IT.COM

Seller sold on namePros - I won auction on Flippa

NameSilo
Watch

Kpett

Top Member
Impact
Please help me out here. A domain is listed on Flippa by a seller. I am the winning bidder of the auction and begin the Flippa Escrow process and I post my account number to the seller in the Sale Completion Area in order to transfer the domain. The seller then e-mails me the next day telling me he had already sold the domain. I ask him to prove it and he gives me a link to a namePros auction thread where he had sold the domain ten days earlier. However, even after selling the domain on namePros , he posted a comment on the Flippa auction with 4 days to go in the Flippa auction, stating "4 Days to go. 9 Watchers Waiting to bid."

According to Flippa's rules, there should be no double selling. What are my options?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So now we have seen both sides of the story

•••
@Kpett
Hi, I'm very sorry for the trouble I got you on to.

At first the domain was listed in Flippa and did not met the reserve which was around $280 as far as I remember. Then I relisted the domain on Flippa. But I needed the money urgently and I sold the domain here.

I don't know whether I can cancel a auction @ Flippa or not. But I knew I could change the BIN and reserve as they send emails everyday to change the reserve and BIN. So I changed the reserve to around $650 or something assuming it will not sell as I was unable to sell the domain even for $250 & I didn't see anything special it it..

Unfortunatly it was sold. (2nd high bid was less than $200).

However I'm still discussing with the current owner to get back the domain and honour the sale.

@NADAMS
Please delete the current owners whois information as the current owner is a 3rd party which has nothing to do with this.

Wow....

Thanks for coming here and giving the other side.

In either case.... I think you made the OP feel stupid for buying it at over $600 when you could barely get it here for $250.... and are now trying to buy it back and resell for more?

•••
Wow....

Thanks for coming here and giving the other side.

In either case.... I think you made the OP feel stupid for buying it at over $600 when you could barely get it here for $250.... and are now trying to buy it back and resell for more?

Actually not. I agrred the current owner to pay the sales price of Flippa. Still waiting for his reply.

•••
The auction looked very odd, with multiple bids by Kpett - I did not understand why you kept bidding up against yourself.

@Kpett - do you want the sale to still complete at your final price? We have no idea what the domain means to you, you could have a business with the exact letters, so it is worth the price.

My guess had been that this was an oversight error

My interpretation is @Lakshan is simply attempting to honor the sale with Kpett because obviously kpett wanted this domain urgently enough to start this thread without waiting to hear directly from Lakshan for a possible solution.

•••
Am glad this will be resolved anyway it seems.

Sucks that @Lakshan screwed up. =P But it happens to everyone. Obviously you did not do it intentionally.

•••
@Kpett Sorry to hear about your dilema, if it is any consolation.... I and I'm sure many others here can as well, vouch for @Lakshan being a stand up guy and I'm sure he had no malicious/unethical intent. Yes, shouldn't have had the domain listed in both places at the same time but hey, we are all human and we all make mistakes.. I have faith that he will do whatever he can to ensure an amicable outcome.

Last edited:
•••
Hey, I'm not the one in trouble. You @Lakshan did a double listing. And even after selling the domain here, you posted a comment on the Flippa auction advertising for more bids instead of contacting Flippa on how to end the auction - 10 days after you had already sold the domain!

I did see value in the domain - I bid the price up higher to meet his reserve. However, at this point I've moved on and am cancelling the Flippa Escrow.

•••
Hey, I'm not the one in trouble. You @Lakshan did a double listing. And even after selling the domain here, you posted a comment on the Flippa auction advertising for more bids instead of contacting Flippa on how to end the auction - 10 days after you had already sold the domain!

I did see value in the domain - I bid the price up higher to meet his reserve. However, at this point I've moved on and am cancelling the Flippa Escrow.

An important point and question...

Posting on Flippa after it was sold?

•••
So.. basically, the explanation is:
1. changing the BIN to $650 after it was sold, and
2. posting on flippa 4 Days to go. 9 Watchers Waiting to bid after it was sold.

what ?!? :xf.confused:

•••
Actually not. I agrred the current owner to pay the sales price of Flippa. Still waiting for his reply.

Agrred?

If I'm reading this correctly, you asked the first buyer to pay the Flippa sales price AFTER you agreed on a deal at a lower price. (a lower price that benefited your short term financial needs) I'm not trying to be a #!%< here, but that doesn't sound right. Maybe I misunderstood the above post.

If anything, why not ask the new owner if he'd sell the domain to @Kpett for the price he was willing to pay on Flippa. (thus giving the new owner profit from a quick flip, gives @Kpett the domain he wanted for the agreed upon auction price, and prevents you from getting banned / restricted from @FlippaDomains)

•••
It's a confusing situation, but basically the seller wanted to sell on Flippa, but sold it here on NP before Flippa auction ended.

I think the seller knows it was wrong and is trying to fix it.

Now the winner of the Flippa auction wants to cancel but wants something done about it.

•••
I am not sharing links or names (yet) ... but the seller is a moderator here and should know better.
Just to clarify NamePros position on situations like this: NamePros has always and still does enforce our policy in regards to members being bound to honor their auction listings here. We can not police/moderate other marketplaces' rules or policies.

In situations like this, the seller on NamePros (Regardless of their membership level or status) must honor the binding sale here once bids are placed. While we do have a rule requiring auction listings to be exclusive to NamePros, once binding bids are placed, they are locked in to comply with the binding sales rules thereafter.

If there is a dispute about a sale with that member failing to honor a sales agreement at a 3rd party marketplace outside NamePros, I advise that you contact their support team about the failed transaction on their platform.

I can certainly understand your frustration and apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

•••
This has nothing to do with namepros.

Flippa has a dispute mechanism. I suggest the domainer takes advantage of that (dispute mechanism) system.

•••
All I know is if you don't want someone to purchase your LLLL.com at BIN, changing the BIN to $xxx is not enough of a deterrent.

Last edited:
•••
@Kpett
Hi, I'm very sorry for the trouble I got you on to.

At first the domain was listed in Flippa and did not met the reserve which was around $280 as far as I remember. Then I relisted the domain on Flippa. But I needed the money urgently and I sold the domain here.

I don't know whether I can cancel a auction @ Flippa or not. But I knew I could change the BIN and reserve as they send emails everyday to change the reserve and BIN. So I changed the reserve to around $650 or something assuming it will not sell as I was unable to sell the domain even for $250 & I didn't see anything special it it..

Unfortunatly it was sold. (2nd high bid was less than $200).

However I'm still discussing with the current owner to get back the domain and honour the sale.

@NADAMS
Please delete the current owners whois information as the current owner is a 3rd party which has nothing to do with this.

A reasonable explanation... mistakes happen.

@Lakshan owned his mistake and gets respect for that (y)

•••
Thank you everyone for your input.

•••
A reasonable explanation... mistakes happen.

@Lakshan owned his mistake and gets respect for that (y)

It does seem like a reasonable explanation.... almost.... (the cancel auction/end auction is in same place as changing reserve)....

The issue he, he was posted on the Flippa auction AFTER he had already sold the domain here.... instead of trying to figure out how to cancel it or sending a message to flippa support.

To me it now more looks like hey, I have someone willing to pay more.

Lol, look, someone wanted to pay near retail for a mediocre 4L domain.... wouldn't you been trying to buy it back at the low price you sold it for to make a quick flip?

In reality, I think it makes a difference that it was not a regular member, but a Mod... and thanks to NapePros... this site is quite transparent.

OP will be saved a few hundred dollars and someone will be getting bad review possibly banned from flippa. End of story.

June 11th UDRD was posted Sold on Nape Pros...
June 21st he was still trying to market it on Flippa.

He has also sold 10 items on Flippa so I don't buy the newbie thing.
And finally, it looks like first bids on UDRD came at least 5 days AFTER the domain was sold here.
https://flippa.com/auctions/8582175/bids

Someone please check timeline.

•••
Why change the reserve to $650?
Why not change it to let's say $10000 to make things extra sure?

•••
Back