Dynadot

question Simply trying to get my old domain back , please help

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sitemonkey

Impact
I have had the same business name for over 15 years and someone snatched the domain. Its useless to others and it's my brand. have been waiting for it to drop, had it backordered on sav and was notified it was about to be attempted a couple weeks ago. Never heard anything else. Now it's registered by Wildwestdomains and says the reseller is microsoft 365, This shit is so disgusting. I can't afford hundreds of dollars or even $100 for this domain right now. I used a command line whois lookup only when checking . How do I find out who has this domain and why did this happen? Who do I contact direct?

So pissed right now.

Also, if I have an iphone domain, like iphonecases dot com ,and use it, will it just be taken from me? Things have changed alot since I last freelanced and things have changed. Any guidance would be awesome.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have had the same business name for over 15 years and someone snatched the domain. Its useless to others and it's my brand. have been waiting for it to drop, had it backordered on sav and was notified it was about to be attempted a couple weeks ago. Never heard anything else. Now it's registered by Wildwestdomains and says the reseller is microsoft 365, This shit is so disgusting. I can't afford hundreds of dollars or even $100 for this domain right now. I used a command line whois lookup only when checking . How do I find out who has this domain and why did this happen? Who do I contact direct?

So pissed right now.

Also, if I have an iphone domain, like iphonecases dot com ,and use it, will it just be taken from me? Things have changed alot since I last freelanced and things have changed. Any guidance would be awesome.

"I have had the same business name for over 15 years and someone snatched the domain. Its useless to others and it's my brand."

"Also, if I have an iphone domain, like iphonecases dot com ,and use it"

I don't know if you are trolling or not, but you can visit the name and see if there is a for sale lander. You should also not use domains with trademarks obviously.

•••
How do I find out who has this domain and why did this happen? Who do I contact direct?
Looks like you did't pay the yearly renewal fee, so the domain got sold at auction or dropped and got re-registered. Now the domain belongs to the person who bought/registered it. Your only option is to contact the new owner. But if this domain has some value, you are not getting it back for $100 for sure.

•••
I feel your pain, we have all lost domains that we like. Unfortunately if you didn't renew the domain then your rental period of ownership of the domain ends...

If you have an established brand then there may be avenues that you can take but it won't be easy.

•••
What kind of business can't afford a one-time expense of $100 to secure its name in .com? Serious question, I'm not trying to troll you

•••
First - you are super cheap or making this up.

Second - the name probably did not drop, if held by WildWestDomains - it was most likely sold though Godaddy expired auctions.

Third - how did a purported innocent novice, like yourself, happen upon SAV, and not Dropcatch/Namejet for a drop?

Fourth - circling back - It is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO CATCH A DOMAIN competitively with Godaddy (WildWest). I don't think they can beat SAV.

Last edited:
•••
there is no such thing as your domain.. u just rent it for as long as u pay renew fee. if u stop.paying then someone else rents it... so u see nothing is yours and no one took nothing from u... u all just renters.

•••
the registrar would have sent you a renewal, about to expire notice. why did you not renew?

•••

So pissed right now.

I understand your frustration with someone snatching your domain after having the same business name for over 15 years. It can be disheartening, especially when it's an essential part of your brand. To find out who currently owns the domain and why it happened, you can try performing a WHOIS lookup. This will provide you with information about the domain's current registrant. As for reclaiming the domain, you may want to contact the domain registrar, Wildwestdomains, and inquire about the process for reclaiming a domain that was previously owned by you. They might be able to provide guidance or assistance.

Regarding your question about an "iphone" domain like iphonecases.com, if you own and actively use the domain, it generally should not be taken from you. However, it's important to ensure that you abide by any trademark or intellectual property regulations to avoid potential legal issues. If you have concerns or uncertainties about domain ownership and usage, consulting with a legal professional would be advisable to receive accurate guidance tailored to your specific situation.

•••
"I'll let the domain expire and register it again" might be one of the most common methods to lose a domain. Lesson learnt, now swallow the bitter pill and buy it back or find another.

•••
I once let a domain expire that had "Dan" in it, but was lucky to it back for $175 and it was only 8-letters long. But, not everyone is that lucky, and I was a newbee in 2004 when that happened and simply messed up. But, yeah a person needs to plan to pay $100+ to get back their old domain. I probably paid a tad high but at least I got it back. It was a newbee mistake for me which I haven't made again. If I remember correctly I somehow couldn't access my domainpricedright account (a GD reseller) and that's why it happened. Hope OP works something out to get his domain again.

•••
It can be disheartening, especially when it's an essential part of your brand.
It can't be that essential considering it probably went inactive for a while before it dropped.

•••
Last edited:
•••
if you were holding and renewing it for 15 years why didn't you renew it this time?

•••
The guy posted and never came back. If you are reading this its your fault and no one else’s that you didn’t renew the name.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
What kind of business can't afford a one-time expense of $100 to secure its name in .com? Serious question, I'm not trying to troll you
I agree and don't want to sound like a troll to OP but I doubt there is much the NP people can do to get your domain back. You may end up buying it from them or finding a new domain.

•••
I hope you guys work it out.
”Lease-to-own” has never been more available! You’ll come to a compromise. Who knows, they might even forget drop. (Like you!) GL!

Last edited:
•••
•••
Seriously??? The guy is clearly angry and can learn his lesson and delete the review. I don't really think it's necessary to try and drag the guy's name through the mud and induce more pain.
Convinced! Edited my post. Hope you too lol.

I hope my new post‘s more positivity hope.

Last edited:
•••
The guy posted and never came back. If you are reading this its your fault and no one else’s that you didn’t renew the name.
he didn't get the sympathy/support he thought he was going to get.

•••
•••
First - you are super cheap or making this up.

Second - the name probably did not drop, if held by WildWestDomains - it was most likely sold though Godaddy expired auctions.

Third - how did a purported innocent novice, like yourself, happen upon SAV, and not Dropcatch/Namejet for a drop?

Fourth - circling back - It is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO CATCH A DOMAIN competitively with Godaddy (WildWest). I don't think they can beat SAV.
well sav failed, but I didn't get a notice of failure on sav. I may be a domain novice but Ive been around fora long time with long reaching contacts....they throw me bones when I need them.

•••
he didn't get the sympathy/support he thought he was going to get.
sorry guys , thanks for all the super fast responses. I work a full time jobs so very little time in between, but I do apologize.

•••
It can't be that essential considering it probably went inactive for a while before it dropped.
was going through life and death health issues, didn't think I was going to live. This slipped through the cracks.

•••
Back