IT.COM

poll Sedo Newsletter on Emoji domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will you buy an emoji domain in the next 90 days

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Not Sure

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

So Sedo gives a nice summary of emoji domain history and options, including

- examples of use

- .ws position as the leader

"This ccTLD (.ws) has since developed into the standard for emoji domain registrations."

- the reality of not working on all systems

Moreover, some web browsers also don’t recognize the cute pictures in domain names, particularly in the case of older or outdated browser versions.

MY NOTES : to which i would say they work on mobile which is what everyone is designing around, and the browser updates should include virtual keyboards to go along with the extension you can add now. As to email and other adoptions, i think more likely to see companies follw this huge trend and adapt and adopt. yes dinosaurs like me, and most daytime office workers and domain industry management and pundits cant imagine the power without these new browser updates..ok to wait for most, or pick some up now. your call.

Then we get to the closing summary

SEDO
From a pure marketing perspective, an emoji domain can be utilized to support the main corporate site, or to perhaps attract attention on a business card or as an effective promotional technique on a poster.

agreed

SEDO
Even worse, emojis only come standard on mobile devices; entering these β€œfun” addresses on a desktop or laptop PC is much more complicated

but should improve, hey we bought .com domains in 1997 and dint know about smartphones yet...

SEDO -
emoji domains aren’t really useful for anything more than an entertaining ad campaign.

ME : a little rush to judgement, and companies spend billions on entertaining ad campaigns last time i checked........

SEDO
On a side note: you can use Sedo to configure emoji domains with a 3-byte character length

means you can only buy sell trade about 20% of the available emoji domains on sedo, because of something having to do with BYTEs. I think once they upgrade, you may see a changed tune.

https://sedo.com/us/about-us/news-press/newsroom/emoji-domains-do-they-make-sense/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think a time will come when a picture,logo will be the domain name with built in complete addres.It is only a matter of time,

•••
i would love ot think so but thats probably on the same order as natural computer, the singularity etc.

unicode does a great job of making these "fonts" viewable and usaable NOT AS IMAGES, but as actual entries in domains, forms, addresses etc.

emoji domains dont need an app, they work on the appless network, the worldwide web.

acceptance will pick up end of year, not hard to imagine that 2016 was the coming out party, then device and operating systems put it on their spec sheet of rthe next release, than they actually have to build it,

buy Jan 1 2018 we could have windows 10, emojis on android irrespective of the operating system, and email sorted out

stay tunes

page howe

•••
I got a few, on a whim.....
we'll see - I dig them though: one emoji, plus .to - what's not to like ;)

•••
so you spent $150 for 3

whats not to like, probably the .to if you ask me. You could have 30 .ws

i know theres a dedicated group behind .to, so go for it

i looked at it - i might use for the good hacks, and for toronto

but its what others not involved think i try to look at, and no one is really buying them, im not sure if some were given away, the registry looks dated, no whois and i high spam score

i couldnt rationalize paying 10x the price, for something with 1/100 the size of .ws

so i can get ws for $4.99 at godaddy versus $65 for .to

i can get singles at ednstore.com for $1k-3k verus 10k for their ones

and .ws has 20 year track record as a multi-faceted , global website or worldsite brand - great registrar relationships and corporate use

so for me its .ws as of now, open to talk about it

•••
sorry to say, but from my perspective - .ws has no track record

it's never been popular, even after being once hyped as acronym for "website"

now, it's being rehyped as a "standard" for emoji regs

best of luck to all the holders

imo....

•••
sitehq then what is the 2017 coming out party?

•••
yeah i feel you, i bought my first .ws when it was the next new great .com in 2003, lots of renewal down the drain on some nice keywords, only ever sold about 4-5

and compared to com the the new g's, .ws is a long way down. But the .ws is universal and applies to lots of things left of the dot.. not a big stretch to see it as website or worldsite

but with no emoji allowed in com /net or icann new G's, .ws now becomes the place to be, and thens of thousands have agreed.

so its not the typical .ws versus .com,but for me its .ws versus the misc freenoms and others,, and in that light .ws looks more predictable and stable.

page

•••
why type out emoji when the word signifies a one character symbol? My phone doesn't actually accommodate that.
The space to the right of the dot is getting very crowded wit .press and other stuff.
How much of this will be in use?

•••
they dont ring the bell.....:xf.smile::xf.smile:

windows 10 is live with emoji keyboard popup in the creators version

http://blog.getemoji.com/emoji-keyboard-windows

then for android users your system is determined by your hardware, and your system provider.

heres some tips

Newer versions of Android support emoji, but they may not support all of the emoji your iPhone-owning friends can see. That's because emoji get added with system upgrades, and Android phone makers have a bad habit of not upgrading their software.

If you don't see emoji in your keyboard, you just need to turn them on. Go to Settings > Language and Input. After that, it depends on your device. You should be able to either tap Keyboard or pick the Google Keyboard directly. Go into Preferences (or Advanced) and turn the emoji option on. There should now be a smiley (emoji) button near the space bar on your Android keyboard. Or, just download and activate SwiftKey.

good luck

Page Howe

•••
thats the magic question... and why we easy manage our own porfolio, for me they are new, different, global, color, mobile and my kids understand them, thats enough for me

page

why type....
How much of this will be in use?

•••
yeah, i regged a couple of .ws, back then, including nano.ws, but never sold one

i❀.org

imo...

•••
whats not to like, probably the .to if you ask me. You could have 30 .ws

Why don't (or didn't) you like .to?

Has your opinion changed in the mean time?

And 30 .ws doesn't necessarily mean 30 .ws. Maybe at reg fee on coupon for the first year. But if emoji domains are a long term play you will pay at least $20 per year per domain renewal. That (30) first year reg for $150 will cost you $600+ each additional year as renewal liability.

3 premium .TO would run a little less than $600 for 4 years. Whereas (30) emoji .ws domains will run you over $2k for 4 years. I know 3 vs 30 isn't comparable. Just saying, if there was an option to bulk reg 30 single .ws emojis, VS 3 premium .TO, I would probably take the 3 premium .TO, given I believe these are long term plays.

I jumped in emojis late. And even with such time to think, I don't feel like I did proper research, and may have made a noob mistake casting a net out there and regging several on a whim only after a night or two of research...

Anyways, +1 for emoji domains!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back