IT.COM

domain splurs.com - Newby. How's my intuition on these domains? Any good?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

JumpinJackFlash

Impact
Hi everyone,
I'm a newby. Like super duper newby. Like just started learning about domaining.
I've been doing branding for a few years now, named and renamed some companies and start ups, "sloganing" etc.
I've known about brandable domain sites such as Brand Bucket, Namerific and BrandPa. Never bought a domain from there, though. Most of the time, we (as part of an agency) were able to come up with great names ourselves.
Thought about trying and sell domains on these platforms though. So I came up with a few quick ones, registered them, and I thought to share them here for feedback, to see if I'm in the right direction before I blow hundreds of dollars for nothing...
Here's what I got:

cheapod.com - a combination of cheap and pod. Pod can be a lot of stuff (housing, transportation, headphones etvc.) so I thought it could work..
splurs.com - Splur is actually a real word that means splash or sprinkle color. Thought this one might be nice for a design/art house. I know plural are not advisable, but I gave this one a chance.
RootClouds.com - 2 techie words, a lot of start ups around focusing on cloud services, SaaS. Same problem with plural - but I think that with clouds it's actually working okay...
Gitru.com - Git is also a techie buzzword (github etc). Short and sweet, and sounds nice.
Plurby.com - sounds like a kids site, a youth app.. Doesn't mean anything.
Princhi.com - Inspiration from the Italian word "Princhipessa" that means princess. Also, sounded youthful and fun to me.
LightCookBook - more of a keyword thing.. I know it's 3 words (deal breaker??), but it sound just so relevant, that I took it.
BrandBeez - thought to develop this one to a brand selling site.

What do you guys think? Any good? Stop wasting money and to back to work?
Feel free to be blunt :)

Thanks! Any feedback will be much appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Quick feedback

cheapod: to me can look like Cheap OD (overdose is what first came to mind) .. you can usually get around dual meaning domains with capitalisation .. but not really possible here since you don't have the 2nd P.

splurs .. not horrible, but not strong enough to support plural in my opinion.

RootClouds: Definitely not strong enough to support plural .. I wouldn't even have considered buying this at $5 closeout.

Gitru: Nice short pronounceable 5L .. my favorite of the ones you listed. Not the best word flow .. but still quite usable. Don't drop this one because of renewal fees.

Plurby: sounds a little too close to Fluby (already a children's toy). I don't see it as a trademark issue, but still not a name I'd choose as a product owner because it was a little too close.

Princhi: Not too bad if the Italian word has lots of common use (I couldn't even guess). But there ch/sh and particularly i/y potential for typos hurt this (although admittedly many end users don't ever see those), so while I certainly would recommend against anyone ever using such a domain (I personally would not have bought it at $5 closeout), you still could get "lucki"! :)

LightCookBook: 3 word keyword domains certainly can have value. Again though, the Lite/Light alternates really hurt here even if yours is the correct spelling. Also, without looking the term isn't really common one, which makes this more of an effective brandable (that appears like a keyword), for which as a brandable it certainly is indeed too long.

BrandBeez: I really hate the Z interchanged for S in general. The moment you use it you fail the radio test on a colossal scale. Every time you ever mention your domain you will always need to say it's "with a Z". In rare instances specification can be positive and make a brand more memorable, but certainly not in this case as it just seems like you were too cheap to get the real version .. and even then the plural with an S wouldn't have been great.

Honest overall feedback: Despite not really liking them much .. they are a far better first few hand-registrations than most new domainers. Your analysis behind the domains aren't entirely inaccurate .. where I can save you a ton of frustration and knock off potentially thousands off your learning curve, is telling you that they simply just aren't strong enough to justify the cost vs risk/reward. The percentage of domains that sell in the aftermarket to end users are so low that it isn't enough to even have good/strong domains .. you need to have very good and very strong domains .. and get them relatively cheap .. and even then it isn't automatic success!

Although certainly not always the case, a very good rule of thumb (particularly for domains in niches you aren't an expert in like kids toys in this instance), is that if you need to explain the domain, then while it could be good and even usuable for an end user .. it generally isn't strong enough to buy as a domainer (reseller) to justify the cost to risk/reward.

I personally find it far more cost effective (and vastly more importantly TIME effective) to buy domains at auction and more specifically at closeout. At closeout pricing you're only paying a tiny premium vs hand-registration .. but you'll almost always find a few diamonds that slip through the cracks if you look hard enough.

Take a look at some of the lists I share each day at NameCult and right here in the forums (links in my signature). I suggest just looking to start .. see what happens at auction .. every day there are 50,000 expired domains that go to auction, and of those a small number of domains that others miss which slip through to closeout (closeouts start at a buy it now price of $11 shortly an auction closes without any bids).

Best of luck to you and your domains ... :)

•••
Quick feedback

cheapod: to me can look like Cheap OD (overdose is what first came to mind) .. you can usually get around dual meaning domains with capitalisation .. but not really possible here since you don't have the 2nd P.

splurs .. not horrible, but not strong enough to support plural in my opinion.

RootClouds: Definitely not strong enough to support plural .. I wouldn't even have considered buying this at $5 closeout.

Gitru: Nice short pronounceable 5L .. my favorite of the ones you listed. Not the best word flow .. but still quite usable. Don't drop this one because of renewal fees.

Plurby: sounds a little too close to Fluby (already a children's toy). I don't see it as a trademark issue, but still not a name I'd choose as a product owner because it was a little too close.

Princhi: Not too bad if the Italian word has lots of common use (I couldn't even guess). But there ch/sh and particularly i/y potential for typos hurt this (although admittedly many end users don't ever see those), so while I certainly would recommend against anyone ever using such a domain (I personally would not have bought it at $5 closeout), you still could get "lucki"! :)

LightCookBook: 3 word keyword domains certainly can have value. Again though, the Lite/Light alternates really hurt here even if yours is the correct spelling. Also, without looking the term isn't really common one, which makes this more of an effective brandable (that appears like a keyword), for which as a brandable it certainly is indeed too long.

BrandBeez: I really hate the Z interchanged for S in general. The moment you use it you fail the radio test on a colossal scale. Every time you ever mention your domain you will always need to say it's "with a Z". In rare instances specification can be positive and make a brand more memorable, but certainly not in this case as it just seems like you were too cheap to get the real version .. and even then the plural with an S wouldn't have been great.

Honest overall feedback: Despite not really liking them much .. they are a far better first few hand-registrations than most new domainers. Your analysis behind the domains aren't entirely inaccurate .. where I can save you a ton of frustration and knock off potentially thousands off your learning curve, is telling you that they simply just aren't strong enough to justify the cost vs risk/reward. The percentage of domains that sell in the aftermarket to end users are so low that it isn't enough to even have good/strong domains .. you need to have very good and very strong domains .. and get them relatively cheap .. and even then it isn't automatic success!

Although certainly not always the case, a very good rule of thumb (particularly for domains in niches you aren't an expert in like kids toys in this instance), is that if you need to explain the domain, then while it could be good and even usuable for an end user .. it generally isn't strong enough to buy as a domainer (reseller) to justify the cost to risk/reward.

I personally find it far more cost effective (and vastly more importantly TIME effective) to buy domains at auction and more specifically at closeout. At closeout pricing you're only paying a tiny premium vs hand-registration .. but you'll almost always find a few diamonds that slip through the cracks if you look hard enough.

Take a look at some of the lists I share each day at NameCult and right here in the forums (links in my signature). I suggest just looking to start .. see what happens at auction .. every day there are 50,000 expired domains that go to auction, and of those a small number of domains that others miss which slip through to closeout (closeouts start at a buy it now price of $11 shortly an auction closes without any bids).

Best of luck to you and your domains ... :)

Wow, thank you so much. This is really helpful.
All of your points are well taken. Totally missed the OD issue on cheapod, and completely agree about the Z in brandbeez. I was aware of the plural problem, but it’s good to better understand the reasons behind it.
I’m taking your word on the cost effectiveness of buying in auctions, and I’ll definitely learn more about it. But to be honest, I don’t know if I have the capacity or resources to go all in.
I’m a marketing guy, I come up with names and slogans. I take pleasure in coming up with these.
I thought that with some trial and error, research and direction, I could sell a bunch here and there.
I guess what I’m trying to ask is if you think there’s no point due to the aftermarket challenges you mentioned. Specifically in brandable sites - if the conversion rate is so low, how does the industry survive?

And here’s another one for ya:
BeetleBrand.com (instead of the beez, that is now off the table)

Last edited:
•••
Specifically in brandable sites - if the conversion rate is so low, how does the industry survive?

The truth is that the vast majority of people who enter the world of domaining lose money.

As for the brandable marketplaces, operate on a completely different model than domainers. They make money on the backs of domainers both from charging them listing fees, then from charging them upwards of 30%+ in commissions. No only do the domains they list cost them nothing .. but they actually make more money the more they add to their inventory.

In my opinion most such marketplaces are a bad choice for domainers .. particularly those that insist on exclusivity.

And here’s another one for ya:
BeetleBrand.com (instead of the beez, that is now off the table)

BrandBeetle = ok
BeetleBrands = ok
BeetleBrand = not proper English

You also need to ask if a Beetle is the image you want to use to represent yourself? I'm not even saying it's bad .. but I probably wouldn't go with it because despite many people having no problem with beetles (and some even see them in very positive light), there are some who just see them as dirt dwellers .. lol.

•••
The truth is that the vast majority of people who enter the world of domaining lose money.

As for the brandable marketplaces, operate on a completely different model than domainers. They make money on the backs of domainers both from charging them listing fees, then from charging them upwards of 30%+ in commissions. No only do the domains they list cost them nothing .. but they actually make more money the more they add to their inventory.

In my opinion most such marketplaces are a bad choice for domainers .. particularly those that insist on exclusivity.

BrandBeetle = ok
BeetleBrands = ok
BeetleBrand = not proper English

You also need to ask if a Beetle is the image you want to use to represent yourself? I'm not even saying it's bad .. but I probably wouldn't go with it because despite many people having no problem with beetles (and some even see them in very positive light), there are some who just see them as dirt dwellers .. lol.

Well, it’s a business model that makes sense in my mind - as long as they provide you with real exposure. Never tried but I’m guessing that driving eyes to your domains on auctions is very hard.
In any case, I was just notified that all of the domains above were declined by namerific. Discouraging. Some of them are in line with what they have on their website.
I guess I’m gonna pause and rethink this.

•••
Well, it’s a business model that makes sense in my mind - as long as they provide you with real exposure. Never tried but I’m guessing that driving eyes to your domains on auctions is very hard.
In any case, I was just notified that all of the domains above were declined by namerific. Discouraging. Some of them are in line with what they have on their website.
I guess I’m gonna pause and rethink this.
(Bolded by me)

Hello JJF,

Outstanding appraisals by our good friend Ategy.

Here are a couple of additional links you may find helpful.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/a-new-member-asks.973449/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/i-am-new-and-need-some-advise-please.1098043/#post-6875060

The best advice... at this point, keep the CC in your wallet until you have really spent some time on the forum.
It's offers a free education and all you have to do is listen.

Peace,
Kenny

•••
(Bolded by me)

Hello JJF,

Outstanding appraisals by our good friend Ategy.

Here are a couple of additional links you may
The best advice... at this point, keep the CC in your wallet until you have really spent some time on the forum.
It's offers a free education and all you have to do is listen.

Peace,
Kenny

Thanks Kenny, will do!

•••
@Ategy.com @Kenny
Another new member of the community reached out to me regarding Princhi.com
She’d like to buy it for a project and not for a resell.
What would be a fair price?
I’d appreciate your opinion.
Thanks!

•••
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back