10 sales / year on NB as there's too little money in that, buyers are rare.

•••
•••
It's just a bit of trend but not something that is worth banking on.

Go to Namebio and search for "sync" anywhere in the domain, any TLD, > $1000 range so we weed out non-valuables.

There's a constant 7...8 sales per year in the last few years. This year will perhaps go over 10 or so given the fact we're still in August.

So it's rather a weak word... getting a bit less weak, not strong or anything else.

I don't bother buying domains where the niche word is like 10 sales / year on NB as there's too little money in that, buyers are rare.
Ups, @twiki, you may have understood it not correctly, my bad :xf.frown: :xf.smile:

I do not mean the term 'sync';
I mean buying/selling same domain name with diff. extensions
(like greatname.com > in .xyz or .eth - - owner of .com would may have some interest in those extensions)

•••
Why there is no option for "No" in the poll?

I am in the business of selling domains (actually, brands tied to domains, but for the purposes of this forum, let's say it is the same), not handles, syncs etc. That would overly complicate the inventory administration without providing enough return.

Maybe, covering the basis with buying .net and .org was working before, but not after so many new options appeared. And handles were easy when those social media sites just popped up, but nowadays almost every reasonable combo is taken. Trading them is against the tos and often require an email per each etc.

•••
Atm, I am in negotiation with a german musician, who posses the right instagram handle, but now wants their corresponding .de / .com domain... as he goes into NFT (& which I own btw).

Is that what you call a sync?!
:sneaky:

•••
Why there is no option for "No" in the poll?

I am in the business of selling domains (actually, brands tied to domains, but for the purposes of this forum, let's say it is the same), not handles, syncs etc. That would overly complicate the inventory administration without providing enough return.

Maybe, covering the basis with buying .net and .org was working before, but not after so many new options appeared. And handles were easy when those social media sites just popped up, but nowadays almost every reasonable combo is taken. Trading them is against the tos and often require an email per each etc.
Having the same .xyz extension for a .com website, and offering it to its owner is "business of selling domains", ain't it?!

As what comes to social media, yeah that might be overly complicated, but I just ment it as add-on, if possible.

I once owned a great Twitter handle, which was about sport, gym, nutrition, and a big nutrition supplier for bodybuilding found it interesting, which ended in a quite great deal.
(I personally had no usage for this handle, and this way or the other would have changed it. That way I made some cash).

By now, .xyz domains are very high in demand, and I hope to be able to have some luck here.

(Metaverse -> mv domains is another field; you would like to own the abbreviation of your domain name).

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Having the same .xyz extension for a .com website, and offering it to its owner is "business of selling domains", ain't it?!

As what comes to social media, yeah that might be overly complicated, but I just ment it as add-on, if possible.

I once owned a great Twitter handle, which was about sport, gym, nutrition, and a big nutrition supplier for bodybuilding found it interesting, which ended in a quite great deal.
(I personally had no usage for this handle, and this way or the other would have changed it. That way I made some cash).

By now, .xyz domains are very high in demand, and I hope to be able to have some luck here.

(Metaverse -> mv domains is another field; you would like to own the abbreviation of your domain name).

Regards

I personally don't recommend to any of my clients to consider .xyz for anything. It is, frankly, a bad business decision.

For a prudent business, the true necessary options are simple:

- .com if in the USA and/or with any global/regional/international ambitions.
- local cctld if focusing on the local market, including .us for the American companies
- .org for non-profit or for a cause, social etc. .com works as well
- if you can't get .com, then the best fallback position is to get .net/.org

If you want to cover all basis, get your .com and your cctld, possibly .org too. And you are all set.

Interestingly, most businesses do exactly that with 90%+ of the world operating from .com/.net/.org + cctlds.

•••
I personally don't recommend to any of my clients to consider .xyz for anything. It is, frankly, a bad business decision.

For a prudent business, the true necessary options are simple:

- .com if in the USA and/or with any global/regional/international ambitions.
- local cctld if focusing on the local market, including .us for the American companies
- .org for non-profit or for a cause, social etc. .com works as well
- if you can't get .com, then the best fallback position is to get .net/.org

If you want to cover all basis, get your .com and your cctld, possibly .org too. And you are all set.

Interestingly, most businesses do exactly that with 90%+ of the world operating from .com/.net/.org + cctlds.
Don't share your opinion on .xyz,
but anything else is right of course.

I think also .eth is a very strong extension in the web3 world, as one can see via auctions (-prices) on opensea etc.

It seems there won't be anything coming close to Ethereum, in near future.

Take care.

•••
Don't share your opinion on .xyz,
but anything else is right of course.

I think also .eth is a very strong extension in the web3 world, as one can see via auctions (-prices) on opensea etc.

It seems there won't be anything coming close to Ethereum, in near future.

Take care.

Perhaps, web3 companies are not my target audience. I guess they don't need any branding help ) They get plenty in the discord and whatsapp groups ) I hope they don't get their legal, hr, accounting etc. advice also from those groups :) Web3 is a small ecosystem of its own that has very little interaction with the general population, i.e. 99.9% of humanity.

web3 or not, .xyz is just simply bad idea. The fad will go away and the survivors will learn.

•••
Am holding some great combos,
one and the same term with
.com, .xyz, .eth And handle (Twitter, insta).

No one can tell me that this ain't worth $$$

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back