IT.COM

showcase Showcase -Debate - Discuss .online vs. .com

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Anyone reading this attend NamesCon.online? First let me say I just love the domain industry that I knew absolutely nothing about until about three years ago. Prior to 2017 all I knew about were the very traditional .com, .net, .org, ,gov and .edu extensions (the letters just right of the .Dot). While it's pretty obvious that names like .edu (education), .net (internet), .org (organization), .gov (government) how many consumers or businesses actually know what .com (???) stands for or means?

To draw a comparison (very important), i was the guest speaker at my zoom "K" (Kiwanis) meeting yesterday, and even though we were discussing two very sensitive topics, "suicide and racism" I directed us to, "how many people know what the bold "K" we proudly where on our hats, polo shirts and tee shirts stands for? Ironically, and much to the dismay of my Kiwanis brothers and sisters, very few people in the world have ever heard of Kiwanis despite having over 600,000 members in 80 different countries worldwide. As an aside, but just as important our motto is, "Serving the Children of the World"

Again this was meant to draw a comparison to how little the rest of the world (outside the domain industry) knows or even cares what's right of the .dot:xf.rolleyes:

I know it's incensed many of the members here, but this is a subject that should and needs to be discussed. Why? Because we're literally running out of .com's, and those that are still available are so "overpriced" very few consumers or businesses can afford them. Why is that? It basically involves the old economic theory of "Supply and Demand". However, unlike typical "supply and demand" theory, there are many alternatives to .com, one of them being .online like you saw NamesCon.online using to promote their annual convention which is virtual aka online:xf.smile:

Despite being actively involved in the domain industry for the last three years, I never realized until recently that anything to the .right of the dot is moot. While I own over 900 .online domains that I've accumulated in the last 30 days, many of my .online domains make more sense than their "exact match" .left of the .dot. Here are a few of mine.....LetsDiscuss.online;

Whistleblower.online
QualityDomains.online
Reservations.online (serious dispute with Go Daddy and Radix over this one)
GunSafety.online
CaliforniaHomes.online

btw, you can "Discover" anything .online from Africa to Space. Anyone know where Com is:xf.eek:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My neighbor converted an unused bedroom into a granny flat for his mother in law who now lives there. Unknown to him she converted the flat into a pop up dental clinic that she operates during the day when no one else is home. She’s self taught, good with her hands but hot tempered. Today at my 6-month checkup we were discussing domain hoarding and ended up in a fist fight over how to pronounce k9ine. I said two syllables kā nīn with the last “ine” silent. She spit in my face and screamed three syllables kā nīn īn. Who’s right? Thank you.

•••
My neighbor converted an unused bedroom into a granny flat for his mother in law who now lives there. Unknown to him she converted the flat into a pop up dental clinic that she operates during the day when no one else is home. She’s self taught, good with her hands but hot tempered. Today at my 6-month checkup we were discussing domain hoarding and ended up in a fist fight over how to pronounce k9ine. I said two syllables kā nīn with the last “ine” silent. She spit in my face and screamed three syllables kā nīn īn. Who’s right? Thank you.
You ended up in a fistfight.online, and she's good with her hands:xf.smile: Thanks for the inspiration ecalc, i also picked up homedental.online and since you're still alive I was able to pick up knockdown.online. I don't know how you pronounce any of them....ask me if a give a chit.online:xf.wink:

Seriously, i did just buy those .online domains which are good names for any businesses. Knockdown.online will be a great name for my brother-in-laws demolition business. What do you think? Some people are slow to catch on, but my brother-in-law will love it.

•••
The destruction industry is tight knit, I think I met your brother in law back in 1966 at the Mac Meda convention in Lecerito, the details are fuzzy.

•••
The destruction industry is tight knit, I think I met your brother in law back in 1966 at the Mac Meda convention in Lecerito, the details are fuzzy.

In 1966 "I can't get No Satisfaction" by Mick the Rolling Stones. Details are fuzzy for me too:xf.wink:

SneakySmart.online
ThinkYoung.online
LivingOcean.online
DigitalChaos.online
DigitalPurse.online
OceanFresh.online
NewFrontier.online

Yet to register; DotComDied.online (Pall Bearer's; Brad and Frank and Joe and Nick)

Ecalc....do you want to be a Pall Bearer?

•••
After watching the Netflix special "Canine Intervention", this was inspired;

K9ine.online:xf.wink:, sure beats the h*ll out of .com.

I was also able to pick up WeGrill.online (GD is aksing 24K for wegrill.com) and Pumpit.online and Pumpit.com recently sold in a private sale for an outrageous amount of money:xf.eek:

Canine - sure
K9 - sure

K9ine - no

•••
Canine - sure
K9 - sure

K9ine - no
Thanks for commenting Brad, and just for you, Joe and and a few others, we just registered;

LeadPlaintiff.online:xf.wink: - note .online is the color of money

•••
Ecalc....do you want to be a Pall Bearer?
I’ll be there if it involves feats of strength and the airing of grievances. My good suit is at the cleaners but the guy who runs the place is a chain smoker so my clothes come back smelling like an ashtray, it should be ready sometime next week, let me know if anyone is allergic. Also I need six feet of clearance all around and tell the caterer no gluten or vegetables, thank you.

•••
I’ll be there if it involves feats of strength and the airing of grievances. My good suit is at the cleaners but the guy who runs the place is a chain smoker so my clothes come back smelling like an ashtray, it should be ready sometime next week, let me know if anyone is allergic. Also I need six feet of clearance all around and tell the caterer no gluten or vegetables, thank you.

Did you say "Ashtray":xf.wink:....that's what I was going to name my first born. Back OT....this is a nuday.online for domainers everywhere.

Check out the riskreward.online factor with these domains;

NewGreen.Online vs. NewGreen.com (Dan asking 250K)

NuGreen.Online vs. NuGreen.com (GD asking $59,999)

also Showcasing;

RiskyBusiness.online if anyone cares

Any questions:xf.smile:

•••
Time really flies when you're having fun:xf.smile: I've now reached a total of 1,810 .online domains which means I've spent a little over $2,100 for my portfolio. What's really interesting is, "if" they were .com's instead of .online Go Daddy would value them at 10.86M:xf.rolleyes:. If your eyes are glassing over just ask and I'll explain. Here are a few names I just registered yesterday;

BuyCandy.online
GoCruise.online
CraftShow.online
FrenchRecipes.online
DotComTakeOver.online
FearMe.online

Friends....the .online registry now has 2,043,000 DUM or domains under management, and it's headed for the #1 spot of all the new gTLD's.

Any questions? Observations? Critiques?

"That Name Guy" aka Whistleblower.online:xf.wink:

•••
•••
1,755,579 have been delegated in DNS.

So:xf.wink: You clearly know I'm on to something especially with a few of the tricks I have up my sleeve. Here's another domain I just picked up that you might find interesting;

ChaosLegal.com....note I also picked it up in .com when I found it was available, but I also own it in .online. My lawyer is very pleased.

Last edited:
•••
While I've already added another 15 .online domains to my portfolio this AM, i did add one that compared to the .com is laughable:xf.laugh:

Firstinning.online

Personally i think "FirstInning" is a great name for any business especially a startup. Remember, I'm a business guy first:xf.smile: long before I'm a domainer. Now checkout Firstinning.com. I won't tell you where it leads, but when you see for yourself, you'll understand my "laughable" comment.

Now I'm off to see if FirstDown.online happens to be available. Have a fantastic weekend(y)

•••
What do you know....FirstDown.Online was available, and Voila! When I discovered Go Daddy is asking 500K for FirstDown.com it inspired;

DestroyDotCom.online

Ironically Verisign is on my side(y)

•••
Hey Coach....looks like GD has TrackCoach.com for sale for a nominal $85,000 . Guess who owns TrackCoach.Online:xf.wink: Aren't you the domain coach? I did pick up BrandableNames.online since 90% of everything we do we do "online"

While we're still in the FirstInning.online vs. .com, exposing .com for the fraud that it is, is my number one priority....thank you Verisign(y)

Finally, another piece of the business model involves Chaos, thus we registered.online;

ChaosGroup
ChaosLegal
ChaosDigital
DigitalChaos
ChaosDesign

Enjoy!

•••
I intended to stop registering .online domains when I reached 2000 a few days ago, but since a check for $1,400 arrived yesterday it appears I can pick up another 1,000 domains. Here are a few;

DomainLicensing.online
BrandLicensing.online
NameLicensing.online

Who knew I could 'License' domains:xf.rolleyes:.....it adds a new twist.

•••
Hey Coach and Peak...thanks for all your help;

from Brand Buckets new listing;

MeetinRequest.online:xf.wink:

I picked up a few more from BB as I have from you. Oh, I also picked up Gouging.online for which this industry is so famous......thank you Verisign(y)

Last edited:
•••
Showcasing;

StopHate.online
and
StoptheGreed.online

•••
Showcasing some of my .online domains;

DomainOutlet.online
DomainCoach.online
ReitCapital.online
LogoSoftware.online
JobConsultant.online
GolfOutlet.online - GD is asking $62,000 for GolfOutlet.com that doesn't make much sense if you're selling golf equipment online:xf.rolleyes:
tvOutlet.online
LampOutlet.online
LoveMatters.online

While all of this is very much OT, i encourage you to take a look at the .online new gTLD that's growing at an even faster pace than the old and tired .com.

Last edited:
•••
Check6.online
Checksix.online
SilverDollar.online
AdventureGroup.online
TrueUp.online
GoRight.online
LegalOpinion.online
BetterHearing.online
AskaNurse.online
AskaPhysicain.online

Where do you get your legal opinions:xf.wink:

•••
"I've now reached a total of 1,810 .online domains which means I've spent a little over $2,100 for my portfolio. What's really interesting is, "if" they were .com's instead of .online Go Daddy would value them at 10.86M"

Quite unbelieve that after all this time you are quoting GD Appraisals as a comparison / evaluation

I sincerely hope people who are brand new to Namepros & the industry understand this is not the way to value domains

Good luck with with all these .online domains Rich - would be great if you can share a sale or 2 down the line to turn us "doubters into believers" (I'm a Liverpool fan so could not resist)........

Last edited:
•••
"I've now reached a total of 1,810 .online domains which means I've spent a little over $2,100 for my portfolio. What's really interesting is, "if" they were .com's instead of .online Go Daddy would value them at 10.86M"

Quite unbelieve that after all this time you are quoting GD Appraisals as a comparison / evaluation

I sincerely hope people who are brand new to Namepros & the industry understand this is not the way to value domains

Good luck with with all these .online domains Rich - would be great if you can share a sale or 2 down the line to turn us "doubters into believers" (I'm a Liverpool fan so could not resist)........
Nick....it really doesn't matter what another domainer thinks about GD appraisals. I'm only using them to show end users how much industry leader Go Daddy values them for. In that regard it's a big deal to me to show an end user that Go Daddy values LegalOpinion.com at $8,325, and I own LegalOpinion.online. Regardless of what you think you know Nick, my lawyer who is an immediate past President of the Virginia State Bar Association (over 3,000 lawyers), and one of the most aggressive litigators in Virginia understands the potential behind the name "Legal Opinion(s) Online".

We needn't argue Nick. you're a domain guy and I'm a marketing guy and neither the two will ever agree:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
@NickB - Yes it was preposterous of you to think that domaining and marketing would go together. Give your head a shake.

•••
Nick....it really doesn't matter what another domainer thinks about GD appraisals. I'm only using them to show end users how much industry leader Go Daddy values them for. In that regard it's a big deal to me to show an end user that Go Daddy values LegalOpinion.com at $8,325, and I own LegalOpinion.online. Regardless of what you think you know Nick, my lawyer who is an immediate past President of the Virginia State Bar Association (over 3,000 lawyers), and one of the most aggressive litigators in Virginia understands the potential behind the name "Legal Opinion(s) Online".

We needn't argue Nick. you're a domain guy and I'm a marketing guy and neither the two will ever agree:xf.wink:
I don't give 2 sh**s what some so called "aggressive litigator" thinks 🙂

So based on your thought processes you are going to be selling that legal opions domain for less than $100 as that what GD values it at?

I know sales is supposed to be all about the sizzle and not the steak.....which you do rather well 😉......But a company sees you pedaling a domain valued under 100 bucks while your comparing it to an 8k one........most companies, people etc will want the steak and let you carry on sizzling......your going to need a big frying pan for all these .onlines 😁😄

Last edited:
•••
I am amazed that some people can be in a field for years and seem to have learned so little.

I guess that comes with the territory when you think you know it all and are not willing to learn...You expect to be a teacher in a field you have really not done much in. O_o

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am amazed that some people can be in a field for years and seem to have learned so little.

I guess that comes with the territory when you think you know it all and are not willing to learn...You expect to be a teacher in a field you have really not done much in. O_o

Brad
Lol.....i see we have the usual suspects attempting to defend Verisign's accurate description of the secondary market;

"But there is also an unregulated secondary market – led by domain speculators – hiding in plain sight. There, some speculators buy domain names at regulated low prices, then sell them at a far higher price. This secondary market is as old as the domain name system itself. However, since the wholesale price cap was imposed on .com in 2012, the secondary market has expanded in ways that exploit consumers. Look at the website HugeDomains.com – owned by registrar TurnCommerce – where nearly four million .com domain names are warehoused and offered for sale: • None are offered below $195, and 90 percent of their names are priced above $1,000. • The average price is roughly $2,500 per domain – a markup of more than thirty thousand percent (30,000%) over the regulated wholesale price of $7.85. o That’s a profit margin of over 99 percent on each sale
o At these prices, the value of the HugeDomains’ inventory is nearly $10 billion • Many of HugeDomains’ names have incredibly high price tags. Here are a few examples from their website, as of November 1, 2018: o NeighborhoodWatch.com for $1.25 million o Margin.com is $3.5 million o Glossary.com is offered at $7.5 million o Even the fluff in their inventory isn’t cheap – Fluff.com is listed at $325,000 And yet, TurnCommerce has been actively lobbying our government to freeze the wholesale price of .com domain names. When they can buy .com names at capped wholesale prices, and mark them up to $2,500, $50,000, $1 million, or even $7 million, does anyone believe they are lobbying for continued price caps in order to protect consumers? Even traditional registrars like GoDaddy have become big players in the secondary market and hold large portfolios of domain names for resale. GoDaddy’s public filings show it has spent over $100 million buying domain names for resale purposes. GoDaddy holds these domain names and then offers them to consumers and small businesses at prices that are often thousands of times the wholesale price. There’s nothing in GoDaddy’s public filings about its profits from this practice, but GoDaddy claims its domain name portfolio is worth $2.5 billion.
TurnCommerce and GoDaddy are not the only ones profiting from .com price caps. Domain speculation, or “domain scalping,” as some call it, has become a highly profitable industry unto itself. In fact, one of the top domain name speculators in this market reports a net worth of $500 million. These speculators even have their own lobbying group, the Internet Commerce Association (ICA), where TurnCommerce and GoDaddy are members via their subsidiaries NameBright and Afternic. Ironically, in this speculators’ market, the price control on .com domain names serves only to reduce the cost of domain names bought by these speculators. Domain speculator Frank Schilling stated that the .com price cap “…has given the [domain speculation] industry a shot in the arm,” in a Jan. 2017 podcast interview. Flipping domain names or warehousing them to create scarcity adds nothing to the industry and merely allows those engaged in this questionable practice to enrich themselves at the expense of consumers and businesses. So how large is this market? The answer may shock you. Verisign estimates that over $1 billion in annual secondary-market sales of .com domain names can be documented through publicly available data. Several domain speculators believe the size of the total market is $2-3 billion a year. Perhaps $1.5 billion is closer to the actual number, which is about equal to the total annual pre-tax domain name revenue of all ICANN registry services providers combined, including Verisign.
Recently, some who profit most from the unregulated secondary domain market have been lobbying our government to freeze .com wholesale prices. They say their goal is to protect small businesses and consumers. But their business models and domain resale prices show that their real goal is to preserve the profits they earn from .com price caps. In fact, the real opportunity for consumer savings would come from reducing or eliminating the more than $1 billion per year in scalping fees that businesses and consumers pay today. The bottom line is this: Since our government continues to regulate .com prices, then we should make sure that price regulation actually benefits consumers, instead of contributing over a billion dollars to domain speculators every year. How can we ensure that the intended benefits of the .com price caps actually accrue to consumers? Stay tuned – that question will be tackled in my next blog post, where I’ll explore this question with industry experts. You’ll be surprised at how simple and effective some of the answers will be. SHARE"

JEANNIE MCPHERSON Director of Product Management, Social Media and Mobile Applications. Jeannie McPherson is Director of Product Management for Verisign’s social media and mobile initiatives. An avid social media and domain name enthusiast, Jeannie is responsible for managing the development and implementation of products and campaigns designed to illustrate the value of domain name registration for use with social media and mobile.

Brad and friends, when I arrived on the domain scene over three years ago I knew this industry was seriously screwed up, but it wasn't until Verisign (stock symbol VRSN) and sole source monopoly for the .com extension wrote this scathing exposé that my suspicions were confirmed:xf.smile: Then when the likes of Go Daddy stole a domain that I'd purchased from them and Radix a little over a month ago, and then turned around and tried to sell it back to me for $500,000, that was all the evidence I needed(y)

by,

Whistleblower.online:xf.rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back