IT.COM

question Selling tlds for a Trademark domain ........

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Saka77

Restricted (66% DM)
Impact
Hello my friends .

Please i need your help and experience to know .

IF there is a new brand for shoes and already has it's registered trademark and a dot com domain name .

My question is Why domainers go to buy every domain tlds for this brand ??

Who will buy this tlds from the domainers ?

Really looking to see your reply .

Have a nice days

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because they are dumb. We have alot of bottom feeding vultures in this industry.

Now if the name is NOT clearly for only the shoe niche maybe a tiny remote chance they sell for some other niche.

If its a well known and established brand no one will start another brand of any kind on the name and those holding the other extensions are easily classified as cybersquatters.

•••
Because they are dumb. We have alot of bottom feeding vultures in this industry.

Now if the name is NOT clearly for only the shoe niche maybe a tiny remote chance they sell for some other niche.

If its a well known and established brand no one will start another brand of any kind on the name and those holding the other extensions are easily classified as cybersquatters.
Thank you for your interest .

But why some of other tlds for the same brand name sold for over $10k ?

•••
Thank you for your interest .

But why some of other tlds for the same brand name sold for over $10k ?
Can you provide specific examples?

•••
Can you provide specific examples?
For Example .

Reebok registered in over 130 tlds and Reebok is a famous brand and has it's trademark and Reebok.be sold for over $2000 !!!

Who will be interesting to buy the other tlds ?

•••
For Example .

Reebok registered in over 130 tlds and Reebok is a famous brand and has it's trademark and Reebok.be sold for over $2000 !!!

Assuming that sale is legitimate (it's listed on namebio so it likely is), it seems an exception. Perhaps Reebok, if they bought it, didn't want the hassle and expense of obtaining the domain via legal means. Trying to sell domains like this is like playing with fire - chances are one is going to get burnt. The odd exception does not make it worth it.

•••
Assuming that sale is legitimate (it's listed on namebio so it likely is), it seems an exception. Perhaps Reebok, if they bought it, didn't want the hassle and expense of obtaining the domain via legal means. Trying to sell domains like this is like playing with fire - chances are one is going to get burnt. The odd exception does not make it worth it.
Thank you my friend

•••
You're in hot water if its a pretty well known brand, I would say. Just isn't worth the hassle

Those that do buy them are either silly or confident that they can pull it off for the brand to be targeted towards an entirely different sector, and for it to be hassle free. In the case of a "Reebok", thats a pretty specific brand. If it was me, I'd be nervous

•••
You're in hot water if its a pretty well known brand, I would say. Just isn't worth the hassle

Those that do buy them are either silly or confident that they can pull it off for the brand to be targeted towards an entirely different sector, and for it to be hassle free. In the case of a "Reebok", thats a pretty specific brand. If it was me, I'd be nervous
Thank you for your advice .

I'm not interesting to buy like these domains .

I only found it when i was searching .

Last edited:
•••

I don't think the same.
Have many trademark with the same name in different sectors.

Not speak about TOP Trademarks, Amazon, Reebok, Nike,.... But know many that have the same name with is trademark and working in different sectors.

One clear example:
SEDO.COM
SEDO.ES

Why not any domainer buy the same name in other extension and install a blog to write about flying pigs?? Where is the problem?

Last edited:
•••
I don't think the same.

Not speak about TOP Trademarks, Amazon, Reebok, Nike,.... But know many that have the same name with is trademark and working in different sectors.

One clear example:
SEDO.COM
SEDO.ES

Why not any domainer buy the same name in other extension and install a blog to write about flying pigs?? Where is the problem?

It isn't so clear cut. Being in a different sector helps the argument. Either way, I think any big company that wants to defend their trademark will do so, and they have the resources and lawyers to their advantage

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't think the same.

One clear example:
SEDO.COM
SEDO.ES

Good opinion and interesting to know the other opinions

•••
If it's not a super well known consumer brand, you could use it for a non related business niche. I wouldn't touch anything related to a top 50 consumer brand though. That's not worth the trouble to sell as a non related play. Plus their legal teams can bury you.

•••
I own two that technically have companies with similar names. Wibbets.com my hybrid Ecommerce and media venture, There is also a Wibbitz in AI based marketing software. I also Edisonhd.com which I am planning a venture for but there is a Edison energy company.The venture is in no way related though. If I was using them for unrelated business ventures I would probably be nervous about trying to move them as a raw asset though.

•••
If its a unique name not otherwise used outside the context of the brand, then it could be difficult to defend your intent for registering the trademarked domain. But common names that can be easily related to outside the brand in question like Aurora, Eclipse, Andromeda, Galaxy etc., then I believe, you can be fairly safe if you can establish your intent outside the category of their trademarks.

If protecting brand identity would be that simple, then we wouldn't have large companies spending big on protecting their trademarks through companies like Marcaria et al who grab up domains during the sunrise/landrush period for their clients.

Last edited:
•••
I own two that technically have companies with similar names. Wibbets.com my hybrid Ecommerce and media venture, There is also a Wibbitz in AI based marketing software. I also Edisonhd.com which I am planning a venture for but there is a Edison energy company.The venture is in no way related though. If I was using them for unrelated business ventures I would probably be nervous about trying to move them as a raw asset though.
Thank you sir for your interest .

So as i mentioned above for example :

•••
If its a unique name not otherwise used outside the context of the brand, then it could be difficult to defend your intent for registering the trademarked domain. But common names that can be easily related to outside the brand in question like Aurora, Eclipse, Andromeda, Galaxy etc., then I believe, you can be fairly safe if you can establish your intent outside the category of their trademarks.

If protecting brand identity would be that simple, then we wouldn't have large companies spending big on protecting their trademarks through companies like Marcaria et al who grab up domains during the sunrise/landrush period for their clients.

Thank you

•••
Back