Dynadot

Sell a Portfolio when EndUser bought one Premium Listing already

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

The founder of a company (about 450 employees) bought one domain name from a portfolio of related domains. She bought this domain name using Godaddy's premium buy service. After commission, I was left with $1,000 which came right on time to pary renewal fees to keep my portfolio yet one more year:).

I have a whole portfolio of related domains that I have been accumulating since 2004. Say for example, the domains have the following structure:
xxxxxGuru.com, xxxxx being relevant and good keywords.

I would like to offer 4 related domains (plural and synonyms). In addition I would like to offer 50 domains that belong to the same portfolio. I have her email address from the new domain registration, but I want the following:

1. That the offer is easy to accept. Offer a good discount for buying bulk, but allow her to buy individual domains.
2. That the transaction is easy to do as a bulk. What domain name escrow service allows you to sell a portfolio of domain names at once?
3. That if the enduser only wants a portion of the portfolio, she can buy it too.

How would you craft your strategy in this case?

Thanks very much in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Firstly: Congrats on your $1,000 sale :)

Secondly: While she has bought from you already, an email soliciting the sale of other domains may still be seen as spam to her & her company, so use some tact and be careful in that respect.

Make sure the title reflects a "Thanks for your recent purchase". This helps establish you've already done business with her & that it's not a random spam sales letter off the bat. making her more apt to open the email & read it.

Start the email with a follow-up to thank her for her recent domain purchase and insure her satisfaction. (This is the viable non-intrusive approach to get her comfortable with reading more).

Try not to have more than 1 link in your email, some spam filter settings will automatically send it to the bulk / spam folder if their is.

Don't go directly for her throat trying to secure another sale in the email. This will just put her on the defensive (It's human nature to fear being sold something) and she may be weary of continuing to read further.

Ease her into the potential of additional names that may benefit her & or her company and offer to provide research data to support your theory of benefits. Allow her the opportunity to ask for more information, rather than posting it all at once (It's natural for people to skip over areas and lose interest when emails are too long).

Thirdly: If and when she does express interest, the next step is providing your personal analysis as to why & how the domains you are suggesting will benefit her and or her business. Keep in mind that she'll be more stimulated by facts that impact her bottom line of business rather than what ifs, maybe's, and hypothetical situations.

Fourthly: I'm not sure of any portfolio / escrow combo sites that allow whole / partial (bulk) portfolio sales and have the ability to distinguish the 2. I would think that using a 3rd party Escrow site like Escrow.com or Ecop.com once you've established the exact domains she's interested in as well as the bulk price would work just as well.

Make sure you educate her a little on the security features of such escrow sites and let her choose which one she prefers to use out of a few options you present.

Since she's already purchased one domain from you, she already has the psychological trust / security factor with you. Keeping straight forward, clear, and honest communication with her throughout the email & or phone process will help reinforce that sense of security and have her more apt to make a spontaneous purchase from you.

Lastly: Even though she spent $1,000+ on a domain of yours already, don't assume that she's made of money and overprice your other domains. Make sure there's an evident bulk discount and the feeling that you are genuinely trying to help her business more than you are trying to separate her from her money. If she feels like she just walked onto an overpriced used car lot, you've lost her.

In Conclusion: The above may or may not have been helpful at all. Just figured I would share some of my thoughts on the matter. I'm sure others have more insight than I do on these matters and will help steer you in the right direction. Sorry I wasn't able to help more or offer an escrow solution that can handle the type of bulk / partial sale you were looking to do.

Eric Lyon

•••
Eric,

Thank you for the thoughtful advice, I will follow it. I would have jumped into prices and discounts before engaging in a conversation.

Best,

IE

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back