IT.COM

information ShortDot's James.bond and 007.bond Domain Names Are for Sale at Dan.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
"ShortDot SA, the domain registry that owns and operates the .bond domain extension, has contracted with Dan.com to facilitate the sale of James.bond and 007.bond domain names."

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...ond-Domain-Names-Are-for-Sale-at-Dan-com.html

OK - this just made me shake my head, they do a press release to say they are selling these domains which blatantly only have 1 end user in mind - asking for trouble?

Coincidently the new James Bond film is being released today in the UK :whistle:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
james .bond

is a

first name .surname

which are much more valuable than

first name surname .com's

because every

first name surname .com

exists

but i only know of

5 surnames recognised in the uk that are available as

first name .surname

new gtlds eg shorter than the .com because the .com isnt necessary

i have been buying

first name .surname

new gtlds for reg fee for years

ive owned 16

first name .surname

new gtlds over the years and still own at least 11

first name .surname

new gtlds

but

james .bond

first name .surname

gtld when sold will sell for big dough and then everyone will want their first name .surname
as their website address lol

wait till

.smith

and

.jones

new gtlds are added etc

eg very very popular surnames in the uk then youll see big prices paid for

first name .surname

new gtlds

all good fun

•••
james .bond

is a

first name .surname

which are much more valuable than

first name surname .com's

because every

first name surname .com

exists

but i only know of

5 surnames recognised in the uk that are available as

first name .surname

new gtlds eg shorter than the .com because the .com isnt necessary

i have been buying

first name .surname

new gtlds for reg fee for years

ive owned 16

first name .surname

new gtlds over the years and still own at least 11

first name .surname

new gtlds

but

james .bond

first name .surname

gtld when sold will sell for big dough and then everyone will want their first name .surname
as their website address lol

wait till

.smith

and

.jones

new gtlds are added etc

eg very very popular surnames in the uk then youll see big prices paid for

first name .surname

new gtlds

all good fun
I do understand, also the way you wrote this post looks like you where trying to write a poem.....

The point is they are blatantly targeting 1 specific end user in the way they are marketing these domains - it's pretty obvious......

You can spin it how you want and I agree with the first . surname but it's not the way they are going about things.......

•••
I think
(therefore, I am)
that @jberryhill
a prominent lawyer
attorney,
or simply-
-a sharper mind
can hop in, once again
to this conversation
and show us all
lesser minds
(domainers)
what "abject stupidity" means

EOM.

Last edited:
•••
I think
(therefore, I am)
that @jberryhill
a prominent lawyer
attorney,
or simply-
-a sharper mind
can hop in, once again
to this conversation
and show us all
lesser minds
(domainers)
what "abject stupidity" means

EOM.
Very clever......

An ode to intelligence and us dullards - hopefully he does

•••
Who owns the .bond registry and what other registries do they own?

•••
•••
Who owns the .bond registry

DANJAQ LLC will end up owning the registry if they hear about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danjaq

Danjaq, LLC (formerly Danjaq S.A. and Danjaq, Inc.) is the holding company responsible for the copyright and trademarks to the characters, elements, and other material related to James Bond on screen. It is currently owned and managed by the family of Albert R. Broccoli, the co-initiator of the popular film franchise.
---------------

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I want to make it clear to anyone new here:

If what the registry is doing here is not immediately obvious to you as a really dumb idea, you would do yourself a favor and get out of domaining, because you might end up getting hurt.

The press release is a study in self-delusion. Saying "James" is a common name, or "007" is a three-digit string is pretty irrelevant to the context here.

1. This press release is one week ahead of the premiere of a new James Bond movie. They've had these names for a while (and advertised them as a pair before), but they are expecting a potential finder of fact to somehow believe that the timing of this advertisement is just some kind of coincidence.

2. The press release clearly puts "James.Bond" together with "007.Bond" for no reason other than the association with the movie franchise associated with those terms.

3. The press release attempts to justify "James.Bond" by saying "'James' is one of the most popular first names in the world". That's true. What other "popular first names" are they selling? Jim? No. Paul? No. Muhammad? No. Mary? No. Most "popular first names" in .bond aren't even registered, much less being touted for sale the week before a Bond movie release.

4. The press release notes that "007" is a three digit number. Same questions apply. Why just that one, when they aren't selling or touting any other three digit numbers (or at least not any I checked). 001, 002, 003, etc., all look to be registered by ordinary registrants and parked. They held back "007". Why? What is special about that one?

These are the kinds of contextual facts which, for some reason, a certain kind of mindset seeks to ignore when attempting to justify blatant cybersquatting. I don't know if it is a psychological syndrome of some kind, but the "don't look at the entire factual context, just focus on some narrow fact" mentality is pretty common.

There is nothing other than the association with the James Bond film franchise, that explains why, after having these names for a while, they decided to issue a new press release the week before a Bond movie.

There is nothing other than the association with the James Bond film franchise, that explains why they are advertising these as a pair - and have held them back for themselves while leaving other three-digit numbers and popular names either unregistered or registered in the ordinary course to others.

And, finally, saying "But there might be some guy named 'James Bond'" does nothing to change the fact that neither of these names is registered to a guy named "James Bond". These names are registered to a deeply misguided organization that is not only harming its own reputation, but dragging Dan.com down with it. Coming up with some hypothetical facts from some alternative universe does not change the reality in THIS universe, and it is blatantly and abundantly clear what they are doing here.

•••
I'm particularly intererested in the "contract" with @DAN.COM that ShortDot SA mentions in their PR:

"ShortDot SA, the domain registry that owns and operates the .bond domain extension, has contracted with Dan.com to facilitate the sale of James.bond and 007.bond domain names."

What kind of contract is this exactly?

•••
I'm particularly intererested in the "contract" with @DAN.COM that ShortDot SA mentions in their PR:

Nice pick up - I noticed this and was going to put in the original post - if the domain/s sold their "contract" (loosely used) is with DAN to make sure the domain gets transferred and they get paid..... same for all who use them.....

The wording implies something else but I think this is what they meant, no need for it to be mentioned at all really, they are just trying to add a layer of authenticity to the press release - which is another fail.....

Last edited:
•••
Nice pick up - I noticed this and was going to put in the original post - if the domain/s sold their "contract" (loosely used) is with DAN to make sure the domain gets transferred and they get paid..... same for all who use them.....

The wording implies something else but I think this is what they meant, no need for it to be mentioned at all really, they are just trying to add a layer of authenticity to the press release - which is another fail.....

Right. Maybe it's this contract?

https://dan.com/terms_of_use
section 5.4

•••

My guess would be that they simply posted the names for sale under the ordinary user agreement and they probably didn't ask for permission to use Dan.com's name in the header of their press release.

But they do convey the impression that this is through some special arrangement with Dan.com.

•••

Good question!, @DAN.COM . Also, are they still listed @Sedo as they were last time or were they booted for TM infringement.

•••
DANJAQ LLC will end up owning the registry if they hear about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danjaq

Danjaq, LLC (formerly Danjaq S.A. and Danjaq, Inc.) is the holding company responsible for the copyright and trademarks to the characters, elements, and other material related to James Bond on screen. It is currently owned and managed by the family of Albert R. Broccoli, the co-initiator of the popular film franchise.
---------------

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I want to make it clear to anyone new here:

If what the registry is doing here is not immediately obvious to you as a really dumb idea, you would do yourself a favor and get out of domaining, because you might end up getting hurt.

The press release is a study in self-delusion. Saying "James" is a common name, or "007" is a three-digit string is pretty irrelevant to the context here.

1. This press release is one week ahead of the premiere of a new James Bond movie. They've had these names for a while (and advertised them as a pair before), but they are expecting a potential finder of fact to somehow believe that the timing of this advertisement is just some kind of coincidence.

2. The press release clearly puts "James.Bond" together with "007.Bond" for no reason other than the association with the movie franchise associated with those terms.

3. The press release attempts to justify "James.Bond" by saying "'James' is one of the most popular first names in the world". That's true. What other "popular first names" are they selling? Jim? No. Paul? No. Muhammad? No. Mary? No. Most "popular first names" in .bond aren't even registered, much less being touted for sale the week before a Bond movie release.

4. The press release notes that "007" is a three digit number. Same questions apply. Why just that one, when they aren't selling or touting any other three digit numbers (or at least not any I checked). 001, 002, 003, etc., all look to be registered by ordinary registrants and parked. They held back "007". Why? What is special about that one?

These are the kinds of contextual facts which, for some reason, a certain kind of mindset seeks to ignore when attempting to justify blatant cybersquatting. I don't know if it is a psychological syndrome of some kind, but the "don't look at the entire factual context, just focus on some narrow fact" mentality is pretty common.

There is nothing other than the association with the James Bond film franchise, that explains why, after having these names for a while, they decided to issue a new press release the week before a Bond movie.

There is nothing other than the association with the James Bond film franchise, that explains why they are advertising these as a pair - and have held them back for themselves while leaving other three-digit numbers and popular names either unregistered or registered in the ordinary course to others.

And, finally, saying "But there might be some guy named 'James Bond'" does nothing to change the fact that neither of these names is registered to a guy named "James Bond". These names are registered to a deeply misguided organization that is not only harming its own reputation, but dragging Dan.com down with it. Coming up with some hypothetical facts from some alternative universe does not change the reality in THIS universe, and it is blatantly and abundantly clear what they are doing here.

Now that's some Pro content. Thanks!

•••
Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 5.48.42 PM.png

•••
•••
•••
right.....you 2 have creeped me out and made somehow think of Chitty Chitty Bang bang......

images

•••
•••
I am not a spy but i see advertising.

•••
Good question!, @DAN.COM . Also, are they still listed @Sedo as they were last time or were they booted for TM infringement.

For the record, we have not contracted with them for these sales. They signed up at Dan.com and didn't also request approval from us before sending out that release.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back