Dynadot

advice Strange Afternic situation - had 0 sales in a month (7K names)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Now this is quite weird and I have seen nothing like it.

I'm getting offers and sales each other day at Dan where I park my domains. So things are good there.

But on the other hand, I had zero sales in the last 30 days at Afternic with arond 7K names listed. Nothing appears wrong technically, they also show up on GD, what on earth is going on? (scratching head)

My next step is to move to offer only at Afternic cause this is what I use at Dan and see what happens.

But anyway, 7 k names, out of which 4.5 K are coms and the rest a mix of .co, net and org. I know their pricing is alright, this is also reason why I get a lot of offers at Dan (got 5 today and accepted 3).

Any tips appreciated!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Whats your pricing?
Xx
Xxx
Xxxx
Xxxxx
Im surprised you have so many names given you are fairly new are you?

How many sales you had on afternic past 3 months?

•••
Now this is quite weird and I have seen nothing like it.

I'm getting offers and sales each other day at Dan where I park my domains. So things are good there.

But on the other hand, I had zero sales in the last 30 days at Afternic with arond 7K names listed. Nothing appears wrong technically, they also show up on GD, what on earth is going on? (scratching head)

My next step is to move to offer only at Afternic cause this is what I use at Dan and see what happens.

But anyway, 7 k names, out of which 4.5 K are coms and the rest a mix of .co, net and org. I know their pricing is alright, this is also reason why I get a lot of offers at Dan (got 5 today and accepted 3).

Any tips appreciated!

I have around 15K names. No sales in Afternic since 60 days. Still a mystery.

•••
•••
•••
I have around 15K names. No sales in Afternic since 60 days. Still a mystery.

Thank you for this confirmation. Well at least I know I'm not the only one in this situation.

•••
@johnn

depositphotos_10605347-stock-photo-praying-woman.jpg

•••
I'm beginning to suspect something that is bad news for many of us.

This change has happened all too sudden. I mean I always had a stream of sales, well, after the first week of October it suddenly dried out. It didn't look and it doesn't look natural to me. And it reminds me of SEO and Google.

What I believe we have here is an algorithmic change. Most likely with the position of the domains in search results for term. Could be penalized if the overall sales are below a certain threshold.

I took a look in a niche where I have a ton of good names (same keyword, trending one). Very good names, tens of them.

Well, ALL my domains are at the bottom of the bottom, below some good and a ton of worthless junk. There is no reason to bury these domains there other than an penalizing new algo. Nobody scrolls that much unless they have a wish for a dire headache.

Last edited:
•••
the position of the domains in search results for term.

I guess my question is, is that the primary way that sales have traditionally happened on afternic, just people doing searches for keywords on afternic.com? There are a few other possible explanations too, like people not having extra money to spend on startup ideas?

•••
It looks like they are promoting their own extensions.

•••
I guess my question is, is that the primary way that sales have traditionally happened on afternic, just people doing searches for keywords on afternic.com? There are a few other possible explanations too, like people not having extra money to spend on startup ideas?

Nope. Dan.com is currently much higher in sales than it was, and this is proof to me people have money and buy domains daily. They buy from me on Dan, but not on Afternic.

Something is wrong with their sales channel. I think it's an algo thing.

•••
Last edited:
•••
But isn't the point of fast transfer with Afternic that the domain is available/shown on multiple platforms?

So how would an algorithm change impact them all? They would all have different search algos in place surely?

I'm not that tech save so just asking...

•••

This change has happened all too sudden. I mean I always had a stream of sales, well, after the first week of October it suddenly dried out. It didn't look and it doesn't look natural to me. And it reminds me of SEO and Google.

What I believe we have here is an algorithmic change. Most likely with the position of the domains in search results for term. Could be penalized if the overall sales are below a certain threshold.

I took a look in a niche where I have a ton of good names (same keyword, trending one). Very good names, tens of them.

Well, ALL my domains are at the bottom of the bottom, below some good and a ton of worthless junk. There is no reason to bury these domains there other than an penalizing new algo. Nobody scrolls that much unless they have a wish for a dire headache.

Searching where? Afternic? Godaddy?

•••
But isn't the point of fast transfer with Afternic that the domain is available/shown on multiple platforms?

So how would an algorithm change impact them all? They would all have different search algos in place surely?

I'm not that tech save so just asking...

It's where your listing position is.

People search for terms like "cars" for example. They get all sorts of names. If you're listing at the bottom of the barrel they will never reach you. Its the same in Google.

They most certainly feed the ranking suggestion together with the names to their partners. Or promote nothing from you in particular if you're below a certain sales threshold.

•••
there are so many bugs with the Godaddy/afternic merge

afternic-fasttransfer.png

can you check if you see something similar in your afternic account,
by the way,
when you see a "No" in Fast Transfer = Much Less visibility of your domain,
it will not be displayed in all their partners marketplaces

Afternic is unable to provide any solution to increase the visibility of your domains,
they have just too much of a big pie and they just don't care

the only solution if found was to park all my domains at SEDO, and my sales at SEDO are just fine + i know exactly how much people viewed each offers

•••
Searching where? Afternic? Godaddy?

Both and everywhere, including their partner network. Where you might go at bottom, OR won't even show up at all. The ones bringing the most moolah to them will.

This is a supposition of course; but it would make sense from the business perspective.

•••

https://mobile.twitter.com/searchli...will-release-a-new-core-update-today.1285034/

This might add validation to your theory but I doubt it's the reason for zero sales. I suggest you change your landing pages. Not all at once, try to drip feed your better domains to another platform. Good luck

•••
there are so many bugs with the Godaddy/afternic merge

Show attachment 176165

can you check if you see something similar in your afternic account,
by the way,
when you see a "No" in Fast Transfer = Much Less visibility of your domain,
it will not be displayed in all their partners marketplaces

Afternic is unable to provide any solution to increase the visibility of your domains,
they have just too much of a big pie and they just don't care

the only solution if found was to park all my domains at SEDO, and my sales at SEDO are just fine + i know exactly how much people viewed each offers

I'm doing the same with Dan, parking there, and it works. It's similar to what you do at Sedo, just a different platform, it's sales based on our parking traffic.

Not so much at Afternic anymore where they bring the traffic for sales, or not.

•••
•••
Note, it would only make sense so they maximize their profit, right? Promote those with either top names, or those selling too cheap so they make volume, although perhaps being in the red themselves. Or a large fleet of rookies lately thickening this later due to Covid and perhaps being out of job.

•••
Both and everywhere, including their partner network. Where you might go at bottom, OR won't even show up at all. The ones bringing the most moolah to them will.

This is a supposition of course; but it would make sense from the business perspective.

Oh this is very bad.. I have just tried searching on Godaddy and I confirm what you have noticed!

I searched for keyword VeryHighly and instead of showing the the exact match .com (my domain) on top Godaddy is showing domains in the following order:
  1. veryhighly.co.uk
  2. veryhigh.co.uk
  3. veryhighly.club
  4. trulyhighly.co.uk
  5. veryhighly.tech
  6. very-highly.com
  7. veryhighly.live
  8. veryhighly.com <-- Finally!

Really Godaddy?! instead of showing closest variations in .com GD put .tech .live & .club first! they even put the hyphenated .com version before my domain!

I don't understand why they are doing this, it seems they are more interested in selling domains for $0.9 than taking a 20% commission on 4 figure sales.

Last edited:
•••
This is no joke NP community must be aware about this algorithm change!
This means heavy drop in sales for everyone

•••
I searched for keyword VeryHighly

All the results I get are .co.uk. I guess if an American types it in your name should show up first?

It makes sense due to what people generally buy in each country (handregs and local tlds), they’re only going by what their data tells them

Last edited:
•••
After arriving at the local PH.godaddy.com site by accident today (via a Google search result), I get redirected to PH.godaddy.com all day long (too lazy to change it in the footer) for Auctions and other parts on the Godaddy site.

Now reading this discussion on NamePros, I also checked some really popular keywords in the Godaddy Domain Search. The premium domain names used to be listed on top with premium prices, and now suddenly <keyword>.ph was listed on top, available for new registration (visiting from the Netherlands).

Don't know the algo, but I can imagine things will show up very differently depending on the country, and perhaps even postal code / area you live. Or some metrics about income? Interesting.

Last edited:
•••
Back