Dynadot

Suspicious of Snapnames

NameSilo
Watch

dave321

Established Member
Impact
I have a feeling when they catch your name they WAIT for a good amount of time to give other people the opportunity to join in in hopes it can go to auction.

Because theres no reason for it to take 1-2 hours everytime they catch a name BEFORE I get a notification or anything.

If i caught the name myself Id be notified in seconds.

Their entire model is about speed. Doesnt make sense.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have a feeling when they catch your name they WAIT for a good amount of time to give other people the opportunity to join in in hopes it can go to auction.

Because theres no reason for it to take 1-2 hours everytime they catch a name BEFORE I get a notification or anything.

If i caught the name myself Id be notified in seconds.

Their entire model is about speed. Doesnt make sense.

So what is the suspicion? That they're looking to maximize their revenue?

Do you need a suspicion for that?

•••
...idk

Last edited:
•••
maybe Im naive for expecting a business to live up to the service they promise? If I pay to be number 1, I expect number 1 treatment.

•••

You misunderstand the model. ALL of the dropcatching services, not just SnapNames, publish lists of names about to drop, or you can list one which may drop and wait to see if it happens. Those who pre-order with the minimum bid or higher then are eligible to enter the auction if that service is successful in grabbing the "catch", or dropped domain name.

The dropcatch service may or may not catch the name. If it does so then all of those who have that name preordered can join the auction. The latest dates and times allowed for preorder and minimum bid to enter the auction are published well in advance.

Perhaps you preorder without realising others may have already entered initial bids? Or ordered early without realising that the preordering period has only just begun? Bear in mind that once it becomes clear a domain is going to drop, the opportunity to preorder is open to all, not just to the first bidder. The closing date and time for preordering is published and all preorders up to that time are legitimate.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back