IT.COM

question Selling on GD when ur domain is with another registrar AND under transfer lock.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gurung

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Scenario - I registered one domain with namesilo about a week back. I read in GoDaddy documentation that one can list the domains for sale even if registered with another registrar. So, I have it listed for a BIN price on godaddy. I understand that according to some ICANN rule, a newly booked domain cannot be transferred away from the one where it was registered to another registrar for 60 days. But I am pretty sure that it can be pushed to another namesilo account in my case.

Now, if someone purchases my listed domain from GD ( within 60days - still under the transfer lock ).

What is the process of handing over the ownership to the Buyer ?

How does GD handle this transaction ?

Does it ask the buyer to open an account on namesilo so that the domain name could be pushed into his account. Then ask me to push it to the said account.​

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Bumping as I am also interested in reply to this question.

Last edited:
•••
How to list on godaddy when the account is held at a different registrar? I didnt know could do that

•••
You have to list on auctions because premium listing you have to have it on godaddy.

After purchase and several days go by, an email link appears in your auctions account and you can email the person and explain the situation, that they need to either open an account at the other registrar to get it right away or they can wait x amount of days until the 60 days is up.

This has only happened to me once and the buyer never responded to my emails for weeks and it was about 45 days for the 60 to be up from the start and after communicating with goaddy auctions they said as soon as the 60 days was up They(godaddy) would handle the transfer themselves.

And that is what happened. They took care of it when the 60 days was up and I got paid but the waiting 45 days with no reponse from the buyer was not fun. lol

•••
@Joe Styler should have the exact information you're looking for! :)

•••
Yes you can list a domain name on the auction with us at a BIN price, however we have in the terms of service for your listing agreement things like you own the domain, and you can move it to the buyer. While it is possible for you to list your name for sale on our auction no matter where it is registered we don't recommend listing a domain you cannot move to the GoDaddy account of the buyer. This is to protect you as the seller. When someone buys a domain on our auction and they move the name to their GoDaddy account we KNOW the name is with the buyer. We can see it no matter what they do because it is at our company. If you sell the domain to someone on our auction and move it to them at the other registrar and they put it under privacy and claim they never got the domain, then we put your payment on hold while we try and investigate who has the name. You will say they do, they will say you do or you moved it to someone else, and while we will investigate it is not always a simple thing to find the truth. That puts us in a very bad situation as it does our buyer and seller. If both people are claiming something different and we have no way to verify it someone is going to have a bad experience. To be safe always move the domain to the buyer's account with GoDaddy so that you have a smooth transaction. Even if we investigate and find you were telling the truth do you want to wait a couple extra weeks to get paid while we figure it out?

At the end of the day we recommend that you list the domain names with Afternic for sale vs direct with GoDaddy. Listing with Afternic will give your domains a wider exposure for sale via GoDaddy and also over 100 other registrars such as tucows, namecheap, network solutions, etc. Also the flow for the sale of an Afternic name is different. The name is moved to an Afternic holding account where we know you moved it to us and we then move it to the buyer. Again it's a smooth process and we know what happened to the domain and you get paid quickly, and you have more potential buyers to see your domain for sale. So list with Afternic.com :) problem solved.

•••
Is there any problem or conflict if I have domain on another registrar and list it 1st on godaddy auction and then a few days or weeks later on Afternic at the same price?

What about domains I have on godaddy, if I 1st list them on Premium on godaddy and then later list them on Afternic at the same price, is there any conflict or problems?

•••
Is there any problem or conflict if I have domain on another registrar and list it 1st on godaddy auction and then a few days or weeks later on Afternic at the same price?

What about domains I have on godaddy, if I 1st list them on Premium on godaddy and then later list them on Afternic at the same price, is there any conflict or problems?
No problem but it gets a bit complex. So the easy answer is just list it with Afternic. That way you have only one listing to manage and it will go to all the other places on its own.

The longer answer involves some caveats. So if you list a domain name registered with GoDaddy on GoDaddy as a premium for $1500 and then a week or whenever later you go list that same domain on Afternic for $1700, Afternic will send the domain name out to all the registrars including GoDaddy to list the domain name for sale. When it gets to GoDaddy it will look and see that someone (the owner of the domain who we know for absolute certain is the owner of that domain since it is registered with us) already has the domain name listed so it will reject any other attempt to list that same domain for sale again. So now you have the domain listed with GoDaddy for $1500 still and at Afternic for $1700. If you want to update pricing you need to do it in both places any time you make a change depending on how you list it. By listing on Afternic only you avoid this. This will change in the future to sync the accounts better but for now to avoid this possibility and others simply list the domain name in one place, Afternic.com

•••
Thanks a lot. But if I list only on Afternic, it will get listed on godaddy auctions and not Premium right.
I like the Premium better, maybe its not better but from what I think I know, it seems better than auction and it listed on auction also anyway.

Also is there a way to get more than the 1st 40,000 into a spreadsheet from the auction listings

Lets say i want to see all the $12 that will go to $11 buy it now in the next 10 days. That is likely 100's of thousands but I can only get 40k which only covers like 1.5 days or so.

Last edited:
•••
If you list it with a Buy Now price it will show up as a premium name on GoDaddy and other registrars like register.com and Tucows etc.

•••
Have
If you list it with a Buy Now price it will show up as a premium name on GoDaddy and other registrars like register.com and Tucows etc.
Have listed a couple of godaddy names with afternic at a BIN. Close to 2 weeks now, godaddy has not sent me a verification email to complete the process.Even smaller registrars handle this process perfectly. It's very unfortunate and frustrating.

Last edited:
•••
Have

Have listed a couple of godaddy names with afternic at a BIN. Close to 2 weeks now, godaddy has not sent me a verification email to complete the process.Even smaller registrars handle this process perfectly. It's very unfortunate and frustrating.
You wont get a verification if there is any type of lock that prevents the domain from transferring until that lock is expired. If you just bought the names or transferred them or changed the WHOIS info etc and there is a 60 day lock you don't have the ability to transfer a domain with the lock on it so we cannot ask you to approve something saying we can transfer the domain on your behalf until we actually can transfer it (no locks).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back