Dynadot

showcase Showcase domains that automated appraisal gives wrong ESTIMATE.

NameSilo
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hello,
I just got off an long emails with a potential buyer who tried to use Godaddy domain estimate on the domain he was interested in that I owned to try to get it for $2,473 meanwhile I'm asking for 6 figures or more.

I hated that I did not readily have available on hand a list of domain names that I could give him to prove that these automated estimation appraisal tools were crap.

So I just did some random appraisals for domains that Godaddy estimated low.

So figured why not ask NP to share their finds using Godaddy appraisal tool for example.

Coronavirus.com $4,111
Covid.com $7,029
Covid19.com less than $100
covid-19.com less than $100
bettingodds.com $20,786
SolarWind.com $15,788
WindSolar.com $8,867
ExpiredDomain.com $11,133
Backorders.com $15,593
N95.com $20,276
Vaccines.com $18,780
GeorgeFloyd.com $1,122
Metoo.com $23,772
KanyeWest.com $14,153
Kardashians.com $5,761
BillieEilish.com $5,161
JerseyCity.com $20,099 (Where I'm from. No way this can be just $20 grand)
Bayonne.com $10,637
FortLee.com $10,272
Bullions.com $11,895

Please share some of your own finds. Let's have a ready to use database of totally wrong domain appraisal estimations. So when the next slick buyer tries to use these appraisals to try to get the cheaper price and try to imply by using these appraisals that your price is overpriced or unrealistic, you will be ready to copy and paste examples of these appraisals doing a horrible job at appraising. You will only need to prove that these things make one or two mistakes but to ram the point home. Lets give them a stack of mistakes by this so called in fallible automated appraisal tools.

Totally ridiculous!

Use the tool below.

https://www.godaddy.com/domain-value-appraisal

PS. try to submit just domain names that these tools give estimates below $25,000 especially Godaddy. Godaddy seems to put a cap at $25,000 and above.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
why try the wrong tool. You already know the answer.

•••
KamalaHarris.com $5,373
Astrazeneca.com $12,103
Moderna.com $16,061
OrganicFood.com $20,182

•••
why try the wrong tool. You already know the answer.

The point is not me using the tool but these slick buyers who are wanna domainers. actually just became a domainer 10 minutes ago and wants to step up to a seasoned domainer with years of experience who lives and breathes this stuff and tries to use a flawed tool to try to say that I'm over pricing my domains because Godaddy told him my domain name should only be $2473 at most?

now I have to go thru the whole speech on why that tool sucks?

These people will use that tool like it's law just because it's Godaddy. I just spent an hour explaining how flawed these tools are. the problem is that I had to manually check each domain I can think of that I know is worth big money and see what Godaddy appraises it for and then tell this buyer via email the wrong appraisals.

I don't want you guys to go thru that so I figured at our down time for fun maybe we can check via Godaddy's tool what prices Godaddy gives certain domain names that obvious are worth above $25,000. That way we have a ready database to access when we need it.

I'll be honest. It caught me off guard and really pissed me off when this guy tried to be slick and try to cut me off at the knees. I'm over hear asking for $100,000 and he's telling me Google only says he should pay $2,473? naaah bro. naaaah. homey don't play that.

Matter of fact guys?

Next time someone tries to us Godaddy appraisal estimates to lowball you? Just send them a link to this thread. That is the easy way.

Last edited:
•••
FreshDirect.com $14,271
PetSmart.com $16,733
PinkBerry.com $11,899

•••
Burberry.com $22,608
Dodgers.com $18,039
Mets.com $24,786
Namepros.com $7,339
Namesilo.com $6,457
dynadot.com $8,916
BurgerKing.com $12,895

•••
All of them always give the wrong estimate.

•••
•••
GodaddyAppraisal.com - $1,153.......

Yeah right.........

•••
I think this is a useful thread. Both end-users and domain investors can learn not to trust these appraisals. The only issue is how do we ensure all posted appraisals are indeed wrong? One has to know value well for such conclusions and the wrongfulness of the stated auto appraisals should be evident to most. But this is just a matter of uncovering the truth through a discussion I guess.

One good way I see is comparing recent publicly reported retail sales with automated appraisals. Here are the few:

Pay.ac - 20,000 SOLD
GD Appraisal - 1,046
Estibot - 1,400

Electrifier.com - 11,878 SOLD
GD Appraisal - 2,229
Estibot - 3,200

Protocol.xyz - 8,000 SOLD
GD Appraisal - 946
Estibot - 830

1of1.com - 85,000 SOLD
GD Appraisal - 5,357
Estibot - 640

a.company - 22,000 SOLD
GD Appraisal - 859
Estibot - unsupported

•••
The GoDaddy software overvalues bad domains and undervalues great ones.

Automated appraisals are meaningless when it comes to price, but there is a big gap between $2,473 and " 6 figures or more".

It is a waste of time even bothering when that type of gap exists. Save your time for something more useful.

In fairness to auto appraisals though, any domain can sell for any price if the likelihood is low enough.

Can SarahSellsRealEstateInDallas.com sell for 25k? Sure, if the odds are 1 in many billions.

Too many people seem to take clear outlier sales and then think that is the value.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
"The GoDaddy software overvalues bad domains and undervalues great ones."

Agreed.

"Automated appraisals are meaningless when it comes to price, but there is a big gap between $2,473 and " 6 figures or more"."

Agreed. As far as my 6 figure ask. given the comps on Namebio for the domain I offered it was within reason as it was a crypto domain and a gambling one and a geo with both keywords in the two word .com having sold as each as a .com for 8 figure sales so my 6 figure as was very realistic and not a total hail mary pass.

I think this is a useful thread. Both end-users and domain investors can learn not to trust these appraisals. The only issue is how do we ensure all posted appraisals are indeed wrong? One has to know value well for such conclusions and the wrongfulness of the stated auto appraisals should be evident to most. But this is just a matter of uncovering the truth through a discussion I guess.

One good way I see is comparing recent publicly reported retail sales with automated appraisals. Here are the few:

Pay.ac - 20,000 SOLD
GD Appraisal - 1,046
Estibot - 1,400

Electrifier.com - 11,878 SOLD
GD Appraisal - 2,229
Estibot - 3,200

Protocol.xyz - 8,000 SOLD
GD Appraisal - 946
Estibot - 830

1of1.com - 85,000 SOLD
GD Appraisal - 5,357
Estibot - 640

a.company - 22,000 SOLD
GD Appraisal - 859
Estibot - unsupported

Good idea. I was off to bed at about 6 am when I thought of this thread. I did not think of that. Too much work for my lazy body.

Anyone who wants to do this feel free. I was just pulling off the top of my head domain names that I would assume Godaddy would appraise at a standard "Above $25,000" estimate.

The Covid19.com domain was a bit shocking with that below $100 estimate given that a search on Google for "covid 19" would give you over 4 billion results.

Even Coronavirus.com which is now owned by Godaddy via Frank Schilling acquisition and uniregistry.

You would think they would at least get it right for their own domain names they own but just goes to show how bad it is when their are shooting themselves in their own foot. and we all know how Godaddy games the system to their advantage.

Last edited:
•••
We can make a game out of this actually.

But I think I already won with my Covid19.com and Covid-19.com estimates at Below $100.

Can anyone beat mine?

Let's see if you can find one lower or as low as my two submissions but for sure should be valued way way more.

Can you think or find one? let's see.......?

here's another one. Iphone.com $23,903

https://www.godaddy.com/domain-valu...checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=iphone.com

But.............Iphones.com is above $25,000? odd.

GoldBullion.com $22,978
GoldSilver.com $23,390
SilverGold.com $12,425

FlyVirgin.com $2,994
Jacksonholerealestate.com $3,173 but it sold for $85,000 in 2015
TorontoRealEstate.com $16,006 but it sold for $140,000 in 2014
ParkCityRealestate.com $&,592 but it sold for $60,000 in 2011

Last edited:
•••
One of the most popular fails last year in december was:

GoBet *dot* com

Estibot appraisal = $7,100
Sale price = $935,000

Last edited:
•••
One of the most popular fails last year in december was:

GoBet *dot* com

Estibot appraisal = $7,100
Sale price = $935,000

Epic fail! For sure. lol

same with Bettingodds.com at Godaddy estimate at $20,786 which sold for over $3 million. Rick sale also.

•••
All of them always give the wrong estimate.

Agreed. and these incorrect appraisals and estimates if secretly used by potential buyers who believe these to be "LAW" because it is being provided by Godaddy or Esibot. Who are we the sellers to be able to discredit these false flawed estimates and appraisals of our domain names? We know what we invested in our domain names (I hope?) We use the data we find that isn't factored into the price of our domains in the form of sales comps.

Each domain is different and unique and show have it's own unique set of factors to gauge it's price. not godaddy not estibot and not even namebio.

I mean who knew Amazon.com was going to be the brand and url for the worlds biggest marketplace? In 1980 people would have just thought of Amazon.com as a domain for a South American travel agency or destination tourism website.

And what the heck is a Google?
or
Linkedin?
or
Bing?
or
Tesla?
or
Facebook?
or
Instagram?
or
Twitter?

my point is simple. Each and everyone one of use could be sitting on the next "Twitter.com" or "Linkedin.com" or "Facebook.com".

Case in point? I had registered Vaicoin.com when I was registering 3L + Coin.com domain names few years ago. Did not think anything of it. Could have sold it for just $300 for easy money but now? I started getting a bunch of inquiries for it over the last couple months. Did not think much of it. Just thought it was domain investors not enduser. Until I started to get high 4 figures as first offers. That's when I checked the online and found the link below. lol

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/vai/

Vai marketcap $187,149,091

Perhaps I'm overly confident and yes there are totally some fluke sales out there like my CoinMena.com and my InvestReit.com but it's actually amazing if a domainer can stay positive and confident with his or her pricing given how hard domaining really is.

So let's not kick a fellow domainer in the gut for dreaming big.

Let's be honest it's those amazing "hit the ball out the park" type sales that bring non-domainers into our neck of the woods to come see what all the fuss is about.

For every fluke sale we have an influx of lookie loos curious to know more about this industry that can turn a $8 investment into a $55,000 pay check. Feel Good Stories like this always attract people.

•••
lol nobody else wants to play?

itune.com Godaddy estimate $12,810 lol(y):xf.grin::banghead:

•••
Turo.com $12,973
VolksWagen.com $20,871 hmmm now above $25,000? okaaaaay!!!
Nissan.com $24,869? Wow! This one? not even above $25,000? Let me pull out my checkbook and make this offer to the current owner. Let's see if he'll accept? NOT!!!!!

Chrysler.com $23,129
RodeoDrive.com $10,439

Also what's with these last three digits at the end? Where or how do they even come up with this prices? I mean once the tool appraises the domain at above $20,000 or $10,000 why not just round it up or down? I mean the tool is really just "guesstimating" anyways right? It's probably just using a number randomizer for the last 3 digits! lol

Oh my! Liechtenstein.com? An actual country .com estimates for under $25,000? could it be so?

Liechtenstein.com $16,192
Estonia.com $21,550

BoraBora.com Wow! I did not know all I had to pay was $19,959 for the matching domain of the one of the most beautiful Geo's on the planet!

conrad-bora-bora-nui-aerial-2000x1200_53316.jpg

SouthAfrica.com only $22,034? WOW!

Guangdong.com exact match. Population of Guangdong? 115 million. Estimate for domain? $23,785 Amazing!

ummm SaudiArabia.com only $21,220? with all that oil? Really?

but somehow my country of the Philippines.com is estimated at above $25,000?? Yay!

Last edited:
•••
SaintPetersburg.com $17,414 Wow! okay!

It looks like anyone with under $25,000 cash can turn it today into millions with these appraisals.

I can only imagine how many of my inquiries have felt confident using Godaddy's tool to estimate the price of the domain I own that they want to get for cheap.

The fact is buying a domain for a buyer is personal to them. So when numbers as far as possible prices for your domain name are being thrown at them into their brain. once the see something like $2,473 it would take a forklift to pull it out of there once it's in there. It would basically be you versus a buyer who only has one motivation to get the domain they want for cheap and then now they have a big company like Godaddy backing up what they already have in the mind from the get go which is "this domain can't cost too much. it's just a domain name. Big deal. Why is this guy asking me for $50,000 for it? Wait a minute. Godaddy just told me I should only pay $2,473. Well now. That's what I'll pay. and that is that."

You what I think? The conspiracy theory in me feels this is just another way to make sure we don't get to sell our own domain names and life is made harder for us by Godaddy.

Because every domain not sold eventually might delete and get sold at expired auction by Godaddy. Although I do agree it also works against Godaddy when they are trying to sell their own domain names.

Case in point Coronavirus.com which they own and their tool has estimated incorrectly for it.

•••
CurrencyCrypto
estibot $0
Govalue: $8,661

It’s all BS; i laugh those who request domains’, with the one criteria being inflated “appraisal”, and a budget, usually, five figure range plus.

Think for yourselves! Use tools to help, it’s sad

Last edited:
•••
CurrencyCrypto
estibot $0
Govalue: $8,661

It’s all BS; i laugh at those who request domain with the one criteria being inflated “appraisal”

Think for yourselves! Use tools to help, it’s sad

agreed. I can only imagine how many sales fell thru because the buyer whoever they are feel empowered and emboldened by flawed data to stick to their guns and their low ball prices.

I think I lost this recent big sale because the guy basically would not budge from this "data" that they found online. Once they saw $2,473. They were "Stuck" in the head and felt my pricing although high was unreasonable.

that point is even say my domain was unreasonably high price FINE that's ok but at least submit a counter offer.

these people when they grasp at the Flawed Godaddy estimate of $2,473 they won't even meet you half way because they feel this is what they should pay because Godaddy says so.

I think we as domainers have sat back for too long to just let this go like this and have this monster running out there running amok and ruining our potential high sales.

To be clear. I don't "mind" these tools are out there but if they are to be out there affecting our buyers mentality then AT LEAST it should be spitting out correct info not flawed ones.

How hard would it be for an AI to extrapolate the correct estimate from all the data available as far as sales from Namebio or Namejet or Sedo? etc etc?

Perhaps the problem here is that these guys don't share info? And godaddy is only going off their own database?

•••
Back