Dynadot

advice Should your domain website name be made private?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was setting up a simple one page website(like a landing page) for my domains and I was wondering if the main domain should be private registration or not?

thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's completely up to you. I don't think it's a horrible idea to put that one under privacy, but I wouldn't say it's required or anything. Are you creating sub-domains or folders for each of your domains or something? Are these all linking back to this "main" domain?

•••
It's completely up to you. I don't think it's a horrible idea to put that one under privacy, but I wouldn't say it's required or anything. Are you creating sub-domains or folders for each of your domains or something? Are these all linking back to this "main" domain?
They are all forwarded to main domain.. no masking

•••
They are all forwarded to main domain.. no masking

Then personally I would probably want to use privacy. Just transfer the name to NameSilo or Internet.bs and you'll have free privacy plus another years registration. That comes out to around the same price as whois privacy at some registrars, lol.

•••
Can't see the point , anyone can find your identity by whoising one of your domains ..

•••
Can't see the point , anyone can find your identity by whoising one of your domains ..
You're right...but it's not so much about hiding..just wondering if it looks more professional...
Registrant Name: Inventory Managaement
Registrant Organization: Buydomains.com

The above whois...says the registrant is inventory management...Is that the privacy company or did they simply removed their real name and put that?

•••
Providing you've got contact information up on your site, what does it matter? If an end user knows enough to check whois, I wonder if they might be nervous about privacy?

•••
Providing you've got contact information up on your site, what does it matter? If an end user knows enough to check whois, I wonder if they might be nervous about privacy?
I currently have have a simple landing page here.
It has business email and a simple contact form.. I saw a company used something just as simple and they have one of the top sales this month. I do plan to have a good website once I make some sales...

People can simply know the brand... they don't need to know who owns the brand. I personally don't know the owners of yahoo,google, amazon etc...Can't the registrant be private or the company name?

•••
Our ideal buyers are end users and they'll find us at our domains before they try whois… if they even know what that is, right? Maybe I'm not following, but why make it any harder for a potential customer to find you? By the way your lander positioning is ok on our desktops, but you'll want to optimize for mobile…

•••
If you are running an online business, why would you hide it? Personally, I would never do that.
Most people may think it is professional, but for me it is just an old saying. I want more customers to find my business. Even if a registrar is giving me free privacy, I won't use it.

•••
Our ideal buyers are end users and they'll find us at our domains before they try whois… if they even know what that is, right? Maybe I'm not following, but why make it any harder for a potential customer to find you? By the way your lander positioning is ok on our desktops, but you'll want to optimize for mobile…
I'll leave it without privacy for now.
I'm using a free Godaddy website builder template so I'm not sure how much optimizing i can do?

Apart from that, do you think the presentation is good?

•••
We code everything so do not know what any website builders can do. What we DO know is that our network overseas are online almost exclusively using their phones so have adjusted accordingly. Personally I am forever tweaking our "look and feel" so not really the best to ask about presentation, but it never hurts to put up a telephone number…

•••
If you are running an online business, why would you hide it?

Because, right or wrong, a lot of people feel entitled to the domain they want. If you are selling shirts online, nobody is going to say "That shirt is mine, give it to me or I will sue you, hack you, or come visit your house." Sometimes it's nice to have that extra layer of protection from the nutcases who feel you are a shark.

•••
Because, right or wrong, a lot of people feel entitled to the domain they want. If you are selling shirts online, nobody is going to say "That shirt is mine, give it to me or I will sue you, hack you, or come visit your house." Sometimes it's nice to have that extra layer of protection from the nutcases who feel you are a shark.
This isn't true in most cases unless you have a TM domain or you are hiding a illegitimate business under privacy. Although I agree having a privacy protection saves your time from various telemarketers, spammers, web hosting service providers and others, one should also think that showing a proper address in whois makes your business trustworthy.

If you are running a legitimate online business, you do not have to hide it under privacy. It is also one of the ranking factor in Google search.

•••
This isn't true in most cases unless you have a TM domain or you are hiding a illegitimate business under privacy.

I wish that were true, but avoiding TM domains doesn't protect you from that stuff. Privacy won't offer any protection at all if you are using other's TMs. But it is often enough to dissuade the lone nutter who thinks he is entitled to a domain, and there are a fair few of those.

•••
if you register multiple domain with your id you someone easily identify using whois.

•••
If you want your site looks as a legit business, you never hide your whois info. Legit businesses never hide it. Of course 95% of all people have no idea what is this at all and where and why to check it, but if someone goes to look and find it's private - a lot of suspicions arise.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back