IT.COM

discuss .shop domain in the future?

NameSilo
Watch

Leo2k

Established Member
Impact
I am planning to buy some .shop domains to develop my own sites and promote it and later sell it or keep it myself.
Does that sound a good idea?
Will the visitors avoid .shop sites for any reason?
Will the .shop domain have any value if the name is good enough?
Considering .shop as the price is low register but at the same time I don't want to waste my time over that if its not a good idea.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.SHOP has only had (9) reported sales in the last year for about $9K total.

The only way I would consider investing in the extension is if the term was super premium, and cheap.

Gun.shop is good, for the right price.

Anything that is not a top tier single word term likely has limited, if any, value.

Brad

•••
.shop domain in the future? - nope

If you plan to buy some .shop domains and develop them for your business, OK. But I'll try the .com first :)

If you plan to buy and resell them - nope, I would not invest my money is such extension.

P.S. - .shop sounds spam to me. But maybe just for me.

•••
.shop domain in the future? - nope

If you plan to buy some .shop domains and develop them for your business, OK. But I'll try the .com first :)

If you plan to buy and resell them - nope, I would not invest my money is such extension.

P.S. - .shop sounds spam to me. But maybe just for me.
How about .xyz compared to .shop?

I have just bought 2 domains, same name in .xyz and .shop. (.com is not available and is not built. For sale. And I am not going to build a serious site. Just trying how it goes.)
I am planning to build a site on one of that and have the other one redirected to it.
Which would you suggest to be the primary to show up in the url?

And, any idea on which thread I can post both the domain names to get suggestion from the members? Would Domain name discussion the right thread?

Last edited:
•••
How about .xyz compared to .shop?

I have just bought 2 domains, same name in .xyz and .shop. (.com is not available and is not built. For sale. And I am not going to build a serious site. Just trying how it goes.)
I am planning to build a site on one of that and have the other one redirected to it.
Which would you suggest to be the primary to show up in the url?

And, any idea on which thread I can post both the domain names to get suggestion from the members? Would Domain name discussion the right thread?
For development, the extension makes no difference in the eyes of Google

Also redirecting one to the other will do nothing as they don't have backlinks and you will get little to zero type in traffic with these extensions......

Also depends on what type of site you building - If it's e-commerce or involves selling anything for that matter it makes sense to use the .shop - anything else I would probably lean towards the .xyz......

Developing and maintaining a website is hard work - GL

•••
For development, the extension makes no difference in the eyes of Google

Also redirecting one to the other will do nothing as they don't have backlinks and you will get little to zero type in traffic with these extensions......

Also depends on what type of site you building - If it's e-commerce or involves selling anything for that matter it makes sense to use the .shop - anything else I would probably lean towards the .xyz......

Developing and maintaining a website is hard work - GL
Thank you for the explanation. Based on your suggestion, .shop seems to be more appropriate.
Created a new post asking for opinion from people about how the domain name & extension sounds. Let me see. Personally I do like .shop, but looking for mass opinion.

•••
These are the blended renewal percentages for .SHOP (first year and previous years) for the last few months. It is based on ICANN's data which is not precisely aligned with each month and the same month in previous years.
It is a very crude formula of renewed/(renewed+deleted)*100.

August 2022: 24.4%
July 2022: 19.22%
June 2022: 33.54%
May 2022: 38.27%
April 2022: 43.26%
March 2022: 37.02%

It seems to use discounting offers to grow its zone. The .COM is generally over 70% blended and the .ORG is generally over 80%. Those are legacy gTLDs and .SHOP is still relatively new. The problem is that combination of large numbers of non-renewals and discounting is not good for stability. That said, its blended renewals are stronger than those of .XYZ (August 2022: 15.94%).

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
These are the blended renewal percentages for .SHOP (first year and previous years) for the last few months. It is based on ICANN's data which is not precisely aligned with each month and the same month in previous years.
It is a very crude formula of renewed/(renewed+deleted)*100.

August 2022: 24.4%
July 2022: 19.22%
June 2022: 33.54%
May 2022: 38.27%
April 2022: 43.26%
March 2022: 37.02%

It seems to use discounting offers to grow its zone. The .COM is generally over 70% blended and the .ORG is generally over 80%. Those are legacy gTLDs and .SHOP is still relatively new. The problem is that combination of large numbers of non-renewals and discounting is not good for stability. That said, its blended renewals are stronger than those of .XYZ (August 2022: 15.94%).

Regards...jmcc
Thank you for the wonderful data. Seems .shop will have some future for good quality names atleast.
That said, its blended renewals are stronger than those of .XYZ (August 2022: 15.94%).
I guess its because, people who registered .xyz randomly registered whatever was available with a hope of getting some value and finally decided to drop it when no value was found. People who register .shop, I believe, are registering mostly some meaningful names instead of some random names.

Any idea about .store domain compared to .shop?
As per tld-list popularity of both the domains are almost same.
Does it have same / better / lower value compared to .shop?

•••
Thank you for the wonderful data. Seems .shop will have some future for good quality names atleast.
It may have but the quality of the gTLD is what matters more than the quality of the domain name.

I guess its because, people who registered .xyz randomly registered whatever was available with a hope of getting some value and finally decided to drop it when no value was found. People who register .shop, I believe, are registering mostly some meaningful names instead of some random names.
There are lots of one year wonder domain names in both but a lot more in .XYZ because of its business model and its generic nature. The .SHOP is a targeted or niche gTLD.

Any idea about .store domain compared to .shop?
As per tld-list popularity of both the domains are almost same.
Does it have same / better / lower value compared to .shop?
Not sure about the value but the August 2022 blended renewal was 27.86%. It isn't that different from .SHOP in some respects. One of the more subtle factors in the value of domain names in a new gTLD is the dominant market (which countries have the most domain names in the gTLD) in the gTLD. That means that the resale price is directly linked to the economic conditions of the dominant countries. One of the reasons that .COM domain names sell so well is because the .COM is the most used extension in the USA.

These are top 5 registrar countries for .SHOP by percentage of domain names (August 2022):
| US | 54.8038 |
| CN | 15.5431 |
| DE | 6.4175 |
| CA | 4.9059 |
| JP | 4.3142 |

The .STORE percentages are:
| US | 42.8065 |
| RU | 13.6565 |
| CA | 8.9661 |
| CN | 8.6673 |
| LT | 4.5350 |

For comparison, these are the top 5 countries by registrars in .COM:
| US | 64.7579 |
| CN | 6.1178 |
| DE | 5.1796 |
| CA | 4.9715 |
| IN | 2.2367 |

The top 5 countries by registrars for .XYZ are:

| US | 61.6158 |
| CN | 13.4229 |
| JP | 10.9650 |
| TR | 2.5468 |
| LT | 1.6458 |

These percentages are based on the registrars but registrars can have customers from other countries.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
These are top 5 registrar countries for .SHOP by percentage of domain names (August 2022):
| US | 54.8038 |
| CN | 15.5431 |
| DE | 6.4175 |
| CA | 4.9059 |
| JP | 4.3142 |

The .STORE percentages are:
| US | 42.8065 |
| RU | 13.6565 |
| CA | 8.9661 |
| CN | 8.6673 |
| LT | 4.5350 |

For comparison, these are the top 5 countries by registrars in .COM:
| US | 64.7579 |
| CN | 6.1178 |
| DE | 5.1796 |
| CA | 4.9715 |
| IN | 2.2367 |

The top 5 countries by registrars for .XYZ are:

| US | 61.6158 |
| CN | 13.4229 |
| JP | 10.9650 |
| TR | 2.5468 |
| LT | 1.6458 |

These percentages are based on the registrars but registrars can have customers from other countries.

Regards...jmcc
Thank you again for this valuable data.

•••
I have seen many .shop domains passing by in the drop shipping industry, especially newbies that think drop shipping is an easy money game.
most of them alternate from .com to .shop, not because its taken, but because its cheap.

The old - " I want to make a gazillion dollars tomorrow with business model A, but I refuse or cannot spend a few extra bucks in something much more needed."

•••
I have seen many .shop domains passing by in the drop shipping industry, especially newbies that think drop shipping is an easy money game.
most of them alternate from .com to .shop, not because its taken, but because its cheap.

The old - " I want to make a gazillion dollars tomorrow with business model A, but I refuse or cannot spend a few extra bucks in something much more needed."
That is right. But with new companies being started every year, .com domains cannot be expected to serve a short, memorable & meaningful domain name for the customer for a long time I believe.
What do you think about the same? If some alternate would come, which domains would that be?

•••
I problem I see with .shop and many other ntlds is that they have lots of "premium" and reserved domains

•••
I problem I see with .shop and many other ntlds is that they have lots of "premium" and reserved domains
Thats so true. They have made almost all main keywords that would have demand as Premium and Reserved with a high price.

•••
All depends on what traffic you can pull with the keywords. I don't think buying them up for sake if it is a great idea based on previous sales but if you have a market or product for the type of traffic then it could suit.

•••
Back