NameSilo

Strategy for Expiring/Deleting Domains

Labeled as strategy in Domain Expiration and Domain Drop Catching, started by stub, Sep 9, 2015

Replies:
Views:

1. stub

stub DNStore.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Another piece of belated news. As I understand it, NameJet and SnapNames have combined resources in an effort to compete with DropCatch. Because each slot for every dropping domain gets a set amount of time to register (IIRC 10ms), they together should get at least the same number of domains as they did before. But I don't see how they win more than they did separately. Maybe some weird maths, beyond my understanding. Like a marginal increase in efficiency because they are not competing with each other (showing my ignorance?).

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. 7363824

7363824 Restricted (Market)

No should just be about the same. Just only makes it easier on buyers only having to back order with either NJ or SN not both to get the same odds of getting it.

3. Igor Mironyuk

Igor Mironyuk Established Member

What do you say about Dynadot Expired Auctions?

4. stub

They are just another Expiring Domain Auction. As is NameSilo. Small players in the Expiring Domain Auction business by way of the number of domains they have registered, which are being dropped. Sometimes, not very often, you can find a bargain. Did you have any particular question in mind?

5. zaekyt

zaekyt New Member

Can you elaborate on this, I have dropcatching experience but I'm new to .com (first ICANN accreditation is just ready and 3 more are on the way), what do you regard as a slot?

6. stub

I'm not clear about what you are asking. So I'll answer what I think you are asking. When a registrar contacts the .com registry about a domain which is dropping, they get 10ms to register the domain. If they don't register the domain within this 10ms, their time window is closed by the registry for that registrar. There is a fierce competition from registrars for these 10ms slots. The more registrars you control, the more time slots you get access to. So a dropcatcher with only 1 registrar, is severely underpowered and overwhelmed by a dropcatcher which controls 2500 registrars.

Which is why GoDaddy is a hopeless dropcatcher, even if they are the biggest registrar by many multiples, than every other registrar on the planet. And why DropCatch is a Goliath at drop-catching dropped domains.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  7. zaekyt

zaekyt New Member

I get more registrars increases the chance, but I've never seen a "slot" concept in dropcatching - in most TLDs you just bash EPP create commands and whichever arrives first at the right time gets the domain, the rest fail. It's theoretically possible for 2 or more EPP creates to receive a success answer if they arrive at exactly the same time (has happened to us once) but one is always before the other. How does the "slot" work in this context, if your create fails (too early or too late, something you don't yet know), you simply send another abiding by limits if any, if not you fire the next one right away.

8. stub

A slot is 1 connection to the registry. "Slot" is only my way of trying to put a name to that activity. After 10ms (or whatever the time period is) the connection is closed. It could be as you say, that it is closed ALSO if it passed or failed. But if it is not passed or failed, it is closed anyway after 10ms.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  9. satyadeep singh

satyadeep singh Established Member

I live in India and which time expireddomain.net new domain drop, how can i see, need expert opinion?

10. stub

Not coming from India, I cannot answer that question. But I'm sure somebody from India can answer that question.

11. KTC

KTC Established Member

Not from India either, but if you are checking the lists inside expireddomains.net, you'll notice that it says all times they post are in UTC along with two links that will help you convert the times at the bottom.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice