IT.COM

Social Network Gab.com being threatened by GoDaddy: 24 hours to transfer or suspension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainguy50

Established Member
Impact
backstory: Gab is a social network alternative to twitter. their selling point is free speech (all speech is welcome, including what you believe might be hate speech.) which is basically is the first amendment. no unlawful material is allowed, but virtually any speech is. recently they purchased the "gab com" domain for $220k.

this site is very controversial as a result, with mainstream media outlets claiming it is popular with nazi and anti-semite messages. the site has 800,000 users and has experienced modest growth recently so it really isnt all bad hate speech. regardless, those disgusting messages on the site by some users are also lawful no matter how distasteful they are. as a result of these media attacks, (and the recent revelation that the synagogue shooter in pittsburgh yesterday had an active gab profile) gab is being unfairly targeted by smear campaigns online reporting the site as "a hate speech site" via email to gab's service providers.

gabs host (microsoft) revoked its contract with gab a few months ago

gabs payment providers (paypal and stripe) just revoked their services

just a few minutes ago, godaddy has said they will stop working with gab:
(i cant post the image or link idk why)
"BREAKING: Godaddy is threatening to suspend our domain (which is worth six figures) if we do not transfer to a new provider by tomorrow. This is madness."

the complexity of the situation is compounded by the fact that Gab is on a payment plan to fully own the domain since they recently purchased it. the broker/escrow agent control this which makes it even more difficult for the company to transfer to a new registrar by EOD tomorrow.

I understand that Godaddy is a private business and its clauses may allow it to do this, but this seems extreme overreaction. "24 hours to transfer or else" is a very menacing way of doing business.

-if you were in charge of gab what would you do? create your own payment processor, host, and DNS? they got deplatformed quickly... i guess they could try to get an offshore Hosting company or invest in native hosting.

-what is the most "free speech" friendly DNS provider there is?

-is it fair for internet infrastructure companies to de-platform a small upstart social network because of controversial speech? or should companies like DNS and hosting should be regulated and allow any customer as long as it is lawful content being hosted.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What double standard, quote.

And how do you not understand after it's been explained to you many times? You think negative publicity is..........good? Does that make sense?
Paypal works with facebook where murders are live streamed on facebook live

Pqypal works with twitter where Isis and pedophiles organize. Where racism proliferares and violent arson and riots are organized.
Live streamed murders aren't negative publicity?

•••

Pqypal works with twitter where Isis and pedophiles organize. Where racism proliferares and violent arson and riots are organized.

What part of they should handle that stuff do you struggle with? Obviously if some pedo stuff is happening on Twitter, it should get handled. That's hard to believe, it would happen on a public place like that. So I don't even have any idea of what you're talking about.

Last edited:
•••
What part of they should handle that stuff do you struggle with? Obviously if some pedo stuff is happening on Twitter, it should get handled.
Who is "they"

Paypal continues to do business on negative publicity channels like facebook and twitter, so that excuse to cut off gab is null and void

•••
Who is "they"

Paypal continues to do business on negative publicity channels like facebook and twitter, so that excuse to cut off gab is null and void

Who is they? Who have we been talking about, Twitter, Paypal, whoever. Follow the conversation.

•••

and that is the craziest shit I have heard about too, unbelievable that it has happened multiple times and it just fades to the shadows, I guess trying to fight a multi-billionaire might be the equation.

•••
•••
•••
So Facebook is supposed to see the future and stop it? When something is live, anything can happen.
So is Gab supposed to see the future?

•••
So is Gab supposed to see the future?

They're supposed to moderate. Go reread the quote on how they feel about that. This isn't a live streaming service.

Last edited:
•••
•••
So Facebook is supposed to see the future and stop it? When something is live, anything can happen.
There is no way to stop it IMO, It is part of this new world we live in, new for me anyway, being in my 50's age wise. Technology has man by the balls.

•••
•••
Who is they? Who have we been talking about, Twitter, Paypal, whoever. Follow the conversation.
They're supposed to moderate. Go reread the quote on how they feel about that. This isn't a live streaming service.
gab has no legal obligation to moderate. They do the best they can

•••
•••
•••
Pretty good. 800,000 users.

Not right now. Maybe they'll learn from their past mistakes once they get up and running again. And based on what you said earlier, about privacy, maybe less.

it seemed like gab gave the data in an "unsolicited" manner manner almost like a violation of personal Privacy and data.

Last edited:
•••
Not right now. Maybe they'll learn from their past mistakes once they get up and running again. And based on what you said earlier, about privacy, maybe less.
They're not perfect. But I don't think they've done much wrong. They'll probably boost moderation. Btw I don't think the killer posted anything violent on gab. I haven't seen all his posts but from what i saw it wasnt illegal or violent

•••
•••
•••
I guess trying to fight a multi-billionaire might be the equation.

Key point there - both Google and FB taking big $ for ads that sway elections, as well as not dealing with organised bots that influence elections and public opinion.

Politicians seem reluctant so far to deal with the effects of social media platforms becoming news sources and effectively publishers, and replacing MSM (main stream media). Many people only get news from one end of the political spectrum now and have no way of checking it. That makes division, paranoia and hatred more likely if you never hear from or understand people you disagree with.

Think about all those politicians using FB, gmail, Netflix - those giants know everything about politicians, do the politicians really want to risk upsetting the giants?

•••
Did you not read the article?

"“the Tweet clearly violated our rules and should have been removed.”
No different than Gab, in fact Gab worked with law enforcement. Different than what Twitter does.

•••
As an Israeli Jew, and someone who has zero tolerance to hate, I think that what Godaddy did is BAD.

Telling Gab to transfer their domain or it's suspended is acceptable, because the website is against their TOS.
but only 24hrs? are you kidding me? should've given them a few weeks at least.

This is weird, and I'm actually shocked they gave them only a day to transfer their domain

•••
Does that apply to Abortions as well and does it apply to letting women have their own reproductive choices?

how could discussing about abortion
or alternative methods of reproduction
be wrong?

conclusion:
discussing adult domain names may be wrong too

Last edited:
•••
https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/m...int-summons-from-uk-and-canadian-parliaments/

Two separate parliamentary committees, in the UK and Canada, have issued an unprecedented international joint summons for Facebook’s CEO Mark Zuckerberg to appear before them.

The committees are investigating the impact of online disinformation on democratic processes and want Zuckerberg to answer questions related to the Cambridge Analytica-Facebook user data misuse scandal, which both have been probing this year.

More broadly, they are also seeking greater detail about Facebook’s digital policies and information governance practices — not least, in light of fresh data breaches — as they continue to investigate the democratic impacts and economic incentives related to the spread of online disinformation via social media platforms.

•••
discussing adult domain names may be wrong too
Even here, on NP, you can often see some folks complaining for some adult domains, sending complaints to registrars etc. What a crazy snowflake world.

Sorry for off topic.

•••
Back