IT.COM

information Should Car Dealerships Use a Geo .CARS Domain Name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
It's been a while since I have released a New TLD case study. I recently completed a 30 page case study where I looked at 3 different .CARS web sites. One moved from a .COM to a .CARS domain, the other two launched new web sites on .CARS domains.

The site that moved, ArizonaUsedCars.com, moved to Arizona.CARS. They saw a 75 percent increase in visitors from Google organic search (just by moving the site). The others have done pretty well, also.

In the PDF, I detail all of the Google Analytics data, as well as SEMrush.com search engine ranking data.

You can download the case study here.

I'd love to hear any feedback you have--positive or negative.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The companies which has long untidy .com has benefit to change to .CARS extension otherwise .com still remain king in all other aspects IMHO

•••
Though .CARS is good for Car related companies/firms/dealers if they can afford it but for domain investors there are much better/profitable other new gTLDs with low prices.

•••
As a ex car dealer/rebuilder/wholesaler/exporter

The answer is NOOOO!

•••
The .Cars Registry (nic.cars) says "Introducing .Cars, .Car, and .Auto: the complete line of new domains developed specifically for the automotive industry."

I think 🤔 .Auto is better one. What's Your thoughts?

•••
The .Cars Registry (nic.cars) says "Introducing .Cars, .Car, and .Auto: the complete line of new domains developed specifically for the automotive industry."

I think 🤔 .Auto is better one. What's Your thoughts?

I think it depends where you are from? IIRC, Autos is more a US term for Cars. But a Brit, would always use Cars rather than Autos. Although an American knows what we (being a Brit) mean by Cars and a Brit knows what you mean by Autos. For me. they are synonymous. Please correct me if I am wrong about this. Perhaps we need both Autos & Cars for brand protection ;)

On second thoughts. Cars means just Cars (passenger vehicles). but doesn't Autos mean Cars and Trucks? Yes/No?

Last edited:
•••
"auto/s" = german term for "car/s"
I assume that's the primary reason why they created the ".auto" - TLD.

Last edited:
•••
I think it is a nice extension, for geos specifically, but can certainly not see anyone paying $3K a year for it.

I believe most end users would prefer buying a nice .com at $10-$10K+ upfront then forking up $3K for years.

Last edited:
•••
[QUOTE="maxtra, post: 6675861, member: 1001288"

I believe most end users would prefer buying a nice .com at $10-$10K+ upfront then forking up $3K for years.[/QUOTE]

Or whatever price it jumps to in the future years :)

•••
It's been a while since I have released a New TLD case study. I recently completed a 30 page case study where I looked at 3 different .CARS web sites. One moved from a .COM to a .CARS domain, the other two launched new web sites on .CARS domains.

The site that moved, ArizonaUsedCars.com, moved to Arizona.CARS. They saw a 75 percent increase in visitors from Google organic search (just by moving the site). The others have done pretty well, also.

In the PDF, I detail all of the Google Analytics data, as well as SEMrush.com search engine ranking data.

You can download the case study here.

I'd love to hear any feedback you have--positive or negative.

I must say I do like arizona.cars as a domain.

The problem is, though, how do you know they would not have had a 75% increase in visitors, had they stayed on the former domain?

Was there any changes to content on the new domain? How would the old domain of done, if any new content had been added to that?

•••
>>Was there any changes to content on the new domain? How would the old domain of done, if any new content had been added to that?

Generally no content was added.

You'd generally have to add articles, long-form content, or a blog in order to change the outcome (which most car dealers won't or don't do).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back