Dynadot

So a 'pointed' domain sells better than 'empty' one , right?

NameSilo
Watch

elodo

Established Member
Impact
I have read quite a lot here on the topic, and still, sorry, couldn't understand fully:

so if you're not interested in any (supposed) revenue from ads/clicks, and just want to sell a domain on the auction -

will then adding, say, Afternic's DNS to it help selling it on Afternic?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have read quite a lot here on the topic, and still, sorry, couldn't understand fully:

so if you're not interested in any (supposed) revenue from ads/clicks, and just want to sell a domain on the auction -

As mentioned above, list domains on all the 3 main markets Sedo, Dan, Afternic.

You can use landing page / name servers of those 3 markets on a rotation basis after every few months to check which gets you sales / leads.
Adding a particular marketplace's name servers / using their respective landing page also decides the commission you pay if the domain is sold.
If a domain is sold through a particular marketplace but the name server / landing page used is of another marketplace, you will end up paying more commission to that marketplace which helped you sell that domain.

•••

You add it on three platforms : afternic and sedo and Dan , And it’s your choice to add the DNS of one of them .

•••
Thank you very much for your answers! (Especially for the comissions info - I didn't know that before) I'm afraid, I used too many words and didn't make myself clear enough here -

I just mean, if this is about selling only, no ads' revenue interest - is it worth it to point a domain to their landing page? Will it sell better because of that?
In case someone tried opening the domain directly, potential buyer will see the landing page and the impact of the landing page and sellers features (payment options, lease option, make offer option) will have an effect on the potential buyers decision to buy.
* When the domain is in immediate demand, none of the factors will have an effect. Buyer will just buy it through the landing page or through his favorite marketplace assuming you listed the domain there as well.

Many potential buyers will search for a domain using the marketplace search bar and open the respective page. Here name server will not make any difference.

When using Dan landing page, you will not get any https / secure site alert. The domain will just directly load the landing page. In case of Sedo and Afternic, you will get the "HTTPS-Only Mode Alert Secure Site Not Available" alert (depending on browser config) asking you to choose to load the http page instead, which wouldn't give a positive feeling when the potential buyer is not aware of why he is seeing it (Unless he is a regular domain buyer)

Also, you would have to decide whether to list the domain as a BIN sale or Make offer or both.
In case of pointing the name server to afternic, below page will help you with respective name servers.

https://www.afternic.com/sales-acceleration

The above page will also give you an idea if BIN / Make offer is the best option for your domain based on the value you are expecting for that domain, irrespective of the marketplace.

•••
You add it on three platforms : afternic and sedo and Dan , And it’s your choice to add the DNS of one of them .

As mentioned above, list domains on all the 3 main markets Sedo, Dan, Afternic.

You can use landing page / name servers of those 3 markets on a rotation basis after every few months to check which gets you sales / leads.
Adding a particular marketplace's name servers / using their respective landing page also decides the commission you pay if the domain is sold.
If a domain is sold through a particular marketplace but the name server / landing page used is of another marketplace, you will end up paying more commission to that marketplace which helped you sell that domain.

Thank you very much for your answers! (Especially for the comissions info - I didn't know that before) I'm afraid, I used too many words and didn't make myself clear enough here -

I just mean, if this is about selling only, no ads' revenue interest - is it worth it to point a domain to their landing page? Will it sell better because of that?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back