IT.COM

discuss Strange things... domains redirected to company's website but company don't own these domains

NameSilo
Watch
On NameBio I discovered that domains LaptopScreenRepair .com and LaptopScreenReplacement .com that had been sold on Sedo. redirected to the company that trade laptop screens LaptopScreen .com

I own .com domain with keyword "laptop" (2 words) and thought to sell to them. From their communications available live chat. I wrote this in chat and their chat operator told me that they do not own these domains. I said that these domains are redirect to their site but he repeated that they not own these domains.

Jim
I am not too sure why it gets forwarded to our domain but we do not own those domains.

I ask maybe CEO, Founder of his company knows better and chat operator stopped talking to me.

He lied or really his company not own these domains and not forward them to LaptopScreen .com website?

This is a game of any rich virtue?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It happens sometimes. Some people may abandon domains with 10 years left for expiry and never change DNS settings.

I own freekick(.net)
And for some unknown reason the .com version redirects to my domain for years!

Last edited:
•••
I do understand that you think your domain fits perfectly with those that sold on Sedo. But, I doubt your desire to pin-down the CEO is going to get you anywhere. If it's as popular a term as the ones sold then just list it on Sedo. I doubt it was the CEO that purchased and redirected them in the first place. Probably someone from the advertising dept with a bit of left-over budget to spend. In this instance, Whoever builds and maintains their website probably knows more than most

as far as the other comments go - Yep I still get about a $20 parking commission every month for a domain I sold years ago. If nobody wants to change the nameservers then I'm happy to receive the Ad money

Last edited:
•••
On NameBio I discovered that domains LaptopScreenRepair .com and LaptopScreenReplacement .com that had been sold on Sedo. redirected to the company that trade laptop screens LaptopScreen .com

I own .com domain with keyword "laptop" (2 words) and thought to sell to them. From their communications available live chat. I wrote this in chat and their chat operator told me that they do not own these domains. I said that these domains are redirect to their site but he repeated that they not own these domains.

I ask maybe CEO, Founder of his company knows better and chat operator stopped talking to me.

He lied or really his company not own these domains and not forward them to LaptopScreen .com website?

This is a game of any rich virtue?

Their support probably just doesn't know. It's a big company. They use the same .ca registrar for all domains so they probably do own them.

•••
I’ve done it before as part of a sales pitch, perhaps someone did the same and forgot to change it back?

•••
It can be a moronic sales tactic too, eg. reaching out to a buyer, showing the domain is being forwarded and perhaps benefits from the extra traffic or something.

Anyone can forward any domain they own, doesn't mean the end site is aware of it or anything to do with.

•••
Their support probably just doesn't know. It's a big company. They use the same .ca registrar for all domains so they probably do own them.
But how I find the right person if even Hunter.io app in my browser don't have any emails?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Do you think the chat operator knows how many domains a company owns? I don't think so

You should reachout to the tech team manager or owner

•••
Most of company staff only know one domains. Marketing / IT department and company owners usually never tell for other domains.

If you have their phone , you can make a call or ask for their best time , might be they refuse to discuss, its normal, almost people will reject any offer, but you can try with another approachments.

Last edited:
•••
You should reachout to the tech team manager or owner
I don't know their contacts. Chat as communication only is on site.

•••
Depends on the relationship. I know of domains like this.

•••
•••
It can be a moronic sales tactic too, eg. reaching out to a buyer, showing the domain is being forwarded and perhaps benefits from the extra traffic or something.

It was my first thought .why moronic? I think that is a great idea .

•••
It was my first thought .why moronic? I think that is a great idea .
Because

1) limiting yourself to a sole buyer, and when do you pull out? Some deals can take ages
2) it can give the buyer ammo for legal backlash or udrp grounds depending on the domain

"moronic" was probably too heavy, I do understand the savvy behind it

•••
What you mean?
Well besides white label operations a person may work for a company and own the domain that the company operates under without owning the company of same name or similar. A relationship can be a lot of things.
If you held single word names non tm of cc extensions you could find yourself in a position to sell the domain or help make a brand in same country.

Last edited:
•••
I owned SonyVideo.com for several years, and I did pick up some traffic from it. Sony is a trademarked non-dictionary word, and I stated that I did not have the right to use the name, and I recognised their trademark. I included 4 prominent links to various Sony video pages, and stated that I had no connection with the company. I also stated that I would donate the name to Sony should they request it.

I didn't ever hear from Sony, and they must have been aware that I was using it. I suspect that their attitude was that they had enough domain names and sites, and if I was helping them by routing traffic to the relevant pages, then they would just let me do it.

•••
I had this too. A big gas company in my country redirected to my domain for years. They even had a trademark for it.

Then, after 10 years or so, someone finally reached to us to purchase it. It wasn't even the company itself, but an IT contractor hired to do the job. Sold domain to them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back