Dynadot

advice Should I Hand Register Domain Names Today? - DomainInsider.in

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Soofi

Love Domain NamesTop Member
Impact
Should I hand register domain names today as an investor?

The simple answer is yes, you CAN hand register domain names today! More detailed answer is that 99.99% of today’s domain name registrations are horrible and terrible.

Majority of domain name investors are losing money with hand registered domain names in the hope of making that one jackpot of domain name sale in order to recover most of their investment. However, we also have certain section of domain name investors AKA domainers with a more streamlined and proven strategies who are minting money with hand registered domain names in a certain niche.

If I am hand-registering or acquiring (from aftermarket) a domain name today, It will normally be GEO+ComercialKeyword or an Emerging Future Technology related keywords in .COM extension (TLD).

I’ll also perform the following few steps in order to figure out whether the domain name in question has any worth, and stands a chance to be sold for profit at later date.

1. English formation and commercial viability (market acceptability) should make sense for, in the keywords.
  2. My experience of 18 years in the domain name industry, and 12 years of selling domain names helps quite a bit in picking up some DECENT domain names. Please note; I have mentioned DECENT because my picks could either be good/bad, as no one (including me) is 100% sure of what domain names are going to sell in the market
  3. Perform Google Search to figure out your general audience for the keywords in the domain name.
  4. Google search again with inverted commas (“keyword”) to know and compile a list of your endusers for the keywords or niche of your domain name.
  5. Perform LinkedIN search to figure out how many companies or professional entities are using your keywords as their company name. This action helps substantiate your domain name registration or acquisition.
These are just some basic and initial steps which help in deciding whether I should hand register or acquire a domain name. If I’m still not sure, I’ll enhance my research with other social media and commercial platforms to be double sure of the possibilities.

Helpful Tip: Stay up to date on latest news, especially on emerging technology and products. There are endless opportunities to hand-register domains that will become valuable in the future (Example: Crypto.com, CryptoGames.com, PodTaxi.com, Vapes.com, MagicVapes.com etc). Try to combine popular or trending keywords, for example: MagicVapes.com. (The Vape industry is a booming market, and brand names starting with “Magic” could get popular or use some other popular keyword).

Statutory Warning: Don’t expect to sell a hand-registered domain name after few days or months. If it was available for registration, there is a reason behind it! (hint: nobody else wanted it). You have to be patient and probably identify endusers for your hand registered domain name.

Happy Domaining!

Source: my article from DomainInsider.in

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In the last 48 hours, I hand registered over 3,000 Brand-generic .XYZ domains ($2970 cost) and already sold 1.

As the .com’s continue to grow in price, more possible buyers will be looking for less expensive TLD options. .COM, however, is and will remain the gold standard.

nice
dont u find it bit hard to reg and find 2k decent names in an extension on same day .. versus waiting round for some nice ones to drop ..over weeks or months....?

•••
It takes time going over each name, one by one - but it's a one-time intensive task with low-risk, high reward - if you know what you are doing.

•••
I recommend not hand registering domains, my personal opinion is to buy higher quality aged domains and to resell them. So for example instead of hand regging 10 domains @ $10 each id prefer to buy 1 x higher quality domain at $100

Just my 2 cents

•••
In the last 48 hours, I hand registered over 3,000 Brand-generic .XYZ domains ($2970 cost) and already sold 1.

As the .com’s continue to grow in price, more possible buyers will be looking for less expensive TLD options. .COM, however, is and will remain the gold standard.

You are one of the prime examples, who sells hand registered domain names like a piece of cake :)

•••
I recommend not hand registering domains, my personal opinion is to buy higher quality aged domains and to resell them. So for example instead of hand regging 10 domains @ $10 each id prefer to buy 1 x higher quality domain at $100

Just my 2 cents

Good point however, you dont really get good or quality domains at $100 price tag. You probably have to shell a lot more in order to bag a quality domain name from aftermarket today!

•••
I just made my first reg yesterday for a niche + insect.com later I found that the domain was dropped by end-user not a domainer, when I check wayback machine i saw the registry is unknown company which am sure modern domainers don't use the company anymore coz the company looks old, I later found this domain expired auction on pheenix ..

Is there any way I can check the expired auction at pheenix to know if it actually sells?
Thanks.

You could bid on it?

•••
•••
•••
I have already registered the domain.
Travel insect dot com

So you are saying that you registered a domain which was for sale in Pheenix Auctions? ownership is usually 100% yours in cases like that. But if it bothers you. You could always send send them an email to take down the auction.

•••
So you are saying that you registered a domain which was for sale in Pheenix Auctions? ownership is usually 100% yours in cases like that. But if it bothers you. You could always send send them an email to take down the auction.
sorry it's an expired auction on pheenix I saw through Google search before I hand reg it, I know it's not more premium than just a hand reg.. What I love most is pronunciation and meaning insect are traveling being..

Last edited:
•••
This is a great thread, with some excellent discussion going on. Kudos to @Soofi for starting it.

Of course hand registering is not dead but it does take many more hours these days to find a gem than it used to. It can be time consuming in itself so you really need to know what you're doing to make it worthwhile.

Look at the likes of @Federer who in my opinion is one of the top at this game.

@stewmath makes a fair point regarding aftermarket, but the trouble there is the amount of competition these days. I am seeing names going for either near end user prices or 10x what similar names would've sold for 5-10 years ago.

•••
This is a great thread, with some excellent discussion going on. Kudos to @Soofi for starting it.

Of course hand registering is not dead but it does take many more hours these days to find a gem than it used to. It can be time consuming in itself so you really need to know what you're doing to make it worthwhile.

Look at the likes of @Federer who in my opinion is one of the top at this game.

@stewmath makes a fair point regarding aftermarket, but the trouble there is the amount of competition these days. I am seeing names going for either near end user prices or 10x what similar names would've sold for 5-10 years ago.

Thank Dave for the kind words :)

•••

Just my 2 cents
Are you saying those you will buy at $100 are not hand reg within one or two year?
If you are buying any domain for that amount; in my opinion, you are still buying hand reg. The only issue is that they are just changed hands

•••
Are you saying those you will buy at $100 are not hand reg within one or two year?
If you are buying any domain for that amount; in my opinion, you are still buying hand reg. The only issue is that they are just changed hands

I agree with you. Any and every domain name was hand registered some time ago. Plus a decent looking domain name cannot be acquired for mere $100 bucks today imo

•••
I guess domainers should purchase domain blindly hopeing a jakepot . We should never keep a hope for any jakepots. Its rare and kindly of gamble. Its' always good to purchase short and meaningful domains.

•••
Back