IT.COM

strategy Started a new strategy for Pacemakers.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Medtronic legally released all claims to Pacemakers.com so I feel more free to massively promote the name. I took a chance contacting them but it worked out in the end.
I started a twitter and linkedin campaign to sell the name for 1 million dollars using retweets. If I sell the name for 1 million I am donating $100,000 for Heart,org.
I feel we all need to start being a bit more creative in the way we look at marketing and I am helping heart disease in the process. I will end up donating something no matter the final price. I have had too many people I know die of heart disease.
Anyone else have any creative ways they have marketed their domains?
https://twitter.com/RichardDynas/status/1122139645494603776

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it's a nice domain but can't see an end-user profiting from owning this domain. The tm holder, maybe.

And that's what worries me. The health sector is brutal when it comes to trademarks. Any health business related company of importance (hospitals, clinics, etc) cannot justify spending 100K on a name unless it's of major importance to them. They can however justify spending a lot of money on legal fees defending their business. That being said, you seem to be on top of it. Just be cautious.

I once got in a legal battle over a name for wich I held the EU trademark (and still am). The domain was in use for a nonprofit organization founded before they even came into existence and in an unrelated niche. They came at me full Nissan style. I still regret not standing my ground to this day but at the time I didn't have funds to continue fighting one of the biggest medical companies in the world. Switched to my ccTLD instead.

Anyway, never would've expected pacemakers to be a tm. If you haven't got too much money tied up in this name I'd be looking to sell it just to break even and reinvest that money in another good name. Keep in mind, with the pace new medical tech is evolving pacemakers may become a thing of the past in a decade from now.

Just some of my thoughts, hope you find the perfect buyer!

•••
I saw your tweet a few days back, and read this passage with interest. I'm not a lawyer, but that language to me reads much more like a confirmation that they are not the legal registrant, but does rescind or release their rights in the trademark or related IP. Do you think a buyer's council would accept that the passage above removes the risk of UDRP on this name? They may have been friendly to you (and kudos for reaching out), but is it fair to assume they will be so friendly to a competitor? Great name BTW!
Great point. They know I am selling the name and much more discussion happened. I offered them the name, thats how some of this started. It is a clear line of emails stipulating they have no issues with me selling the name and lay no claims to it going forward.

•••
Wouldn't be more realistic and helpful to the cause to offer to donate 10% of final sale to Heart.org..

Let say you sell it for a hundred thousand, then ten thousand goes to Heart org..?

Just my thoughts

Good luck
I have a number in mind and if it seel, I am donating to heart.org 10%. I see this as a living breathing sale, I dont know where its headed yet, I have some ideas.

•••
So at any time Medtronic can change their mind ? I think any buyer is going to ask about the TM and then walk away when they know its still active.

Anybody buying the name is going to do it to use it for business. If Medtronic feels its being hurt by that, out come the lawyers.
I can assure the new buyer that this will not be an issue.

•••
Without doing any research (not my domain, not my client), I think as far as in the medical field, pacemaker is like (or has become through common use like) a syringe. Generic medical device. It's not, for example, a word akin to a "Xerox" machine.

I also imagine that the word pacemaker has been trademarked and used for all sorts of things nothing to do with the medical device.

---

Was offered here for $59K here for $50K here for $27K

JJAO4PYl.jpg
I have been all over the board before the release feeling out what domainers would say. Thats what started all of this.

•••
I think it's a nice domain but can't see an end-user profiting from owning this domain. The tm holder, maybe.

And that's what worries me. The health sector is brutal when it comes to trademarks. Any health business related company of importance (hospitals, clinics, etc) cannot justify spending 100K on a name unless it's of major importance to them. They can however justify spending a lot of money on legal fees defending their business. That being said, you seem to be on top of it. Just be cautious.

I once got in a legal battle over a name for wich I held the EU trademark (and still am). The domain was in use for a nonprofit organization founded before they even came into existence and in an unrelated niche. They came at me full Nissan style. I still regret not standing my ground to this day but at the time I didn't have funds to continue fighting one of the biggest medical companies in the world. Switched to my ccTLD instead.

Anyway, never would've expected pacemakers to be a tm. If you haven't got too much money tied up in this name I'd be looking to sell it just to break even and reinvest that money in another good name. Keep in mind, with the pace new medical tech is evolving pacemakers may become a thing of the past in a decade from now.

Just some of my thoughts, hope you find the perfect buyer!

Pacemakers for the brain,stomach and self generating batteries are all new. The name also has sports meaning and Leaders are pacemakers. There are a ton of uses.

This is really to see how far i can go with some different thinking marketing. If I sit back for 20 years I will make some money - If I auction it I will make some money. Why do we always take the easy road? Why do we take the long road? I am always a person who thinks outside the
!

•••
4 figure name not 7 figure. Stop waste time with marketing stunt.

•••
We wish you well @uglydork. Good luck in your marketing!

•••
I just updated my site - pacemakers.com
let the games begin !

•••
I can assure the new buyer that this will not be an issue.
Sorry, but that means NOTHING. It's the END USER who will be worried. If they are going to plunk down $25k or more they are likely to ask and if there are no written assurances, they will probably walk.

I hope I am wrong, but just keep that in mind. If you get any decent offer, you might be best taking it and not waiting on 100k or more.

Think about this, if we are concerned about it, then the buyer will probably be too.

Last edited:
•••
I think all the concern about the medical industry stepping in to block or object to the domain’s sale is unfounded. I also find it hard to believe that uglydork received flak from heart pacemaker manufacturers which is why he sought the release from Medtronic. Have you ever seen an ad for a heart pacemaker? Is marketing done to the general public to sell pacemakers? I don’t think a heart pacemaker company would even care about this domain one way or another except as an afterthought and wouldn’t pay much for it.

More likely this domain might be of interest to some company that is already called Pacemakers or to some company that intends to take up that name. Something to do with being the “pace maker” the one that sets the standard, or is a front runner. In other words at the end of the day this is just a brandable. It’s not even really an exact match domain unless used for the heart device and as noted I doubt that will happen. I’d be surprised if this ends up being used - when it sells - for anything to do with heart pacemakers especially given that uglydork wants so much money for it.

Last edited:
•••
I think all the concern about the medical industry stepping in to block or object to the domain’s sale is unfounded.
I dont think its about blocking the sale. I think its about the post-sales new owner being concerned what they can do with it and not face the wrath when the giant awakens and realizes something bad is now being done with their trademarked name.

•••
What trademark on the word [heart] pacemakers? I finally got a chance to glance and all the live TM on the word Pacemaker I saw have nothing to do with the heart device. I didn’t spend much time looking but I saw nothing. If you know of a live TM on the word pacemaker referring to the heart device, let us know.

This is part of why I lately Unwatch threads after two days.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/unwatch-a-thread.1134340/
Much of what is posted after that time is running off of assumptions and misinformation.

Last edited:
•••
What trademark on the word [heart] pacemakers? I finally got a chance to glance and all the live TM on the word Pacemaker I saw have nothing to do with the heart device. I didn’t spend much time looking but I saw nothing. If you know of a live TM on the word pacemaker referring to the heart device, let us know.
Ugly dork clearly says earlier in this thread: "Medtronic owns trademark and used to own the name."
What is he talking about ? Used to own the domain name or used to own the TM on the name itself or something else ?

He says "trademark", I think the heart device would be a patent, the name is a TM.

Clarity is needed.

Last edited:
•••
He says a lot of things but there is no live US trademark by Medtronic or anyone else on a heart pacemaker that I found. Given that the device was invented in 1958 and more than one company has produced the heart device and called it a pacemaker even common sense belies that such a now generic term for the heart device could have a live trademark.

All the live TM for pacemaker are for some other thing. Not a heart pacemaker.

Interesting how what I posted straight from the hip
Without doing any research (not my domain, not my client), I think as far as in the medical field, pacemaker is like (or has become through common use like) a syringe. Generic medical device. It's not, for example, a word akin to a "Xerox" machine.

I also imagine that the word pacemaker has been trademarked and used for all sorts of things nothing to do with the medical device.

---

Was offered here for $59K here for $50K here for $27K
ended up being right on.

Last edited:
•••
@uglydork , can you explain your trademark statement ? Did you check to see if its TM with anyone, anywhere and did you talk to THEM about this ?

•••
All the live TM for pacemaker are for some other thing. Not a heart pacemaker.
Really if he wants to go all out and continue with what he seems to want to talk about, he should contact each of the LIVE Pacemaker TM holders and get a release from each of them! :xf.laugh: The release from Medtronic is worthless, in my opinion, in that Medtronic has no live TM and would not have cared about the domain anyway or been in any legal position to block its transfer. Worthless meaning - was a waste of time to even get a release from Medtronic. Do any of us waste time getting a release from someone just because he let a domain expire, let alone let it expire years ago?

Last edited:
•••
What if the buyer says,

"I will pay you $25,000. Then I will donate $100,000 to Heart.org"

This way:

Buyer gets $100,000 tax write off, and the domain.

Seller gets $25,000 and the good karma of helping facilitate a $100k donation to Heart.org

•••
He’s not saying he’ll donate 10% or any particular percent. He’s saying that IF he sells the domain for $1M he’ll donate $100K. Then he adds that no matter what it sells for he will donate “something.”

upload_2019-4-28_9-12-27.png

When I first saw the tweet image, I interpreted it as, if the tweet gets 1 million retweets, then there will be a $100,000 donation to Heart.org...

... and began thinking, what if a network of bots started retweeting to trigger the $100,000 donation. lol.

Last edited:
•••
Congrats on the go big or go home strategy, if you don’t ask, nobody will ever pay.

With this the one concern I have is people don’t really go shopping for them like a gadget, or toy.

Maybe the right holder may not have an issue with you owning it, or marketing the sale, but if you sell it to someone who they compete with an issue may come up, and they may reverse their current stance.

Either way you are creating awareness for an important topic so win win for all.

Good luck it, but keep an open mind.

•••
Ugly dork clearly says earlier in this thread: "Medtronic owns trademark and used to own the name."
What is he talking about ? Used to own the domain name or used to own the TM on the name itself or something else ?

He says "trademark", I think the heart device would be a patent, the name is a TM.

Clarity is needed.
They used to own the domain name and I clearly have their head of legal giving me assurance they no longer want it and I am free to sell it.

•••
They used to own the domain name and I clearly have their head of legal giving me assurance they no longer want it and I am free to sell it.
Doesn't clarify the TM statement, but whatever. Moving on .....

It's 12pm here in NY and the deli next door can sell me beer now. Have fun.

Last edited:
•••
I am also in NY and Im not drinking at Noon on a Sunday.

•••
•••
When posting here I am keenly aware that I open myself up to criticism and I embrace it - everyone's opinion is welcome whether I agree with them or now. Thats how opinions work.
This is just another way of marketing. I choose to be progressive and try new things instead of complaining about not having sales.
Was it necessary for me to get permission from Medtronic? Probably not but I was in discussions with them and it came up - no worries.
In the meantime I hope we all get some healthy exercise in during the day and if I create a new challenge along the way it makes me happy. I am an avid runner albeit a slow one. I am 54 years old and compete in half marathons and enjoy the camaraderie running had afforded me and my wife (who is MUCH faster than me)
I welcome everyone to give me advice and opinions - there are already too many fights here.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back