IT.COM

security Study Reveals: 8.3% of All Websites Are Scams

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Every website ever created has a domain name, and these domain names can only be acquired through domain registrars.

GoDaddy is the world's largest domain registrar and increased its share of hosting dubious domains from 3% last year to this year's 7.5%. This, however, is still slightly less than the overall average.

What's alarming is the high percentage rate of low-score domains registered on Alibaba. Alibaba has a huge 63.8% of domains with low scores and is the highest among the top registrars. Likewise, American-based companies like NameSilo (28.2%) and NameCheap (14.8%) also do not score well...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good to see that Sedo and Bodis both did so well, according to the article:

Bodis and Sedo have the best performance with only 2% and 2.3% scammy website.

It's great to see that these two smaller companies do such an excellent job.

•••
Ironically one would claim registar websites are scams.

•••
Ironically one would claim registar websites are scams.
Well, being connected to the "Bad Boys" scammers doesn't help their reputation either. Namecheap's stats really surprised me, if they are real.
Hoperfully, progress is on the horizon.

•••
Perhaps not surprisingly, one of my recent experiences was that one of the registrars that fared poorly on this list had an issue apparently with the nameservers being changed without my knowledge or consent. And, unforutnately, it is also the only registrar I use that does not provide the transparency of being able to see at a glance for one's portfolio where the nameservers are being pointed.
The industry may benefit by having higher standards for ALL registrars, to help the registrants make certain that their domains aren't being redirected elsewhere.

•••
Very interesting article , thanks for sharing !

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back