Dynadot

Should I tell them their .ca is about to drop?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
So I inquired about a VERY good .ca name recently. I emailed the Whois email and got an automated response. After a day, I get a real person telling me that their domain is not for sale. Fair enough.

Here's the thing, this .ca is in redemption period and has been since "2016/05/05". I am quite certain that they are unaware of this.

They were nice to me about it when responding to my email so being the nice guy that I am, I want to let them know to renew it. And to be honest, this name will EASILY fetch 4 figures (perhaps even 5) if it goes to auction so that is not in my current budget.

Should I tell them to renew this name or "put my name into the hat" for when it goes to auction and hope for the best?

Cheers!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do they actually use the name, or are they just holding?

According to archive, it was parked at Sedo. I was surprised by that.
I really really want to know what the name is now...:xf.frown:.

I will let everyone know soon enough. :)

Being a fairly honest person myself, I would tell them about their domain.

Domainers it seems all say, no.....
Geesh....

Decency and honesty in the world of domaining is really sorely needed!

I agree and that is partly one of the reasons I told them that the name is expiring. The other part of course is that I feel I have a much better chance at it this way.

•••
Being a fairly honest person myself, I would tell them about their domain.

Domainers it seems all say, no.....
Geesh....

Decency and honesty in the world of domaining is really sorely needed!
I don't know about that in this thread @iowadawg, a quick read through here suggests otherwise?

•••
If the website resolves to their site it is not in redemption. We have learned that our .CA sites will continue to resolve to our servers and even eMail will work in expired status. But not in redemption.

The URL is not resolving to anything. I just find it really strange that it's been in redemption for so long.

•••
If you've offered them $3k, they haven't responded, their webmaster needs to be fired. Snap up the name... You've surpassed ethics..... Take it, at this point they don't deserve it....

•••
You can direct a camel to a pond, if he dies of dehydration, fuck it, he wasn't worth society's tax dollars.....

Last edited:
•••
•••
I've always been a decent and nice person with domain advice. I've honestly given away too much over the years to people who don't respect my time and knowledge. Sometimes they are outright hostile. They feel "entitled" to a domain name. Same with SEO.

•••
The URL is not resolving to anything. I just find it really strange that it's been in redemption for so long.
Our primary registrar is eNom so YMMV:
We chose some time ago to let a lot of our .net domains drop if we had the .com, and most seemed to break the norm regarding expected time frames from expiry to pending delete. We can only guess at the reason(s) but likely because the name would / could be considered better than average. This might make sense in the case of the .CA you're after…

Our MountainPark[.net] expired 09.28.15. As per the TOS we were not surprised when she hit redemption after just 35 days on 11.02.2015

The entire time it sat in redemption we were able to rescue it if we chose to do so, but it disappeared from our account on 01.27.2016, so almost 3 months sitting. If you check it today it still has our acquisition date from 2012 so it never dropped.

Maybe if you telephoned your contact at the .ca to tell them that it looks like their registrar is going to sell their name out from under them?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back