IT.COM

Sedo.com asks seller to renew domain, is this fair?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

emile123

Established Member
Impact
Hi
what are your thoughts about this?

I sold one of my domains by auction at Sedo.com.
After the buyer paid, Sedo is asking me to renew the domain first.

message by Sedo:
"Please renew this domain first, as the registration is about to expire or has already expired.
The transfer to another registrar can only proceed once the domain has been renewed."

So, Sedo claims that 'another registrar can only proceed once the domain has been renewed'.
In hundreds of domain transfers, a registar never asked me to first renew at the old regisrar before you can proceed.

It feels unfair to push a seller to renew a domain at his costs, before you can proceed.

An experiences on this?
What are your thoughts?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

if.....
you take the time to READ the terms of service agreement,
then you would know what you have to do.

imo...

•••
Hello Biggy,
Thaks for the your response.

i read the terms afterwards yes. And I know sedo talks about 60days before renewal etc.

My point is fairness:

What Sedo says is:
"The transfer to another registrar can only proceed once the domain has been renewed"

But that is simply not true as we all know.

I just received an additional answer from Sedo stating:
"The domain expires in 21 days. This is an extremely risky and small window to complete a transfer"

Well, the buyer already paid yesterday, so Sedo had 22 days to transfer this domain.
If i can transfer a domain in 5 minutes, then I am sure Sedo can do this in less than 21 days, as they are the experts.
Besides that, the auction costs were high enough, so it would be nice if they simply do what they need to do: transfer the domain to the buyer asap.

•••
My point is fairness:
Hi

would it be fair to the buyer, if the domain expired before transfer, due to some unexpected circumstances?
would it be fair to buyer, if you were allowed an exemption from agreement to renew the domain?
would it be fair, if the situation was in reverse, and you were the buyer?

just saying...

imo...

•••
Just renew the domain and transfer job done.

•••
renewal costs were pretty high (gtld premium), otherwise I would have paid it instantly.

Anyways, the issue has been solved now in good conversation with my Sedo contact. The domain is already transferred now, within 10 minutes time.

@Sedo, thanks for your help to solve this.

Case closed.

•••
anything in their tos..wrich u accept..is fair... what's not fair is.for u not do.whats in their tos

•••
renewal costs were pretty high (gtld premium), otherwise I would have paid it instantly.

Anyways, the issue has been solved now in good conversation with my Sedo contact. The domain is already transferred now, within 10 minutes time.

@Sedo, thanks for your help to solve this.

Case closed.
I feel for you. Some renewals can be pretty high

•••
Don't see a problem it is in the TOS which you agreed to.

•••
Back