Dynadot

discuss Spate of fake "offers" and "inquiries" for domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xynames

XYNames.comTop Member
Impact
These are direct email inquiries. I don't know what the end game is, but the inquiries range from

Hello,

How much would you be willing to sell this _____.com?
I'm interested in buying it.

Thank you.
Regards
Lovely

to

Hi,

If you're not using ______ .com, would you be interested in selling it for $XXXX?

Thanks,
Jen

On the surface the inquiries all seem fine, but tend to come from email addresses that are suspect, and tend to get flagged as SPAM, and the repetitive nature of the inquiries for so many domains is not representative of legitimate offers.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi @xynames

Are you noticing an increase of these spam inquiries on any marketplace (or portfolio site) in particular?

•••
These are direct email inquiries, sent directly to the WhoIs registered email address.

•••
These are direct email inquiries, sent directly to the WhoIs registered email address.
I see, annoying indeed. At what registrar? Is the email directly visible, or do they use a web form provided by the registrar? Do the spammers have to confirm their addresses first, before submitting?

•••
Actually you know what, I just looked at the domaintools.com listing for one of my domains and even though privacy guard is off, the Registrant Email is REDACTED FOR PRIVACY (DT). So now I am wondering how they got the direct email?

I actually did respond to the first two, but now I stopped responding after more came in.

Last edited:
•••
So now I am wondering how they got the direct email?
Hi

i got one yesterday, via direct email and name is also on privy

a few times every other year, such inquiries are sent by "fishermen".
and if the name they inquire about is listed on a marketplace, then i'll just send the link, or they can reply with an offer.

you never know, unless it's from same email addy, so i'll respond to all of them.

imo...

•••
Five separate inquiries for top domains of mine all came from the same gmail a crazy looking gmail that only a spammer could have come up with.

I’m willing to spend a few minutes here to warn others but I’m not going to waste time responding to these spammers. I disagree - with enough time and experience you “can know.”

•••
I definitely agree, they are on the UP. another one this week. looks genuine. due diligence check shows private email registered at Namecheap just a short while ago. . Web address doesn't resolve. And very similar to a genuine business

Sender. Wants to deal privately with me to save public notice of transaction. No response to my pointing out anomalies, or respond to my request for phone number.. Just looking to lure you in to a no protection sale. I've had several the same format.

Before it was gmail addresses now they use throw away domain addresses to look more convincing as a business.

Yes, I know all the safety steps to take before transferring a domain, escrow etc. but these so called buyers will probably put up an attempt to lure the unfortunate in.

Last edited:
•••
Yes I’ve received both gmails and throw away domain address inquiries lately.

Seriously about all these waste of time inquiries are good for is to perhaps keep track of each inquiry as an indication that these particular domains of yours are definitely worth a decent sum because scammers aren’t attracted to garbage.

Last edited:
•••
Yes I’ve received both gmails and throw away domain address inquiries lately.

Seriously about all these waste of time inquiries are good for is to perhaps keep track of each inquiry as an indication that these particular domains of yours are definitely worth a decent sum because scammers aren’t attracted to garbage.
A new parameter for domain name appraisal - how many s[c/p]am inquiries does it receive per year ;)

•••
I've received at least four such different offers since Oct of 2022. Three arrived very close to other offers -- I wonder if they're designed to 'soften up' sellers. The email includes an image which can be tracked. Jen / Jenny operates from artist10 and cocoartist :xf.sick:

•••
These are direct email inquiries. I don't know what the end game is, but the inquiries range from

Hello,

How much would you be willing to sell this _____.com?
I'm interested in buying it.

Thank you.
Regards
Lovely

to

Hi,

If you're not using ______ .com, would you be interested in selling it for $XXXX?

Thanks,
Jen

On the surface the inquiries all seem fine, but tend to come from email addresses that are suspect, and tend to get flagged as SPAM, and the repetitive nature of the inquiries for so many domains is not representative of legitimate offers.

I just got the Jen one. Seemed suspicious because of the space after my name and before the extension, because they were offering more than the price I listed on the marketplace offer page where it's parked, and since their email domain name wasn't resolving. Googled the text of the email and here I am :cautious:

•••
I've had two more in the past three weeks, from Jen, who seems a con artist.

•••
Many such "inquiries" do have the following is common:
1. Are using tracking pixel in message body. Can be detected by reviewing message source.
2. Are sent to outdated whois emails. Recently got someting similar on a domain I sold long ago...

•••
Yep, it's Jen for all my recent enquiries also, each time using a different email service. they were easy to spot right from the first as a likely fake offer. I've no doubt a few might believe they have a genuine offer. The offers seem to be on the lower side of a realistic offer adding to plausibility. high $xxx for mine

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back