Dynadot

SquadHelp - Marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey Folks,

I've just started using squadhelp.com to list some of my brandable. So far I have 76 domains listed, there is no fee to list. I've had some decent action so far in the way of interested buyers but no sales as of yet. I've only been with them for 1 week now.

A bit of a summary review of SquadHelp:

PROS
  • No Listing fee
  • No Logo design fee
  • Ability to submit your names to end users holding naming contests
  • Ability to chat directly or send a message directly to end users.
  • Stats of your marketplace domains are shown in the marketplace dashboard.
  • Their customer service and support has been great, 24hr a day chat.
  • Ability to increase or decrease the list price of your domains or to show a discount. You can decrease or increase the price yourself by $200. If you want to lower more, you can contact support.
  • End users can shortlist your domains before they make a decision on which they want to purchase. The number of shortlists is shown in you marketplace dashboard.
  • When you submit your names you get to set the price you wish to get. Because their commissions are high I recommend listing at a higher price to offset the commission costs.
  • Their landing pages are fairly basic but they work. Because the marketplace is fairly new, I'm sure we will see style improvements in the future.
  • One thing I really like is they accept multiple extensions. I have listed .co and .io along with .com
  • Each seller gets a direct link to their marketplace portfolio, HERES MY PORTFOLIO. It is handy if your trying to p[promote your portfolio through social media.
  • I like that their marketplace doesn't have tens of thousands domain listings like BB. They are fairly strict on the domains they accept to list and so this helps keep the number of domains in the marketplace down and gets your listings more exposure.
CONS
  • Their commissions are very high, depending on the domain name they are usually between 30% and 35%. However, there are no listing fees, no logo design fees, so in the end their commission is very similar to brand buckets.
  • Their logos are not top quality, in fact I requested to have some of my logos remade.
  • I think they have a big backlog of logos to design, the wait time for logo design has been around 1 week, but your names are still listed while the logos are being designed.
  • After your names are accepted you need to agree to their commission rate, at this point you also need to apply your own keywords, descriptions etc. I found this was very time consuming.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@GrantP Yes so my issue is that when I sold premium domains, in most cases I had to unlock the domain and enter the auth code on the transfer page on Squadhelp.

So what happens with this auth code then? Will the buyer take that auth code and start the domain transfer directly to the buyer's domain registrar? If so, that would be a problem. What if the buyer is fraudulent, takes the auth code and acquire the domain. Then the fraudulent buyer would keep saying that the domain is still in the seller's hands. You will see that the domain has been recently transferred away to another registrar, ok. But the fraudulent buyer would say that the seller had used his/her own auth code to transfer the domain into another domain name registrar, but the domain owner is still the seller, not the buyer.

In theory the seller could unlock the domain and upload the valid auth code to SH, but then the seller could use that same auth code to immediately transfer the domain into another registrar, so the buyer is right, it might happen in theory. If the domain is protected by whois privacy, then you cannot monitor who the real owner of the domain is.

Now in this scenario, how will you decide who is fraudulent: the buyer or the seller?

You might say that this has never happened before, ok. But it doesn't mean that the process would be secure. You should be prepared for the worst-case scenario.

The only solution is that the buyer must not see the auth code, only SH. Then SH should take the auth code and transfer the domain into the SH escrow account, and then push the domain from the SH escrow account to the buyer's account, within the same registrar. Now SH will have proof that the buyer indeed received the domain.

Of in case of a push (if the buyer prefers the same, current registrar), the seller should push the domain into the SH escrow account, then SH should push the domain from the SH escrow account to the buyer.

Regarding the VAT issue, yes it is a big problem, the other major platforms implemented the VAT handling correctly, but this piece is missing on SH, please implement the VAT calculation and collection on the checkout page, it would be a big help for EU sellers (but even US-based sellers must charge EU VAT in some cases...). For example a lot of US-based domain registrars have an EU VAT number starting with the "EU" letters, and they calculate, collect and pay the EU VAT to the EU, in some cases even US-based companies or entities must pay the EU VAT. If SH doesn't want to handle this, I understand, but then please at least give me the ability to indicate that I am VAT-registered so that the SH checkout page would calculate and collect the VAT in case of my domains. So then I would receive the domain price + VAT amount, then I could pay this VAT in my home country.

Currently in some cases I must pay the VAT out my own pocket. But I would like to charge extra VAT on top of the price, if the buyer is from the EU without a valid EU VAT number. The VAT rate might be 20-27%, so it is a big deal. Imagine the situation when I have to pay the 27% VAT from the total price of the domain... In this case the price should have been the selling price + 27% VAT, and not the selling price including the 27% VAT... This is a big difference.

Let's say the price is $2000 and I must pay 27% VAT since the buyer is from the EU without a valid EU VAT number (you should validate the EU VAT number on the checkout page, if the buyer is from the EU). Currently I cannot say that the price is $2000 + 27% VAT. I have to pay that 27% VAT from the $2000, so I must pay 2000-2000/1.27 = $425.2 VAT from this total $2000 price, plus the SH commission...

But the price should have been $2000 + VAT, so in this case 2000*1.27 = $2540.
Of course if the price is $2000 + VAT, then in some cases the VAT rate will be zero, but in some cases the VAT rate might be as high as 27%!

So this is my issue with the current VAT handling on SH. Thanks!
Aren't DAN the only ones that calculate VAT? But as an EU seller, I agree it should be implemented where possible.

By the way, when I sell a domain at SH, I treat it VAT-wise as a sale to them - that is, a company in the US.

Last edited:
•••
Aren't DAN the only ones that calculate VAT? But as an EU seller, I agree it should be implemented where possible.

I see that the VAT calculation and collection works correctly on these marketplaces:

Dan
BrandPa
BrandBucket
GoDaddy
etc.

You can try it, try to buy a domain and enter an EU country as your billing country, you will see that then you need to enter a valid EU VAT number, or else they will charge extra VAT on top of the price.

Last edited:
•••
I see that the VAT calculation and collection works correctly on these marketplaces:

Dan
BrandPa
BrandBucket
GoDaddy
etc.

You can try it, try to buy a domain and enter an EU country as your billing country, you will see that then you need to enter a valid EU VAT number, or else they will charge extra VAT on top of the price.
Okay. I thought you meant as a seller. I only get a sales overview that includes VAT (if applicable) when I sell a name at DAN

•••
Okay. I thought you meant as a seller. I only get a sales overview that includes VAT (if applicable) when I sell a name at DAN
The important thing is that someone has to pay the VAT if applicable, either the marketplace or you as the seller. If no one pays the VAT when VAT was applicable, that's a problem. SH states in their terms of service that they are only a venue, and you contract directly as a seller with the buyers, and you are responsible for paying your own taxes. So in this case you, as the seller, must calculate and pay the VAT if applicable.

And here comes the problem, the SH checkout page doesn't support the VAT calculation and charging at all. So you need to pay the VAT out of your own pocket if applicable.

But this is just my opinion, not a legal advice, consult a tax professional :)

•••
By the way, when I sell a domain at SH, I treat it VAT-wise as a sale to them - that is, a company in the US.

My tax professional told me otherwise. I think my customer is the buyer, not SH. SH is jut a marketplace, not my customer.

https://www.squadhelp.com/Terms&Conditions

2. Legal relationships and obligation of parties

2.1 Squadhelp Provides a Venue

The Service is an online venue where

a) Buyers post projects for creative services, Members submit actual works in response to the Buyer's requirements, and Buyers choose the entry(ies) they like. In providing the Service, we do not source (except for us, where this is expressly stated in the project) or deliver projects or entries.

b) Buyers purchase Domain names listed for sale by a Seller

2.2 Contracts Between Buyers and Creatives

By registering as a member, you acknowledge and agree that you contract directly with other members to buy or sell services or domain names. Creatives are not required to participate in the project posted by the Buyer.

Read that part "you contract directly with other members to buy or sell services or domain names".

And:

2.3 Taxes and Reporting

Each Member is solely responsible for satisfying all income tax, payroll tax, payroll withholding, sales and use tax, governmental reporting and other legal requirements under applicable law, including without limitation those applicable to the purchase and sale of services provided by Creatives, from and by independent contractors.

I think SH should clarify this, namely who is responsible for paying the VAT. If the seller is responsible then please provide tools for that, so the checkout page should support the dynamic VAT number handling, VAT calculation and VAT charging.

(Again, not a legal advice :) )

Last edited:
•••
My tax professional told me otherwise. I think my customer is the buyer, not SH. SH is jut a marketplace, not my customer.

https://www.squadhelp.com/Terms&Conditions

Read that part "you contract directly with other members to buy or sell services or domain names".

And:

I think SH should clarify this, namely who is responsible for paying the VAT. If the seller is responsible then please provide tools for that, so the checkout page should support the dynamic VAT number handling, VAT calculation and VAT charging.

(Again, not a legal advice :) )
Thanks. I have to admit I was not aware of that. In that case, we as sellers need to be informed about the VAT status of the buyer.

Actually, this whole VAT issue is quite a headache...

•••
I've just received an e-mail from Squadhelp that I've sold a domain. I'm happy :) I'll post the domain in the "report completed domain name sales" section of the forum, when I'll get the money. :)

•••
I've just received an e-mail from Squadhelp that I've sold a domain. I'm happy :) I'll post the domain in the "report completed domain name sales" section of the forum, when I'll get the money. :)
How long you put there?

•••
Congratulations, don't forget to remove the domain from Afternic (if you listed it on Afternic before).

•••
How long you put there?
I've acquired it on Squadhelp Wholesale Marketplace on 25 October 2021, so I had this domain for less than a year before I've sold it.

•••
I've acquired it on Squadhelp Wholesale Marketplace on 25 October 2021, so I had this domain for less than a year before I've sold it.
Awesome to have sold a domain acquired from sh wholesale. Good one.

•••

Last edited:
•••
He has 3601 domains. Of these, only 551 domains are approved as premium. For each review, he has to pay $1, which means he paid more than $3000. It turns out that in order to place one premium domain on the site, our colleague paid an average of 3601/551 = $ 6,5. This is a little more than the competitors, where they ask for $ 5 per logo a good placement. Resp. approval percentage 551/3601*100%=15.3% These are true numbers. In any case, the work at Squadhelp is worth the candle, because this site is constantly developing. I personally would like the number of experts to be increased from 20 to 40 people, because we need more flexibility in domain approval. The current experts have an unpredictable adoption plan, so, unfortunately, there are still low-quality domains on the market. Hopefully, in the near future, the squad will teach artificial intelligence to accept domains so as not to depend on the preferences of the experts.
How did you know that 551 domains were accepted into the premium listing, is there any tool to do this?

•••
I'm testing the new My Domains Listings (Premium) (Beta). One thing that is still missing is the ability to filter domain names that are owned by sellers and the ones that are owned by Squadhelp. Since there is a significant difference between what we can do with seller-owned domain names and SH-owned domain names in terms of changing the price, adding discounts making it "Authorized For Afternic" etc. it would really make sense to be able to filter them separately and then make efficient bulk updates.
Also, I have a question. What is the logic behind selecting the names that are automatically displayed on the first page of the new My Domains Listings (Premium) (Beta)? I don't see any logic there. Some are featured, and some are not. Some are the best-performing ones, others are not, etc. Could we please be able to choose what we want to see on the first page? For some, it would be their best-performing / top trending domain names (now we have to go to the dashboard or to our public profile page in order to that data). For others, it would be their newest additions to the portfolio, or names that are closest to the expiring date. It would save us some time by not having to manually filter each time to see something that is important to us.

Last edited:
•••
how long usually squadhelp staff will review submitted w-8 form?

•••
Here's an interesting article on Squadhelp's blog about how there isn't necessarily a direct connection between the number of visits that a domain will get and the expected sell-through rate of that name and how a better signal that a name might have higher chances of selling is about repeated visits of a domain name by the same person.

Smart thinking :)

So Squadhelp created a filter on the new listing pages called "Buyer Interest Strong (30 Days / Overall)" (first print screen) and I can also see the repeated visits on a domain name by clicking on it (second print screen).

Attachments

• 1 Strong buyer interest at Squadhelp Marketplace.jpg
    1 Strong buyer interest at Squadhelp Marketplace.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 2 Repeated landing page visits at Squadhelp Domains Marketplace.jpg
    2 Repeated landing page visits at Squadhelp Domains Marketplace.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 114
•••
•••
I also have no sales in July, August and Sept. and have 800 domains at Squadhelp. Anyone else with 500+ domains and no sales for almost 3 months?

•••
I also have no sales in July, August and Sept. and have 800 domains at Squadhelp. Anyone else with 500+ domains and no sales for almost 3 months?
Can you share your portfolio on squadhelp

•••
Still no sales ...

I got a sale. Finally! :xf.grin: In March I had 3 sales and since then nothing for 5 straight until now. I have 559 premium domain names listed on SH.

•••
I got a sale. Finally! :xf.grin: In March I had 3 sales and since then nothing for 5 straight until now. I have 559 premium domain names listed on SH.

1 sale in 6 months? Wow. If that trend continues, it would mean around 0.35% STR.

And if SH really had STR of 2%+, you should have had 6 sales during the period.

•••
1 sale in 6 months? Wow. If that trend continues, it would mean around 0.35% STR.

And if SH really had STR of 2%+, you should have had 6 sales during the period.
Yes, exactly. Last year I had 12 sales with a smaller portfolio. This year my STR on SH is just terrible :xf.rolleyes: And I guess so is the discoverability of some (many?) of my premium domain names ...

Last edited:
•••
Hello Everyone,
My feedback:
"NO sales" with 30 nice 4L domains" even with acceptable price.

Spent hell of a time for their descriptions definitions .....

What I also didn't like, more than no sales;
When they make an advertisement on linkedin;
they promote the same names; which means they are trying to sell the same domains / maybe their domains ....
or they dont even spent an effort to modify the advert :D

+1$ per domain per user - nice business =)

I tried but I will never use SH again,

•••
I have over 650 domains with Squadhelp, but I must admit I am starting to get a bit concerned. I really like the platform, but it has been around 7 months, I think, since the last sale.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Back