IT.COM

Sedo - Most useless platform?

NameSilo
Watch
I believe Sedo is the most useless platform of all.

Some of you may disagree and feel free to share your experience below, but from my experience, Sedo has been utterly useless. It has long relied on its well-established brand and the luxury of being one of the first players in the game. Since then, it has done nothing to improve user or buyer experience. They have not found ways to innovate their platform, attract new buyers, and have solely relied on type-in traffic.

In over 10 years of using Sedo, I can count all the offers and sales on one hand. Most of the arguments for Sedo are "they are popular with oversea buyers". Sedo may sell more names to european buyers because they allow extensions such as .de, and have translated versions of the site for buyers for other countries. That's about it. But Sedo has (insert number of partners)! Does that result in many sales for an average seller? Nope.

Sedo currently charges 10% commission for parked domains, 15% for marketplace listings, and 20% for MLS sales. For that comission, they do absolutely nothing.

What I can give them credit for, is for negotiations of inbound offers. But when you get one offer per 5 years, does that really benefit us? Are other marketplaces worse at negotiations? I don't think so.

You may say, well who cares, it's an additional marketplace to list your names on. So why not? Because even their submission process is a headache. Each name has to be manually verified through forwarding or txt record. It doesn't work all the time and takes way too long.

But that's my personal experience. For those of you who park their names at Sedo, why? How has your experience been?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unfortunately big companies don't seem to care when we lose deals or not. They move on 5 mins later while we have to deal with the consequences.
Hi

negotiations probably go on every day in domaining and outside of it
not all of them close, as anticipated.
and if/when they don't,
how many are the fault of the platform or service that provides the stage to make the deal happen?

so....when you lose a deal, what are the reasons?

the buyer didn't counter your offer
the buyer didn't pay, after agreement
the buyer didn't respond
other reason?

also, consider that when a deal falls thru, you still have the domain.
so, what real consequences are experienced, as a fault of the platform?

earlier this year:
i had buyer agree to price, then they waited past 7 days to respond.
contacted sedo and stated "i feel this buyer will not pay"

they reached out to buyer several times and finally they paid for the domain.
then they requested auth code to transfer, which i submitted promptly....but they never initiated the transfer.

now mind you, the domain was unlocked at this point and auth code was submitted, which is only valid for brief period.
the buyer never initiated the transfer request, so i had to ask sedo to take possession of the domain, in order for me to get paid.
they created an account at the registrar and i pushed it there, and got paid same day.

as of today, that domain still doesn't resolve.

imo....

•••
I have had cases like that too, where buyer pays and doesn't initiate transfer 1-2 weeks later.
I also have had cases where brokers didn't even reply to good initial offers, obviously didn't tell me about it until I got that info from the buyer or somewhere else, and the number of times they don't follow-up on negotiations is absurd.

•••
I also have had cases where brokers didn't even reply to good initial offers, obviously didn't tell me about it until I got that info from the buyer or somewhere else, and the number of times they don't follow-up on negotiations is absurd.
Hi
what platform did this occur?
how did you know there was an offer, did you receive email or notice on the platform?
why did offer go to broker and not you?

imo..

•••
they get low sales nowadays ..
they should reduce the fees to 8% to compete dan.com ..
our landing pages goes to dan.com today regards the low fees ..
compete with GoDaddy

•••
Hi
what platform did this occur?
how did you know there was an offer, did you receive email or notice on the platform?
why did offer go to broker and not you?

imo..
Uniregistry, lead came from Godaddy, they said they would investigate why I got no notification of offer around mid $n,nnn (no explanation several weeks later).
Also, do you know that Godaddy's plan has been to remove the self-service brokerage system Uniregistry has and was the reason why I went there and listed thousands of domains in the first place? This was confirmed.

•••
I have tried Aftrenic, Sedo, Dan.
Most of my sales are from Sedo I like it .

•••
I don’t really care about commission as long as the name is sold.
Btw, why are you keep posting all the negative topics? Nothing is good i your life?

Methinks it's time for a wife joke...

•••
I have tried Aftrenic, Sedo, Dan.
Most of my sales are from Sedo I like it .

Are your landing pages pointing to Sedo? What kind of names are you selling - generic, brandable, geo, etc?

•••
Are your landing pages pointing to Sedo? What kind of names are you selling - generic, brandable, geo, etc?
Yes, ns1.sedoparking .. ns2. Sedoparking

Brandable, generic ... Etc

Medicaretraining.com
iii.io
Asp
Onebridge.io
And much more

•••
I sell domain monthly at SEDO..

I check my domains.. daily views, and if no views I will change the price...

You continue to change the price of your domains for you to make sale..

If you list homeboy.com at sedo at buy it now ..may be 25k..

The next day if there is no views ..you adjust your price to 20k or so

You keep on going up and down ..to make sale..

This method is for those that want quick sale..

Is working for me..

But your domain shouldn't be hand registered..

The method is for premium domains only...solid two words. Primium four letters,one word domains

Is working..check if buyers are viewing your domain..

No views means over priced domain..

3,4,5figs domains..

I like to buy today and sell tomorrow..

If you can wait for a long time and you are very very rich.. this method is not for you..

This is for buy today and sell tomorrow.

Best.

Last edited:
•••
When I started in 2017 SEDO was very strange to me,after some years I closed a German word for 1498 euros and $5000 auction and many in 2k range..

Now my best platform is SEDO ..I spent quality time in sedo than any other market place

I spent xxx to xxxx in buying domains for listing at sedo..

Many are having problem listing at SEDO.

The secret is this ...before You list your domains at SEDO market..first remove the whois privacy on your domains ..
Then after listing you apply the privacy on your domain.. if there is any need.

I have never sold any hand registered on sedo except one enquiry I got one day in .de extension..

No sales in .de yet..

Ask me your question..

Best

•••
Recently..I saw a domain I like very much after few days sold..

Firstproperties.com listed at $500 buy now ..after two days the domain was sold ..I missed the deal..

•••
So, @Sedo listened to our criticism here ; )

which is great, new landers, fresh design, some new inputs.

What I would also advice, is to show the ' <10 ' (when no traffic occurs) in smaller letters.
[compared to when traffic is measured]

Would look better.

Regs

•••
There is a big issue regarding showcase domain name, when you receive a sale, and the sale is canceled your domain name will no longer active.
You should contact them again and again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back