IT.COM

Success rate of selling .com to .net owners?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
What are the chances of selling a .com domain name to .net or .co.uk if the latter are business owners like local car dealers?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it'll be hard to sell a .com to a Car dealer .net owner
especially on the local scene. Another thing is the market
may be limited because you're focusing on an individual business
as opposed to the spectrum, but who knows unless you give
it a go.

Good luck

•••
I have sold .COM to .NET owners, and .NET to .COM owners in the past. However, in the vast majority of instances people are happy with what they have and are not interested.

•••
I don't have a single success on 10 tries.

•••
I have sold .net's to the .com owners. However the success rate is very small (about 2%). But the .net's I was selling were at a good price and very random names so it was still good for me.

•••
Same here... Not too much success, especially since most of mine are very generic terms.

•••
I have sold quite a few COM names to the NET owners - what seems to work well for me is if the NET owner has an established website on the NET name (the bigger the better giving more chance of visitors coming to the COM name).

Usually they are not prepared to pay more than a couple of hundred dollars or pounds but if you have got the name for reg fee or near it, you can turn quite a good profit.

DavidH

•••
If the owner "get's it", it should be an easy sell. Since most end users "don't get it", this is a hard sell!

It's all about explaining and if you do it right, you should be able to sell.

Lost Traffic = X will not be missed any more
Forwarding = very easy
No Change = No change at their site, beside a traffic growth B-) Most people do not understand domain forwarding, so it would be vital to make sure they understood this process.
etc.

•••
selling a .com to a current .net owner should be easier than selling a .net to a current .com owner, but like Yofie said that is if the possible buyer "gets it" if not you would have to make your case that .com would carry the most type in traffic if the domain contains keywords that are searched

•••
I just picked up a dotcom, and found the dotnet is an established media site in Europe. My name is one of their new ventures, and the have the dotnet.

My original idea was to "innocently" offer mid $XXX for their dotnet domain. That might spur them to offer to buy mine, and would also set a nice price. Their whois is dated, though, and it would be pretty hard to play innocent if I sent the offer through their very attractive website.

Hoping this will be my first XXXX sale, and planning a new strategy. Only makes sense that they would prefer the com to the net.

If they don't "get it," then maybe it's up to us to see that buyers do get it.

•••
There are several people that are trying to sell the .com version to the owners of other TLDs. Some that catch and hold thousands of domains seem to be doing well enough to keep at it. They tend to spam domainers like me with a lot of domains and I now report them and get their accounts closed. Sorry, but I hate spam.

There are a couple of problems with what they are doing that may help those of you that are doing this or thinking about it:

1) They generally charge too much. They don't sell many because they are asking WAY too much. The owners they are contacting have domains that have been established for long time and they don't NEED the .com version. If it's a domain that others may be interested in, I'd put it up as an auction and let them know about it.

2) There are some people that are contacting others about domains they SAY they own, but in fact they are just contacting the other TLD owners when they see the .com version is free. This is bad because any business where you have to lie to people is bad, and when they find out they are going to tell everyone they know about your lack of ethics. Tell them you "can get the domain" and that's true enough without letting them know they can just register it.

•••
I've only tried this once and it was successful. I acquired a dot com at TDNAM for firesale price. I had noticed that the net, org, co.uk and de were also registered. I parked the domain on Sedo and emailed all the other extension owners briefly and politely saying I had the dot com, and if they were interested they could place a bid through Sedo. The owner of the dot net did just that and I sold for $250. I would have liked more but it wasn't a bad ROI.

•••
Looks like I found this thread too late O_o

If I find a business owner who is using 4L(his product) + 1 dictionary word (such as Shop/Project/Buy/Place etc).com , would it be worthwhile to try to sell him the exact 4L.net?

Cheers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back