Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

atinc

EntrepreneurTop Member
Impact
Speculations on Domain Industry

There is one thing which is crystal clear about domain industry :

• Dot Com investors hate the new gTLDs!

Why? Because before the new G era, "the domain investors" invested on millions of dot Com domains, even a regular domainer today held hundreds of domains in their portfolio.

The new gTLDs have been the biggest nightmare for the serious dot Com investors and will continue to be..

When you see the statistics, dot Com domain sales dropped dramatically since the new gTLDs introduced to the market.

The demand on new extensions excited millions of people all over the world since it is an unexplored land on Web.

There are thousands of generic names available to be registered.

Comparing to dot Com, where people registering 4 letter non-sense domains or ridiculous made up (brandable) names...

Most of you know that travel.agency sold for 3000 USD in the beginning of this year.

Earlier travel.agency sold for $9999 at Flippa in May 2016.

And today Travel.Agency directs to a ridiculous domain name : http://www.jdjdjdjdjdjdj.com/

Search and see yourself...

I personally believe that the owner of travel.agency is still the same person since the day it was registered.

Pure speculation that hits the top news on every domain related media available on the Web.

Ever since the news about travel.agency, there have been dozens of topics created on domain related websites..

Nice move by dot Com speculators against their biggest competitor: the new gTLDs.

But not smart enough..

The first domain was registered back at 1985 and it was a dot Com, yet majority of the Million Dollar domain sales took place between 2007-2017.

The industry needed 22 to 32 years to reach a maturity.

Wait and see the victory of new gTLDs...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Old enough to spot the nonsense.
OLD ENOUGH TO CONFESS YOUR EXACT AGE..

YOU ARE MISSING TOO MUCH ABOUT 21st Century.

I understand you...

•••
Uniregistry decided to play Russian Roulette by choosing very low profile extensions.
Than they understand that chances to shoot themself is not strong enough so they increased the prices(BULLETS in the gun)

Errrr come again?

•••
Old enough to spot the nonsense.

Crazy stuff about ethics, it being a nightmare, not knowing you couldn't use .com until browsers came out, talking about some demand, even when Frank said it was lower than expected, you thinking new gtlds are competition to .coms etc. You joined a few months ago but if you read past threads, you would realize you're repeating the same stuff.

I don`t really care what Frank says or what he does.

I don`t care if I registered 6 years after you.

You should care that..

If the response is same..
If there are millions of new G registrars out there ...

•••
•••
•••
•••
newcomers have always the same old arguments, always identical posting style.. makes you wonder if the always same people create multiple accounts to post..

Gs will be huge simply because they say
Young generation only wants new extensions not the old ones
the old ones are much worse
this is new technology
you do not understand because you are too old
.com is inferior
growth is massive because .com took many years to get there
company xy has developed a site therefore the Gs are coming
companies like amazon apply for extensions therefore they believe in them
Gs look so much better
Developing countries are coming online

•••
newcomers have always the same old arguments, always identical posting style.. makes you wonder if the always same people create multiple accounts to post..

this is new technology
.com is inferior
Gs look so much better
AND YOU DISAGREE WITH ALL?

Well I can assure you I am not the same guy :)

One more example from me:

amg.istanbul

•••

this is new technology
.com is inferior
Gs look so much better
One more thing.
Do you say that you do not own ANY new G ?

•••
•••
Take your medication buddy.lol
One i own is driverless.blog and its really a crap name. Any more than reg fee i would be tickled pink.
How old are you?
41 messages of crap and an established member...
What a joke

•••
Take your medication buddy.lol
One i own is driverless.blog and its really a crap name. Any more than reg fee i would be tickled pink.
How old are you?
41 messages of crap and an established member...
What a joke
I am 28 years old.
About the medication thing I would like to highlight that your words are the mirror of your personality.
You can`t blame the whole new gTLD industry only because you have a very bad taste on domains.
You already said that its a crap name...
So what that I am an established member, what is your point?
You want this site and all users here to share the same point of view with you?

•••
The bit I quoted. So all of it.
I tried to explain that Uniregistry made a big mistake by registering bad new extensions, plus raising the annual price will really effect them financially.

GoDaddy already stopped selling their extensions. GoDaddy...
I believe one of the biggest seller of domain names right?

•••
•••
•••
Dozens of TLDs already retired from the root zone barely 3 years after launch.
TLDs that were delegated? Or are you talking about those that withdrew their applications?

newcomers have always the same old arguments
And you only joined in 2011, there are people here since 2002, imagine how much of the 'same but different' they have seen?

Not that this is ending any time soon, they're planning a new wave of ntlds in 2020 too!

Last edited:
•••
•••
TLDs that were delegated? Or are you talking about those that withdrew their applications?

And you only joined in 2011, there are people here since 2002, imagine how much the 'same but different' they have seen?

Not that this is ending any time soon, they're planning a new wave of ntlds in 2020 too!
Do you know which extensions coming on 2020?

•••
Yes, but it's all corpTLDs so there was no negative impact to the public. See: https://www.namepros.com/threads/list-of-retired-new-extensions.991424/
I did not even include them... there may be more.
I'm surprised payu dropped their tld, they have a best use case for a tld - they're payment processors.

Do you know which extensions coming on 2020?
Considering the applications haven't even been filed yet, no.

I think there is a use case that can be made for ntlds, but the prices make it a risky proposition for all but the very biggest of companies, a complete anti-thesis (imho) of the very reason for their release in the first place.

Last edited:
•••
Their is only one problem with ngTLDs and thats the owners fault... advertisements.

Go out to your parents brother sisters neighbors and ask hey do you know other domain extensions besides .com and they give you the wtf look. Its been less then 3 years and you expect the world to know what the new domain extensions are. Shit i know a few people that dont even know what a domain is...

I give it 5 years and .com investors will stop losing money. Specially with end users.

•••
Their is only one problem with ngTLDs and thats the owners fault... advertisements.

Go out to your parents brother sisters neighbors and ask hey do you know other domain extensions besides .com and they give you the wtf look. Its been less then 3 years and you expect the world to know what the new domain extensions are. sh*t i know a few people that dont even know what a domain is...

I give it 5 years and .com investors will stop losing money. Specially with end users.
Everyone knows facebook right so everyone knows what dot Com is.
Imagine when the next big thing on WEB named with a new extension. People will know and be aware of new gTLDs .

If a domain investor is smart enough to invest the right names, no matter dot Com or New gTLDs, and know when to sell and how to bargain, than no body loses money.

•••
Imagine when the next big thing on WEB named with a new extension. People will know and be aware of new gTLDs .
It's wishful thinking for several reasons.
For instance, one of the biggest Internet players, Google is not actively using its own extension. All they have been doing is a few low-scale experiments.
Indeed they use a .xyz, but for a minisite that hardly anybody visits. And new extensions are already 3 years old. What's the hold-up ?

To be ingrained in the minds of consumers, extensions need to be advertised, heavily, repeatedly. Not just once. Even a big site on a new extension will remain an oddity. Even if people are aware that .xyz exists, it doesn't mean they want one, and it doesn't mean they are aware of all the other strings that currently exist. In practice they are familiar with .com + their ccTLD and a few legacy extensions depending on their location. In the US, .mil .gov .edu .org are more or less well-know and understood. In other countries the market focus tends to be on .com and the local extension.
People don't care about new extensions.

However, it is true that new extensions need traction from end users. There has to be quality development in sufficient supply. But end users also need an incentive for using a new extension. The lack of price caps and long-time certainty are not incentives but obstacles.

•••
I have a couple of new extension domains so I have nothing against them but I have yet to see any real world evidence of any signs of success. Its extremely hard to break into a market that has already been cornered. Numbers and stats dont really mean anything to me when I have never seen any new extension names in use anywhere. Not on tv, radio, shop signs, truck sides, nothing. There is one stat that might be of significance here though... the vast magority of new businesses fail in the first 3 years. They have to change something before time and money runs out.

•••

Apart from (city) geos and brand TLDs, what on earth will companies apply for? Most if not all top 500 kws are already taken.

•••
Of those 2%, what's the percentage of registry sales ? 96% ?
Would you prefer the sales go to A wealthy investor?, A well connected investor ?, An investor willing to pay pre-release pricing?
An investor willing to sit on it for 10+ years ?
98% of "investors" would not have had the opportunity anyway. A "win" for end users. A "win" for promoting alternatives. How would an extension gain traction if an investor sat on it ? Do investor provide incentives ? NO.
Happy Hunting

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back