Dynadot

status-done Show signatures on mobile devices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Note from moderator: The original title of this thread was, "Does anyone see my signature?" It was changed when this thread was moved to the Suggestions and Feedback section.

Someone DM'ed me as they don't see my signature.

I can see it myself but the other user didn't.

Therefore I just got in with another browser and I don't see any signature. But I also don't see any other signatures.

Do you see your own, and other users'? What's going on?

Sorry I don't know exactly where to post this, looked for another forum section but couldn't find one suitable.

Edit: I logged out and it doesn't show. But anyway, what's the point of having a signature if you're the only one seeing it?

My paid Gold plan says: Signature (4 lines; unlimited links; 260 characters)

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hopefully there is a fix though.

This is quite limited experience since most of us use phones and it ain't working on many.

As a developer, I find it hard to believe that nowadays you have processing issues of displaying an inline small text snippet.

It's rather a space thing to fit but that can be adjusted, pretty sure of that.

Thanks in advance for looking into this.

•••
What is considered a small screen size
At the moment, any viewport less than 480 normalized pixels wide (accounting for PPI scaling). If you turn your iPhone SE sideways with default scaling, you'll see signatures, for example. This means most phones won't see signatures in portrait mode.

It's not for speed; it's just to minimize the amount of scrolling necessary on narrow viewports. As far as I can tell, this is XenForo's doing, not something we added. I'm not sure whether we'd consider it desirable behavior; I'll look into that.

Last edited:
•••
At the moment, any viewport less than 480 normalized pixels wide (accounting for PPI scaling). If you turn your iPhone SE sideways with default scaling, you'll see signatures, for example. This means most phones won't see signatures in portrait mode.

It's not for speed; it's just to minimize the amount of scrolling necessary on narrow viewports. As far as I can tell, this is XenForo's doing, not something we added. I'm not sure whether we'd consider it desirable behavior; I'll look into that.
Thanks for the explanation Paul. The thing is I never look at my phone sideways, only in portrait mode, and I believe most people don't, when scrolling. I think it is very important to have the signature showing even on small screens (< 480 px) It would be great if you can look into it, because lots of people depend on the signature for business. Please keep us posted.

•••
It would be great if you can look into it, because lots of people depend on the signature for business. Please keep us posted.
I've confirmed that it is intentional.

•••
I've confirmed that it is intentional.

That is not good, because most people do not use phones bigger than 480 px width in portrait mode. Basically we pay for something that does not show. Because most people are on mobiles scrolling in portrait mode, and not on iPads or computers/laptops. There must be a solution.
screen.png

screen2.png

Source: https://worship.agency/mobile-screen-sizes-for-2022-based-on-data-from-2021

Last edited:
•••
That is not good, because most people do not use a phones bigger than 480 px width in portrait mode.
Right; it isn't intended to display on most phones.

•••
Someone DM'ed me as they don't see my signature.

I can see it myself but the other user didn't.

Therefore I just got in with another browser and I don't see any signature. But I also don't see any other signatures.

Do you see your own, and other users'? What's going on?

Sorry I don't know exactly where to post this, looked for another forum section but couldn't find one suitable.

Edit: I logged out and it doesn't show. But anyway, what's the point of having a signature if you're the only one seeing it?

My paid Gold plan says: Signature (4 lines; unlimited links; 260 characters)
i'm using chrome and i dont see it rn

•••
Because most people are on mobiles scrolling in portrait mode, and not on iPads or computers/laptops.
That's not true on NamePros.

•••
•••
That's not true on NamePros.
i think it's true everywhere even here (im rn in pc but i use mobile more than pc in namepros)

•••
•••
@twiki doesn't have a signature right now.

According to analytics, it's not true on NamePros. Desktop usage still holds the majority by a significant margin.
wait you have access to namepros analytics ? i guess it's an admin thing right?

•••
According to analytics, it's not true on NamePros. Desktop usage still holds the majority by a significant margin.
What are the statistics/analytics for namepros? And what is the trend? Aren't more and more people going on mobiles now-a-days? I use both my pc and mobile for namepros. The point is, all mobile users are potential clients who won't see the signature, because most phones have a small viewport and namepros business account payers are not aware that the signature does not show on most mobiles.

Last edited:
•••
What are the statistics? And what is the trend?
It depends how we go about measuring it (e.g., sessions vs. page views, Google Analytics vs. access logs, different criteria for filtering out non-human traffic). Very roughly, Google Analytics claims about 50% desktop/laptop in 2020, 70% in 2021, and 85% in 2022. It's difficult to filter out intelligent automated traffic (e.g., headless Chromium) without also biasing toward mobile, and I generally take Google Analytics with a grain of salt, but that's the trend according to Google.

•••
It depends how we go about measuring it (e.g., sessions vs. page views, Google Analytics vs. access logs, different criteria for filtering out non-human traffic). Very roughly, Google Analytics claims about 50% desktop/laptop in 2020, 70% in 2021, and 85% in 2022. It's difficult to filter out intelligent automated traffic (e.g., headless Chromium) without also biasing toward mobile, and I generally take Google Analytics with a grain of salt, but that's the trend according to Google.
It's probably more difficult for most of us to type fluently and fast on the phone.

However, we use that for browsing NP while we're on the move.

I think signatures are vital for that.

Also, I almost never use the phone in landscape mode. Have to scroll too much. So for me, not having the signature visible is a problem. (how about making it smallest, 11 px or whaterver on portrait/ mobile?)

P.S. Indeed at this time I don't have a signature

•••
I'm going to move this to the suggestions forum, as we're going to consider whether it makes sense to change this behavior.

•••
I'm going to move this to the suggestions forum, as we're going to consider whether it makes sense to change this behavior.
Any update? It makes sense to your clients who pay for the gold membership to get more links to resolve in their signature for auctions etc. so we gain more eyeballs which equals more money.

•••
Signatures are now accessible on mobile: Learn more.

Enjoy!

•••
I logged out and it doesn't show.
We also added this functionality for guests, but we currently have decided to disable it for the following reasons:

Hiding it for guests is a common practice so that search engines only index content relevant to the topic, to dissuade link-building spammers from flooding the forums with low-quality content to spread their signature for SEO/promotion, etc.

We may enable it in the future.

•••
•••
Signatures are now accessible on mobile: Learn more.

Enjoy!
After checking I kinda got dissapointed, was hoping for it to show automatically just like on a browser, without needing to click on "show signature".... but still one step towards the good, cheers.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back