IT.COM

poll Should survival studies be a legal requirement?

NameSilo
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Should basic survival skills be a legally required part of the national educational curriculum in your country? Basic survival skills include building a camp, starting a fire, choosing edible wild foods, purifying water, predicting the weather and map reading.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It sure wouldn’t be a bad idea IMO , it would serve a better a purpose than say Study Hall .

•••
Employers should read and act upon this guidance from OSHA. How to Plan for Workplace Emergencies and Evacuations U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration OSHA 3088 2001 (Revised) How to Plan for Workplace Emergencies and Evacuations https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/publications/osha3088.pdf. Covers Floods, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Fires, Toxic gas releases, Chemical spills, Radiological accidents, Explosions, Civil disturbances, and Workplace violence resulting in bodily harm and trauma.

Last edited:
•••
Let the Darwin Theory apply to those that don't care. Don't go anywhere without or where to source 10L a day in clean water. Sure you can get by with less but planning is the key to survival.

Last edited:
•••
Let the Darwin Theory apply to those that don't care. Don't go anywhere without or where to source 10L a day in clean water.
10L is heavy, how do you carry it? Learn how to find/prep clean water. In reality, I wonder how many would ever use such skills. Nowadays probably better to have compulsory consumerism studies.

•••
People driving into deserts and remote areas is the cause in general as that is how most people end up in situation. It is from point of not being able to source water not just carry around extra 10kg for sake of it.

Last edited:
•••
I suppose it depends on the environment, the conditions and/or planned survival scenario, but no, I don't think it ought to be a legal requirement. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
I think conscription is a better idea.

•••
•••
•••
Not a bad idea actually.

•••
I was fortunate to have been in the old Boy Scouts of America.... Eagle Scout !!
Camping, Canoeing... learning about surviving in the wilderness etc...
That was a GREAT learning experience..

And a little bit of Street Smarts..... would help in today world.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back