IT.COM

showcase Show me your "Cloud" domain names.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I think another domain trend has started and want to see whats being registered.

I have a few

MusicCloud (me)
MusicCloud (info)
MusicaNube (com)
MusicaDeNube (com)"Music Cloud- in Spanish"
NubeDeMusica (com)
NubeMusica (com)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its not hype when it's being pushed and promoted by Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, HP etc...even Google are jumping on the bandwagon I believe

I have had on average 2-3 offers a week on my Cloud names and had a couple of decent sales as well (a $7,000 sale a couple of months ago)

Hype the technology vs Hype the domain name.
It's a fine line. I have a couple of cloud names that I don't believe have any value in retrospect. lol.

Cloud is mostly hype - much of the technology has been around for years.. and much of what is touted as "cloud" isn't really technically cloud. It's what happens when IT works hard to re-justify itself to cost conscious CIOs.

Much of the cloud is just a legitimate way to oversell - any IT department that runs in a fire and forget mode gets shot in the butt eventually.

Still a lot of issues to work out once you start taking a serious look at it from an Enterprise perspective. When you start getting into the self-hosted cloud model you have to wonder though... new paradigm or old paradigm with some hardware and software advances?

Who killed the mainframe? No one. They just hid them in the clouds.

•••
Hype the technology vs Hype the domain name.
It's a fine line. I have a couple of cloud names that I don't believe have any value in retrospect. lol.

Cloud is mostly hype - much of the technology has been around for years.. and much of what is touted as "cloud" isn't really technically cloud. It's what happens when IT works hard to re-justify itself to cost conscious CIOs.

Much of the cloud is just a legitimate way to oversell - any IT department that runs in a fire and forget mode gets shot in the butt eventually.

Still a lot of issues to work out once you start taking a serious look at it from an Enterprise perspective. When you start getting into the self-hosted cloud model you have to wonder though... new paradigm or old paradigm with some hardware and software advances?

ok lets wait and see, save this thread and come back in 2 years and tell me its still just hype.

Its may be hype but the technology is being adopted by a lot of companies, big corps, as well as small and medium sized businesses. Any tech that will save companies money (reducing hardeware costs etc) will always be adopted.

•••
Its may be hype but the technology is being adopted by a lot of companies, big corps, as well as small and medium sized businesses. Any tech that will save companies money (reducing hardeware costs etc) will always be adopted.

It is hype and it is backed my marketing dollars. We have SaaS, we have PaaS, we have IaaS (still waiting for the SaaP to come).

Many existed before but without the level of sophistication and evolution that has come with reduced storage / increased bandwidth / increased computation power.

A lot of what has been done for years has been updated slightly and rebranded. There's not a lot of innovation.

Hosting with Backup is now Cloud
Service with Failover is now Cloud
Service APIs are now Cloud
Online Storage is Cloud
Client Server is now Cloud
A Web App is now Cloud

Cloud is a nebulous term that means everything and nothing. The underlying technology in a lot of cases is vastly improved and innovating. The underlying technology in a lot of cases is nothing special, old, and as poorly architected as ever.

There is no standards body (which is good) and there is no standard definition (which is great for hype marketing).

I keep reading that the almighty cloud provides 100% up time, full scalability, no-worry-computing. Not in my lifetime, not in your lifetime, not in anyone's lifetime.

Find the right providers, the right innovators and the right architects and "cloud" computing is a fundamental shift in the way IT is run. It's there, no doubt. It's growing, no doubt... but I think as we move forward we'll start getting new names for specific implementations/architectures because the "cloud" is "where a miracle occurs" and no CIO can use that as a defense when something happens.

That said - Cloud will retain its purpose as a great marketing / domain name :)

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Any tech that will save companies money (reducing hardeware costs etc) will always be adopted.

Sooner or later the reality will hit that economies are like buildings. Remove the supporting wall and it crumbles.

"People" cost more than hardware because we have "disposable peoples" creating those in foreign lands.

We're playing poker and a few hold all the chips and are sitting out. Not much of a fun game.

•••
I appreciate your comments Defaultuser, however..

It doesn't really matter what the average person in the street thinks or believes, or whether you go into the technical details of what it is and how it works, if you look at technology in the past, it will always do well if pushed and promoted by large companies.

That is why Cloud Computing has been all the talk at all big tech shows and expos (CES etc) – Create some Google Alerts for yourself on Cloud Computing and read some of the articles and see who they are coming from? These are not your average people discussing it and writing about it..

Not much of a fun game.

It’s a fun game for me as I am making money from it

Anyway, too much time wasted here, I won’t discuss it anymore; we will just wait and see…

•••
A lot of people don't really understand cloud would think cloud being nothing new. This is similar to the situation a lot of people don't think facebook is anything new, because they always think they can email to people to communicate the old way.

It is hype and it is backed my marketing dollars. We have SaaS, we have PaaS, we have IaaS (still waiting for the SaaP to come).

Many existed before but without the level of sophistication and evolution that has come with reduced storage / increased bandwidth / increased computation power.

A lot of what has been done for years has been updated slightly and rebranded. There's not a lot of innovation.

Online Storage is Cloud
A Web App is now Cloud

Cloud is a nebulous term that means everything and nothing. The underlying technology in a lot of cases is vastly improved and innovating. The underlying technology in a lot of cases is nothing special, old, and as poorly architected as ever.

There is no standards body (which is good) and there is no standard definition (which is great for hype marketing).

I keep reading that the almighty cloud provides 100% up time, full scalability, no-worry-computing. Not in my lifetime, not in your lifetime, not in anyone's lifetime.

Find the right providers, the right innovators and the right architects and "cloud" computing is a fundamental shift in the way IT is run. It's there, no doubt. It's growing, no doubt... but I think as we move forward we'll start getting new names for specific implementations/architectures because the "cloud" is "where a miracle occurs" and no CIO can use that as a defense when something happens.

That said - Cloud will retain its purpose as a great marketing / domain name :)

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Sooner or later the reality will hit that economies are like buildings. Remove the supporting wall and it crumbles.

"People" cost more than hardware because we have "disposable peoples" creating those in foreign lands.

We're playing poker and a few hold all the chips and are sitting out. Not much of a fun game.

•••
One simple thing to understand:

All this was there, but a name was missing that tied all of it together, its now the "Cloud"

And as you know all of what you wrote (and I agree with most of it), you must know... Name Sells!

Online Storage is Cloud
A Web App is now Cloud

That said - Cloud will retain its purpose as a great marketing / domain name

•••
I appreciate your comments Defaultuser, however..

It doesn't really matter what the average person in the street thinks or believes, or whether you go into the technical details of what it is and how it works, if you look at technology in the past, it will always do well if pushed and promoted by large companies.

Doesn't matter what someone thinks or believes.
No details regarding what it is.
Pushed or promoted.

That's my definition of hype.

It’s a fun game for me as I am making money from it

Anyway, too much time wasted here, I won’t discuss it anymore; we will just wait and see…
It's all in a name and hype sells. Cloud is the name for the hype. Cloud will remain. It's not going anywhere.. it will fragment eventually and be less talked about but the branding in CLOUD will stay. No company will change their identity.

The no fun was more a comment on society and economy in general and where initiatives are taking us - not about domaining :)

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

One simple thing to understand:

All this was there, but a name was missing that tied all of it together, its now the "Cloud"

And as you know all of what you wrote (and I agree with most of it), you must know... Name Sells!

Yes. I agree with this :) The NAME will long outlive the hype, imho. The truly non innovators will disappear.. but underneath the layers there are real fundamental changes.

They chose Cloud computing as the name. I prefer diffuse computing but that's personal choice and a far too geeky name to mean anything to anyone. Most people don't even know what diffusion is. lol.

Last post from me - this is *supposed* to be about showing off cloud names - and I'm ruining it for everyone :)

•••
Its not hype when it's being pushed and promoted by Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, HP etc...even Google are jumping on the bandwagon I believe
Like... 3D ? :) Hot trend but does not really materializes in massive sales of related domain names.

I have had on average 2-3 offers a week on my Cloud names and had a couple of decent sales as well (a $7,000 sale a couple of months ago)
There is a market for the good, brandable, meaningful domains, even in speculative trends. But there are only so many domains that are valuable.
If you look at this thread alone, it is clear the vast majority of domains have zero chance of selling.

•••
•••
I just picked up something interesting.

CloudNeutrality.com

XD lol

•••

Well said Krossat, it may have been around for a while but it now has a name and thats what matters!

The no fun was more a comment on society and economy in general and where initiatives are taking us - not about domaining

I did realize that, just emphasizing how much I'm enjoying it :):)

•••
Freemium Cloud com :blink:

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

some of our dot com's

beautycloud
blogcloud
cannabiscloud
catcloud
catholiccloud
climatecloud
dnacloud
dubaicloud
foodcloud
gaycloud
cloudpass
godcloud
holidaycloud
hollywoodcloud
insurancecloud
moneycloud
mooncloud
photographycloud
rockcloud
propertycloud
sanfranciscocloud
skicloud
travelclouds
winecloud
cloudwebdesign
cloudcheck
cloudpass

Add

Alaska Cloud
Hawaii Cloud
Nevada Cloud
Nude Cloud

and the only NON .com cloud

Photo Cloud Net

•••

Nice one.

Clouds.tv
Cloud1.tv
Cloudtech.tv/Cloudtechnology.tv
Privateclouds.tv

•••
Nice cloud sales from DNJournal

Clouds.me
$21,600
Sedo

CloudOperations.com
$3,572
Sedo

CloudCore.eu
$1,440
Sedo

VirtualCloud.org
$1,000
Sedo

•••
•••
Only a handful - CloudResellers.com, CloudInitiatives.com and CloudHosting.us are the best I think.

•••
Time to hold or start entertaining these offers?

•••
Thanks for the link gilescoley.Thats very positive news for the "cloud" names. Will this increase sales of good "cloud" names across the board?

For those experienced domainers who care to weigh in, what constitutes a good cloud name, in your opinion? After viewing the names throughout this thread, I am either way off base with mine, or I am not seeing the bigger picture with regard to the future of cloud. I have tried to keep my cloud names general, relevant and within the niche, but have to admit, some of the names being posted in this thread border on the ridiculous, IMO.

Your thoughts?

-Regards

•••
Time to hold or start entertaining these offers?

I would start entertaining good offers. With cloud.com acquisition, Citrix will change the game and other companies in the industry will look to integrate their products with cloud... as vmware also announced its vSphere 5 and comprehensive cloud infrastructure suite today. Vmware, with its footing firm in virtualization (technology behind the its own cloud and others), will use that technology to keep its pace well ahead of others, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
My problem right now is figuring out what is a "good" offer for my domain. I have received a few offers in the low xxx range that I have passed up hoping for something better. It looks like Sedo would probably be best place to receive these offers and push to auction, but I am getting them Via email and these people don't want to use Sedo, just buy flat out. I am guessing they are resellers.

•••
Amazon.com Buys CloudPlayer.com

Citrix buys Cloud.com for $200 million (sorry..forgot you cant add a link)

•••
A couple more cloud sales

CloudVertical.com
$1,100

Cloudalizer.com
$1,700

•••
•••
cloudz (.) me
cloud-de (.) de

•••
Amazon.com Buys CloudPlayer.com

Citrix buys Cloud.com for $200 million (sorry..forgot you cant add a link)

Holy Carp!!!

So what is Property,Insurance,Beauty or Food Cloud worth? :o

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back