Dynadot

.mobi Spanair.mobi and Vodafone Spain join forces to save their customers time with a new..

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Spanair and Vodafone Spain join forces to save their customers time with a new mobile boarding card service

Spanair thus becomes the first airline to offer passengers this type of service.

Madrid, 20 November 2007.- At the start of this month, Spanair launched its new mobile boarding card service in partnership with Vodafone, which provides the mobile connectivity services.

Spanair thus becomes the first airline to offer its passengers this type of service, in the light of the recent publication by IATA of a mobile boarding standard based on two-dimensional codes. The Madrid-Bilbao route will launch this service up to the end of the year, at which point the company will begin rolling out the mobile boarding card on all its domestic routes.

Focusing primarily on business passengers, this innovative system facilitates receiving a Spanair boarding card via a multimedia message (MMS) sent to a mobile telephone. The multimedia message contains an image with a two-dimensional code (dot code) which transmits all the information necessary to execute automated boarding, as well as a text information section with all travel details. Thus, to obtain their boarding cards, passengers will just need to proceed to the special check-in desks and pass the code through a scanner.

To obtain their mobile boarding card, passengers will be required to check-in using the web-based check-in service at www.spanair.com, or by connecting to the internet via their mobiles via the new mobile check-in service at www.spanair.mobi, which will be launched in tandem with the mobile boarding card service. At the end of the process, the passenger is asked for his or her mobile number, to which Spanair will send the corresponding multimedia message (MMS) free of charge.

In order to use this system, passengers simply need to pass the code sent to their mobile through the scanners at Madrid and Bilbao airports. On doing so, they will obtain a paper receipt with which they will be able to pass through security and proceed to boarding.

Vodafone's director of innovation and business development, Pedro Fuertes, commented that "the mobile boarding card and, in general terms, ticketing systems based on mobile handsets, are further evidence that mobile telephones, in addition to facilitating voice-based communication, are making life easier for us by allowing for secure access to endless services, at any time and from anywhere".

Spanair piloted this system in June during the Vodafone innovation show, which also served as the launch for this new service. Pablo SΓ‘nchez, Director of E-Commerce at Spanair stated that "with this advance, Spanair is laying the foundations for implementation of a boarding card system in the near future that will be 100% paper-less; thereby ensuring greater passenger comfort and a substantial saving of time".

Vodafone Spain is part of the Vodafone group, the world leader in mobiles, operating in 25 countries, with agreements in a further 38 worldwide. Vodafone provides a complete range of mobile telecommunications services, including voice and data communication, ensuring access for 232 million proportional customers. Vodafone Spain's 15 million clients benefit from the experience and capacity of a world business leader helping individuals, companies and communities to be better connected in a mobile world
Spanair was founded in 1986 and offers more than 600 daily flights operated with a fleet of 63 aircraft and in code share with its partners, to 241 destinations. Since April 2003, Spanair is a member of Star Alliance, the largest and most prestigious airline network in the world.
You may use these links to obtain further information on the service: www.spanair.com /
www.spanair.mobi

Heads of PR & Communications Department
Tel. + 34 91 343 30 32/ 971 745 170

Here's the link: http://www.europeaninvestor.com/Sit...=s-sas&PressID=20865&MenuItem=91&wtLang=Dutch

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very interesting, thank you!
:sold:

•••
Very nice, its good to see .mobi and .com working together. Would be interesting to see which extension get used the most.

Great find.

•••
cheers. interesting
rep added

•••
noonoo1 said:
Very nice, its good to see .mobi and .com working together. Would be interesting to see which extension get used the most.

Great find.

IMHO, it is not important to see which extension will get used the most ; each one needs the other one ; they are complementary.( Excuse my english, I am french canadian from MontrΓ©al)
At home, while my wife is watching Oprah, I will use my PC and dot com in order to check the information. At the shopping center, in my car, at the beach, I will use my Cell and the dot mobi.

•••
arnie said:
cheers. interesting
rep added
Uhm, if you look down a couple posts you will see this story was mentioned here a day earlier. Now I know how the invisible man feels.

•••
allnicksgone said:
Uhm, if you look down a couple posts you will see this story was mentioned here a day earlier. Now I know how the invisible man feels.

Sorry, didn't see it, but it's important enough to tell twice :red: :imho:

•••
allnicksgone said:

ha, actually i have no choice but to ignore you and your terrible, terrible towel.

Go BROWNS!

j/k rep added.

•••
namewaiter said:
ha, actually i have no choice but to ignore you and your terrible, terrible towel.

Go BROWNS!

j/k rep added.
The Browns are looking good. You have a lot to cheer about this season. They looked so bad in the first game that I truly believed they would not win a game all year. I thought I was watching a ticker tape parade with all those penalty flags flying around.

They have turned things around and I hope they make the playoffs (but not farther than the Steelers.)

Anyways, back to the subject. Other airlines do have some version of mobile check in, but spanair's seems the most sophisticated, and the only one using .mobi. Hopefully it gets the attention of other airlines.

•••
•••
The most important thing I see here is something nobody mentioned, but it is very powerful: Vodafone "pushing" .mobi as the standard. Now think how many different businesses in different sectors Vodafone partners with. And if they're recommending .mobi to all of them... :sold:

•••
skeitel said:
The most important thing I see here is something nobody mentioned, but it is very powerful: Vodafone "pushing" .mobi as the standard. Now think how many different businesses in different sectors Vodafone partners with. And if they're recommending .mobi to all of them... :sold:

Compelling point IMHO.

It does say Vodafone "provides the mobile connectivity services". I can't imagine that role not involving a say on the extension to be used for the dedicated mobile service.
:imho:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back