Aminata

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

Can you please help me to appraise this domain: Sud.africa.com

Kind regards!
A

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Subdomains have not received any interest from reseller and end-users. Using a subdomain is associated with several drawbacks. Some of the major ones are:
- The control of a subdomain is limited. The provider can decide to stop offering subdomains at anytime, the domain or company can be sold to someone with other plans for development etc.
- Users will probably try out the domain as sudafrica dot com or sud-africa dot com.
- More complicated things, for example, SSL, customized DNS settings etc. will not always be possible.

All in all, using subdomains for any serious and/or long term project is not a good idea.

•••
I think if you hold on to the domain until u get the right buyer u could fetch a decent price.
How much exactly, I'm not sure.

I also have to South African related domains. Gauteng.online and SouthAfrican.online. very brand-able and one would think they would be fast sellers but unfortunately not. I know it would fetch the right price to the right seller so I'm going to wait it out. Which is why I recommend you do the same, wait it out until u get the price you want. (on condition ur price expectations is reasonable)

•••
Do you own this domain ? Afaik .africa isn't delegated yet. Imo it's another pointless extension.
Anyway sud.africa a mix of two languages, so I don't see the point of it.

It can actually work because in South Africa it's very common for people to mix two languages in conversation.

•••
Last edited:
•••
@ dordomai:
Thank you for the link. B-) I really appreciate it.
I was not aware of this "subtlety" when I bought the domain, rather the subdomain; and it does make sense. Now I know better...

•••
•••
Thank you for your input. While I am not very happy, I am less ignorant now.
Hopefully, I can still develop something interesting with my now subdomain and will see how this goes... ? :alien3:

You'd prove how much you've learnt by not developing it, imho.

•••
I think if you hold on to the domain until u get the right buyer u could fetch a decent price.
How much exactly, I'm not sure.

I also have to South African related domains. Gauteng.online and SouthAfrican.online. very brand-able and one would think they would be fast sellers but unfortunately not. I know it would fetch the right price to the right seller so I'm going to wait it out. Which is why I recommend you do the same, wait it out until u get the price you want. (on condition ur price expectations is reasonable)

Hey deez007,
I thank you for your thoughts. I am pretty much of the same conviction as you are. This goe-brandable domains require patience since they have no real seo value per se. Glad I am not the only one...;)

•••
Do you own this domain ? Afaik .africa isn't delegated yet. Imo it's another pointless extension.

•••

Hi there,

I appreciate your input and expertise regarding this "exotic" yet Premium new extension.

The domain sudafrica dot com is estimated at $ 4'300,- on Estibot.

which clearly shows why the domain sud.africa.com is of value, at least for me. :laugh:

•••
Subdomains have not received any interest from reseller and end-users. Using a subdomain is associated with several drawbacks. Some of the major ones are:
- The control of a subdomain is limited. The provider can decide to stop offering subdomains at anytime, the domain or company can be sold to someone with other plans for development etc.
- Users will probably try out the domain as sudafrica dot com or sud-africa dot com.
- More complicated things, for example, SSL, customized DNS settings etc. will not always be possible.

All in all, using subdomains for any serious and/or long term project is not a good idea.

Thank you for your input. While I am not very happy, I am less ignorant now.
Hopefully, I can still develop something interesting with my now subdomain and will see how this goes... ? :alien3:

•••
You'd prove how much you've learnt by not developing it, imho.
Ok, I see... No one is somewhat positive about this being a subdomain. Is there an account of subdomains that have not been taken down or do they systematically end in the trash can ?

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back