IT.COM

strategy Stay on top of new extensions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
If you receive an inquiry on one of your 2 or 3 word domain names (.com), remember to check if the last word has become a new extension.

Example, you own 4 2 0 B i k e .com and receive an inquiry. You should check if Bike has become a new extension. The person inquiring might have just registered 4 2 0 .bike and wants your domain name to use along with their name.

This has happened to me on several sales this year -- turned out the last word became a new extension and I was able to ask for more than I originally expected because the last word has become a new extension.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting! Thanks!

I’ve also seen the opposite. Someone with a name (.com or .co.uk etc), also wanting the corresponding ngTLD. I’ve sold at least one of those.

•••
If you receive an inquiry on one of your 2 or 3 word domain names (.com), remember to check if the last word has become a new extension.

Example, you own 4 2 0 B i k e .com and receive an inquiry. You should check if Bike has become a new extension. The person inquiring might have just registered 4 2 0 .bike and wants your domain name to use along with their name.

This has happened to me on several sales this year -- turned out the last word became a new extension and I was able to ask for more than I originally expected because the last word has become a new extension.
I do not own .com names (I own only new gTLD names), but I would expect that when last word actually becomes an new gTLD extension (like in your example with .bike) that this will bring prices of correspondent .com names down, not up.

The reason is that end user can simply register relevant new gTLD name, and can (but does not need really) register also its counterpart in .com....

•••
I do not own .com names (I own only new gTLD names), but I would expect that when last word actually becomes an new gTLD extension (like in your example with .bike) that this will bring prices of correspondent .com names down, not up.

The reason is that end user can simply register relevant new gTLD name, and can (but does not need really) register also its counterpart in .com....

Yes!! @lolwarrior .com is the sewage of the domain industry. Time for people to move to greener pastures without all the pollution.

.com is in heavy decline as companies shift to simplier, shorter and better looking new tlds. People say no to this effluant now they have a choice.

•••
Domainers might not need to own both versions, but endusers are probably going to be better off in the long run to have both .com and the corresponding New gTLD version for their company so that they can keep them from being used by their competitors. IMO

•••

Actually the opposite. Any decent combo isn't going to be available. The big lie is that people can just hand register those type of domains. So they can't simply register that "relevant new gTLD name". If the registries didn't already keep it for themselves, then domainers already snatched up the leftovers.

Last edited:
•••
Actually the opposite. Any decent combo isn't going to be available. The big lie is that people can just hand register those type of domains. So they can't simply register that "relevant new gTLD name". If the registries didn't already keep it for themselves, then domainers already snatched up the leftovers.

The OP mentioned receiving an inquiry from others (most likely from endusers) on names already owned by domainers, there was no mention of hand registering as most likely as you already said at this point in to the game it will be very difficult to register a corresponding .com for a viable domain in New gTLDs or vice versa. So in a way we are in agreement as to domains in New gTLDs and their corresponding .com adding to each other value. IMO

•••
You could have both or leave one out to know your end user perhaps get better money. Sure you have strength with both but there maybe desirability if you have the one. I have seen some great deals for the domainers from people chasing both.

•••

Well that is just wrong. there is plenty of choiuce with the g's, and the best names can be had with a small renewal.

•••
Well that is just wrong. there is plenty of choiuce with the g's, and the best names can be had with a small renewal.

Watch how easy this is.

Give me a list of good new g's that are available to hand reg.

And if you can come up with such a list, I would have to ask, how come you guys haven't hand regged these names.

The big selling point of registries are now end users can just hand reg good names. Except, they'll run into the same problems as with .com, they're usually held by domainers. Or the real good ones, registries.

Oh, I guess you can't reply.
SuzanneChambers Account Auto-Closed

Last edited:
•••
Watch how easy this is.

Give me a list of good new g's that are available to hand reg.

And if you can come up with such a list, I would have to ask, how come you guys haven't hand regged these names.

The big selling point of registries are now end users can just hand reg good names. Except, they'll run into the same problems as with .com, they're usually held by domainers. Or the real good ones, registries.

Oh, I guess you can't reply.
SuzanneChambers Account Auto-Closed

Relative of Bulloney I bet. .com wins

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back