NameSilo

Strategy for Expiring/Deleting Domains

Labeled as strategy in Domain Expiration and Domain Drop Catching started by stub, Sep 9, 2015.

Replies:
Views:

1. davidc1

davidc1 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Nice test, but would be also interesting to see if domains goes to auctions or not.

I'm running that kind of test with DC vs my service for weeks now :) results could be very different from a day to another, so be sure that you cannot conclude anything with this test except that TODAY, dynadot was faster than pheenix or not.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. stub

stub Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Here are the results.

NetSol 3, Dynadot 3, DropCatch 1, Pheenix 1

I'm rather surprised by the results. Remember these are domains I felt have a chance of dropping and not being picked up. My average pickup of 50% I consider are domains which would mostly be dropped and not picked up.

I haven't seen NetSol win so many of these domains. They appears frequently but never predominantly like this. Dynadot. I hardly ever see capturing anything. DropCatch generally capture most of these drops. Pheenix only catching one was disappointing.

Of course. One swallow doesn't make a summer. There are way to many variables involved to draw any conclusions from this one tiny test. One thing which is consistent is me capturing 50% of my cheap backorders. Since this was basically a comparison between Pheenix & Dynadot. I think I will continue to place the same backorders at both Drop Catchers for a while and monitor how it goes. I will keep you informed.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  3. davidc1

Incredible, i thank that dynadot were much slower.
    where did you order domains woth netsol registrars ?

4. stub

Those are the registrars which won the domains I backordered. I only backordered at Dynadot and Pheenix. To test out their relative performances. I have 3 domains backordered for tomorrow. I try not to include any backorders for domains with backorders on SN/NJ. But don't recall if I checked those three that NetSol won. I usually setup my backorders in bulk for the length of time in advance that I can backorder domains.

5. stub

For the length of time I've been consistently been backordering only at Pheenix (for domains I expect might drop), about 15 months, since they upped their severs to over 100. My average success would probably be approx. 1/day (approx 50-60%), out of 0-3 backorders/day.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  6. premkumar

premkumar Member VIP

@stub Are you able to sell any of these backorder domain names. Just curious, your portfolio is in in Green or Red?

Today, I just got some 7 domain hand register, out of 25 domain i tried. On the other hand, 5 main competitive domains for which i used custom made Desktop dropcatcher failed to capture anything.

7. stub

@premkumar - I don't understand your question about selling domains? If I win a backorder, I can sell a domain immediately provided the buyer accepts a push at the same registrar. If they want to transfer out the transaction can only be concluded after the ICANN 60 day wait. I also don't understand the green or red question. What portfolio are you talking about?

A Desktop Dropcatcher should, in theory, capture domains left after the online dropcatchers are finished and before the handreg of domains has started. If the domains were were competitive backorders, they would be picked up by the online backorder companies rather than any Desktop Dropcatcher, with very rare exceptions.

8. stub

Results of my ongoing Dynadot vs Pheenix Backorder tests. I backordered the same 3 domains at Dynadot and Pheenix in the last drop. The results are

Dynadot 3, Pheenix 0

This continues the outstanding performance by Dynadot and the poor performance by Pheenix over the last 2 days.

9. stub

I have 1 backorder at Dynadot/Pheenix tomorrow.

10. davidc1

Due to your good results with dynadot I decided to test dynadot/dropcatch/prnator next days :)

4 domains 11/10
    9 domains 11/11
    8 domains 11/12
    6 domains 11/13

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  11. stub

OK. The one domain backordered in the last drop was picked up by Dynadot.

This is beginning to look like a trend. It looks like I'm going to permanently going to be backordering from Dynadot, from now on. Now it's only going to be a matter of whether, or not, I drop using Pheenix altogether. We will see in the coming days. These results, so far, are shocking to me.

12. stub

That's good. Three tiers of different quality backorders. I predict #1-DropCatch, #2-Prnator, #3-Dynadot. I haven't used Prnator. I'm just going by the fact @davidc1 is telling us he uses SnapNames platform.

13. davidc1

Results for 11/10: I win 2 domains: 1 Dropcatch , 1 Prnator
    (2 domains lost : 1 Dropcatch regular, 1 snapnames regular)

14. stub

I've got 3 domains on backorder at Dynadot/Pheenix in the next drop.

There is fundamental difference between my test and @davidc1's. I'm only backordering domains that I expect to drop. David is backordering domains which he expects to be captured. A difference in quality. Both are valid tests. But it probably explains why Dynadot is not featuring in his tests. Because they cannot compete at the top level because of their resources.

But I'm testing out which dropcatcher is best for these less desirable domains. For the budget conscious backorderer. :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  15. stub

Results of todays backorders. Captured: Dynadot-1 Pheenix-2.

So Pheenix not dead yet. But we will never really know if we did not backorder at Pheenix whether Dynadot would have captured the domains. Although it seems likely. So recommendation at this point is to backorder at both.

I have 5 backorders in the next drop.

16. davidc1

Results for 11/11: I win 9 domains: 4 Dropcatch , 5 Prnator
    It seems that dynadot is out.

17. davidc1

Results for 11/12: I win 6 domains: 2 Dropcatch , 4 Prnator
    (2 domains lost : 1 Dropcatch regular, 1 snapnames regular)

18. stub

As I predicted :)

19. stub

Results of my 5 backorders: DropCatch-3 Web(Associated not NetSol)-2

So I didn't win anything to day. You can't really read much into this, except maybe my thinking about what may drop may be inaccurate today.

OK. I'm going to refine my criteria to only backordering at Dynadot. To try to answer the question if Dynadot always win the domain when not backordered at Pheenix. Like all my tests. This will never have sufficient quantity to prove this fact (too many variables), but we may be able to draw a likely outcome. We already know from my 15 months of using solely Pheenix that my success rate is approx 50-60% with them. Again I would say this cannot be accurate because of too many variables and too small a sample. We have to draw conclusions, knowing these inaccuracies.

I have 2 backordered domains in the drop. Backordered only at Dynadot.

20. kaz2

kaz2 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Hi, sorry for my ignorance here, but is this deleting domains you are trying to catch here (is pending delete)?

21. davidc1

yes

22. kaz2

Thanks, is it really worth chasing pending delete these days? I have noticed that the quality has dropped loads lately.

23. davidc1

depends of what kind of domains you need.

24. kaz2

I am referring to domains one would sell to an end user. Interested in your truly, would be grateful if you could amplify on it a bit, thanks.

25. stub

Results for the last drop. I didn't capture anything. 1-Dropcatch 1- Web (Associated, not NetSol)

So since Dynadot (and Pheenix) can't compete with DropCatch or Web. Nothing to observe.

I have 3 domains, ordered at Dynadot only, for tomorrow's drop

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!