Dynadot

Speculating in Niche Markets - Or how to burn $2k

NameSilo
Watch

mr-x

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Recently, I noticed a large company registered almost 400 ( CityName )( Product )Dealer( s ).com domains. The risk for them is minor, if they sell 2 domains at the list price, they'll make 100%.

Their purchase gives the illusion of demand but the market is so narrow, about half of the domains still have shorter ( CityName ) (Product ).com available for registration.

If a .com hasn't been registered once in the last 20 years, you need to ask why.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Recently, I noticed a large company registered almost 400 ( CityName )( Product )Dealer( s ).com domains. The risk for them is minor, if they sell 2 domains at the list price, they'll make 100%.

Their purchase gives the illusion of demand but the market is so narrow, about half of the domains still have shorter ( CityName ) (Product ).com available for registration.

If a .com hasn't been registered once in the last 20 years, you need to ask why.

I'm doing the same thing. Pockets getting mighty light.

•••
This is the logic of a beginner: "I just need to make one sale to break even".
But that single sale will prove to be very elusive :)

Indeed that is a sign and should be a red flag.

•••
I'm doing the same thing. Pockets getting mighty light.

I was warned about narrow niches early on. Set a budget. A good name is easier to sell if you need money. Commodity names are worse then worthless ( expensive lesson ).

My best sale last year was from a domain I paid $2,500 for.

P.S. Sorry if I sound preachy. I've lost a lot of K's speculating like this too.

Last edited:
•••

You are wrong!!

I regularly post a series of "Politely Rejected" offers that I receive from various end-users on my domain names on Facebook under the hashtag #PolitelyRejected and I did make a post again today of a domain name Wichita+Studio(dot)com (registered June, 2016) which received an enduser offer of $100 hand registered during bulk purchase of around 200 or more geo+keyword.com domain names couple of months ago.

Surprisingly, many such keyword names are available due to lack of research and knowledge among new breed of domain name investors. Old domain name investors probably have too much on their plate to go on hand register spree.

•••
You are wrong!

Wrong about what? I didn't say don't.. I said ask yourself WHY.

WhichitaStuidos.com has dropped two times since 2008. I wouldn't call that in demand.

•••
Wrong about what? I didn't say don't.. I said ask yourself WHY.

Wrong about assuming if domain name hasnt been registered, means there are no takers for it in the market. One needs to know what they are doing while registering names with some relevant data to back it up IMO

WhichitaStuidos.com has dropped two times since 2008. I wouldn't call that in demand.

Makes sense there, however I am not justifying demand here by quoting mere 1 domain name. I quoted this one to prove the fact that there are still plenty on domain names that are left to be hand-registered and I am only arguing on that point bud :)

•••
Wrong about assuming if domain name hasnt been registered, means there are no takers for it in the market. One needs to know what they are doing while registering names with some relevant data to back it up IMO

You managed to repeat what I said with 1000% more words.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
xoxoxoxxx.com is still available.....

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back