Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
Should I buy the domain..
and before I could even get to the name, she responded with a big "NO!"
I paused for a minute or so, then continued with the name "blahblah.extension"

She paused for a few seconds.. then said "Well why don't you sell what you already have?"

I said "It's good to keep fresh inventory." To which she responded "I think you should sell, before you buy."

She raised a good point. I mean, we can keep on adding names to our inventory, but no matter the excuse, at some point its poignant to take a step back and focus on existing carrying costs and what we already have. It's easy to get excited about a new name, because we don't it yet. But this is the same feeling that we had about just about every domain we pick up, isn't it? And if it doesn't sell, there it sits.

Point is, some domains take longer than others to sell but in the meantime year over year we have to pay the price to hold them, and there will always be "fresh" names to add- it's basically never-ending. So unless you're selling regularly or have a steady stream of capital to keep renewing, don't let a quick fancy make a dent in your wallet.

I think, this was her wisdom. Or common sense. My wife at times is my sounding board, to which I am extremely grateful for. Other times, I wonder what the heck I am missing out on, but such is life. You'll never miss what you never had.

Do you have a sounding board that you filter your domaining through, or do you fall for impulse buying more often than not?

Hope you all have enjoyed your summer thus far, and enjoyed your domaining even more. Let's sell, before we buy. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
You should simply set a target portfolio size and move towards it in steps. For example if you have 100 domains and your target is 1000 domains then set your next target to 300, when you reach 300 stop and wait for sales, after you make enough sales move to your next step of 500 and so on... Grow your portfolio wisely and do not overspend.

Last edited:
•••
Like I mentioned earlier, my significant other kind of filters out anything I have to say about domains... geek stuff... All that.

This thread inspired me though. So I asked her about one I was looking to buy yesterday.

Her response: "if spending that $150 on that domain will make you shut up about domains it's well worth it."

Love her though.

•••
There is a reason there are way fewer ladies in domains than guys.

Just empirical observation, but women prefer tangible assets they can see, feel, have paperwork for, have liquid value, provide stable predictable returns.

NP is like a Gentlemen's Club. Even few active ladies we had, like @Kate and @brandsly are rarely here...

So, it is expected that most wives won't be enthusiastic about domains. Mine certainly isn't. But that will change once it is more true business like, with regular cash flow, controls, structure etc. That will come with 10k+ names, better conversion on the site etc.

•••
My wife had the same response when we first got married. She's not technical and did not understand it and considered domaining as "squatting".

I've also kept my domain names as a separate business with small sales, parking, and AdSense revenues. Then I hit a few big ones and now she's the one that told me to hold out for the big fish.

•••
•••
There is a reason there are way fewer ladies in domains than guys.

Just empirical observation, but women prefer tangible assets they can see, feel, have paperwork for, have liquid value, provide stable predictable returns.

NP is like a Gentlemen's Club. Even few active ladies we had, like @Kate and @brandsly are rarely here...

So, it is expected that most wives won't be enthusiastic about domains. Mine certainly isn't. But that will change once it is more true business like, with regular cash flow, controls, structure etc. That will come with 10k+ names, better conversion on the site etc.
Good points, but in the end it just comes down to.. women are just plain smarter than us. Have always wondered what the domainsphere would look like, were it dominated by females. We should probably be grateful, probably wouldn't stand a chance. Have always told my wife she would make a great domainer, to which I get the old eye-roll.

Lets not forget about DNGear, mistressbellek, Corey, and Kate Buckley..

•••
Have always wondered what the domainsphere would look like, were it dominated by females.

I can think of some parts in the domainsphere that's dominated by females. Can't elaborate on that as you never know if the missus is reading.

•••
I can think of some parts in the domainsphere that's dominated by females. Can't elaborate on that as you never know if the missus is reading.
She likely already knows.. they can read minds too.

•••
She likely already knows.. they can read minds too.

Some might say they can even control minds too. I never bought into that conspiracy untill she made me buy a Prius instead of a Jeep.

•••
Theoretically, we should sell before we buy, i agree, but everytime I see a 'good' name i feel like this is the one that can make the change. Slowly it will sit there with many of its friends in my plrtfolio.

The thing is, I do like the feeling before buying a name, the excitement just before winning an auction! The minute you buy it, you start feeling guilty, at least that's me. But it's been among the very few things that still excites me, so I still do it for the adventure and the adrenaline. I hope I don't sound crazy here.

Amr
LOL, not crazy, but you possibly exhibit an addictive personality trait like many of us ;)

•••
LOL, not crazy, but you possibly exhibit an addictive personality trait like many of us ;)
Glad I'm not the only one! :ROFL:

•••
We have had domain names since 1996 and my wife and I have always " worked together "
on acquisitions, accepting / rejecting offers, pricing names and, the all important, thinning of the herd.

And as importantly we have worked together on where to buy names and the sales platforms to use for selling names.

Today we discussed 5 names my pseudo-creative brain recognized as: must have - can't miss - high value - soon to be in incredible demand domain names and, her common sense and wisdom prevailed and we reg. just 1 of the 5. ( Maybe it was a mercy reg. and she was feeling sorry for me.)

So yes, I have a terrific sounding board who is very experienced with domains and she uses that elusive ingredient necessary to maintain an ok portfolio, logic.

•••
Good points, but in the end it just comes down to.. women are just plain smarter than us. Have always wondered what the domainsphere would look like, were it dominated by females. We should probably be grateful, probably wouldn't stand a chance. Have always told my wife she would make a great domainer, to which I get the old eye-roll.

Lets not forget about DNGear, mistressbellek, Corey, and Kate Buckley..

Yeah, still just a few though. When they get into the business, they are great, methodical and on the point.

The fact there are few is not due to them lacking talent. My theory still is that they just don't have the initial excitement with the class of the assets like men do. We are more prone to start collecting shiny things.

•••
my wife doesn't know that I'm domaining yet, I'm new to domaining and actually very bad domainer. I bought 66 useless domains in 4 months and sold only two of them making a win of a 550$. (more than half of what I spend for all the 66 domain)
I'm actually keeping it secret until I make it a solid win:xf.grin:
and not buying anything else until I manage to sell half my domains this year for whatever price I get.

my wife pretty smart and she is right 50% of the time.:xf.love::xf.love::xf.love:

•••
This is a basic opinion that apply to any purpose which professionals forgot and sometimes do not take notice.

I understand.

I mean such questions will eventually destroy romantic relation if asked to wife or girlfriend. Because man has to lead romantic relation and leaders may need opinions of experts only. There would be no problem if asked to husband or boy friend.

•••
Next time she discusses buying more clothing ask her to sell the stuff she will never wear but holds onto just in case... See how that goes. Good luck.

😒😒😒😒😔😔😔 😶😶😶

^^^^^^^ That said, we don't 'discuss' buying clothes.

The clothes, shoes, bags and jewellery come out the shop and follow us home, or they just post themselves to our home address! 😎😎😎

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back