IT.COM

poll Should domain offers be reported?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should domain offers be reported?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    17.0%
  • No

votes
    83.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact

There has been lots of chatter lately with people mentioning offers they have received on their domains.

Is it proper etiquette to mention an offer with no proof? Also, what could be used to show proof for an offer? After all, isn't it hard to prove an offer is honest, sincere and legitimate?

Is it misleading to use domain offers to hype a domain?

Lots to discuss. Please comment.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Each country follows different Mores.

For example I live in the Sutherland Shire, NSW, Australia and this area won't release Property Sales information for publication.

Cheers
Corey

•••
Without proof, shouldnt bother.. with proof, is legit way to go!

There has been lots of chatter lately with people mentioning offers they have received on their domains.

Is it proper etiquette to mention an offer with no proof? Also, what could be used to show proof for an offer? After all, isn't it hard to prove an offer is honest, sincere and legitimate?

Is it misleading to use domain offers to hype a domain?

Lots to discuss. Please comment.

•••
That being said .. *IF* there is extra information that comes with the offer and there actually is something that can be helpful or useful to others, then by all means most certainly reporting offers can be a good thing.

This is how you help new people making an entry in the domain industry LEARN!!

•••

I think if a seller wants to go public with his offer for some reason (i.e. to attract new potential buyers) he has to respect or at least tell the buyer that he wants to go public.

If there is no proof for an offer, well a professional seller might probaby lose reputation, i.e. I personally would not engage him as a broker, in case his announcement was a bluff.

btw, like here in this thread - still no proof provided for 7 figures sale.

•••
After thinking about this a bit more, I can think of one situation where it might be good to in some organized way give domain offers. Let us say you have a domain name that you have an offer on, but it is in the range of a wholesale price offer, but you are very keen to sell the domain name (e.g. need cash flow). It might be logical in that sense to for a short period have a section at NPs where names and offers are given with the idea to see if anyone would offer more. It is sort of like an auction, but more like a last chance. Maybe call it that Last Chance. But I am not sure if this would be contrary to TOS at some of the marketplaces? (clearly it is not fair for domains in auctions, and not allowed for BIN, but I am talking offer type only). Thoughts?

Bob

•••
For those saying proof should be given ... I think that proof should certainly be given before you believe them. But showing proof could be a personal data privacy issue if showing info about the buyer (remember we can't edit or remove anything beyond 30 minutes at NamePros). More importantly, as much as I would love for everything to be true, transparent and proven here at NamePros .. it's important to remember that almost nothing is guaranteed to be true in a forum like this .. so not only should "offers" be taken with a grain of salt .. everything should be. Particularly from those who have not built up a "community trust" and more importantly your own personal trust.

More importantly ... it's hard to say we shouldn't alloy people to discuss offers without proof when the majority of sales discussed also don't have proof. In my mind claiming a fake sale is much more damaging than claiming a fake offer (although both are obviously bad and shouldn't be allowed IF proven otherwise)

I really don't care if people post their pending offers .. but I take it like automated appraisals .. interesting on the macro level .. but don't really take much from individual specific single offers. Particularly if they deviate from standard .. at least until the sale is closed and more proof is given.

Again though .. the reason I'm open to offers being allowed to be discussed is for the information and content beyond the actual number. Meaning how you got the buyer's contact, what was the email wording you used, what negotiation tactics were used, etc etc ... that sort of information is usually significantly more valuable to domainers than just the numbers ...

.. but I am talking offer type only). Thoughts?

You mean like this here .. ;) ...
https://www.namepros.com/forums/make-an-offer.4/

(Sorry .. was too easy not to .. lol)

Last edited:
•••
You mean like this here .. ;) ...
https://www.namepros.com/forums/make-an-offer.4/

(Sorry .. was too easy not to .. lol)

Sorry I was confusing. I do realize that we have a make offer thread :xf.smile:.

No I means a thread only for domain names where there already is one (or more offers) and a decision has been made to accept some offer, but want to get the best one.

So say I put domain x up on a make offer thread on NPs or elsewhere and someone offers $250.

I post to a thread that is only active a short time a "Last Chance" thread that it is going at $250 unless I get a higher offer. I would restrict it to say 48 hr and not allow bumping or other comments other than a higher offer or clarification questions/responses.

Bob

•••
Often we already know what we need to do, but just need to hear somebody else to say it out loud to be extra sure. Domaining is such an arbitrary and random business .. most of the time there's much more luck involved than logic.

Sigh .. you know that being that ambiguous and open ended means that there's going to be blood by page 10 of this thread if it gets that far? lol :dead:

Well said, @Ategy.com.

•••
... No I means a thread only for domain names where there already is one (or more offers) and a decision has been made to accept some offer, but want to get the best one.

So say I put domain x up on a make offer thread on NPs or elsewhere and someone offers $250.

I post to a thread that is only active a short time a "Last Chance" thread that it is going at $250 unless I get a higher offer. I would restrict it to say 48 hr and not allow bumping or other comments other than a higher offer or clarification questions/responses.

Bob

But what you're talking about it exactly what the Make Offer section of NamePros can and should be used for.

The only way a separate section should be made would be if those "offers" could actually be proven (something which I think has already been established above really isn't realistic). Creating such a section without proof would lead to such extreme abuse .. Basically if I want to vastly increase the chance of selling a domain for $200, I say I already have an offer of $175 .. this would lead to an increased chance of people bidding in the same way people often overbid in auctions with multiple bidders .. the reality is that there is no actual tangible way to distinguish between what would be domains in each of the two supposedly different sections ("Make offer with existing offer" vs "Make offer without existing offer")..

•••
You make a good point, as always :xf.wink:, @Ategy.com. It would be too open to potential abuse.

I retract my suggestion (well not officially, too late) and add it to my growing personal collection of ill-advised ideas:xf.frown:. 'An expert is someone who makes every possible mistake in an area' (source unknown). I am working hard on being a domain expert! :xf.cool:

Thanks again.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back