IT.COM

Saying goodbye to domaining

NameSilo
Watch

Raghav Nehra

Established Member
Impact
Last week at NamePros. Wasted a lot of time and money. Thanks to all fellow members for their endless support.

P.s. Admin please dont move this post.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What else has such oversupply with a tiny tiny demand? Look at how few Sedo sales there are yet they have millions of domains on offer.

You need money, a good eye, patience and a little luck. Tall ask.

Getting a good eye and becoming a discerning SOB, ah yes, I got there but it's a long windy road y'all.

•••
Per my own observation and experience, in 2017 BTC is a few times more profitable than domaining...
And it doesn't require to spend your time...

p.s. I can't quit... because after ~10 years it is already as narcotic for me...

•••
Per my own observation and experience, in 2017 BTC is a few times more profitable than domaining...
Disagree. Nothing on this earth as profitable as domaining. I refer here to buying for single digit $ and flipping for $xxx - $x,xxx in a few weeks' or months' time... yeah, some of us do that... from time to time :cigar:
Conditional on the knowledge which particular domain will sell and soon, this is better than any cryptocurrency appreciation, where you also need to know which one of the 100+ cryptos will appreciate the most...
p.s. I can't quit... because after ~10 years it is already as narcotic for me...
Yeah, there's that... rather than good luck in his future endeavors, perhaps we should wish OP to stick to his guns and throw in the towel for good, before he gets hooked, like most of us here :xf.wink:

•••
For me - it was really very profitable before 2015...
Nowadays I don't think so.

•••
For me - it was really very profitable before 2015...
Nowadays I don't think so.
yes..because there hs been a huge boom in sellers..everyone wanting to flip to make some extra money..and no demand and buyers...only resellers offering humiliating prices on flippa..

•••
As long as I’m getting offers daily I know I’m doing all right.

And then if I ever get desperate I might even start accepting the offers. :xf.laugh:

•••
Parking revenue is also trending down... this 2017 is worst ever.

•••
this is not a short game, you tried it for a few weeks????

•••
•••
My 1st really significant sale happened after 15 months since I started...

•••
Hey, i am also newbie, heres my 2 cent,

its not that easy game, when i started i had read a blog and had feeling its easy money, but its not,
you need to put on efforts and research, if you have limited money u need to be picky and wise,

i havent made any sell yet, but i am trying, you can try to, reach out end users, or put on sedo/flippa etc

theres lot of content on NP, read that, its like wiki of domaining, also u can talk to season domainer for help,
you can ask about your domain get feedback, if u trying handreg try get suggestion abt name(you can delete name within 5 days and get refund), try to change your strategy!

But its not quick money atleast when u starting

regards
Sushant

•••
•••
If many are heading to Crypto away from domains - there should be a mass retirement party!

•••
All i can say from my experience is to not just hand reg stuff, i also dont buy domains containing letters and numbers as they're harder to sell, nearly impossible to sell.

If i had to start again i would use the money i have wasted on hand regs and non .com's and just buy a couple of really good domains which could be marketed to endusers with a couple of emails. For examples businesses using the .com.mx version, or the .net/.org/.co versions etc who would love to own the .com

•••
BTW what takes the most time is the learning curve. Learning what makes a good domain name, what to buy and what not to buy. When you don't have the right inventory then you'll struggle no matter how long you wait. Patience is a virtue but stubbornness is not.

•••
Learning what makes a good domain name, what to buy and what not to buy

How do you recommend a newbie learns?

I used to think I was learning when I'd watch DomainSherpa. But now I'm starting to think that program was all hype, designed to push the agenda of a select few. I don't know much about Adam Dicker, but from what I can tell he wasn't the worst sherpa. This industry makes me sick.

•••
I think learning how to outbound sell is something good to learn, i have seen some outbound sellers sell some shockingly crap domains for good money.

•••
I would recommend for example that newbies read NP a lot before they buy anything, also some select blogs, follow reported sales, analyze them, digest them until you get a feel of what kinds of names are in demand, which extensions are in demand and which are not. You must understand what sells, otherwise how are you going to make educated purchases. If you don't pay any attention to sales and just names because you think they are cool, then it's wishful thinking.

I think learning how to outbound sell is something good to learn, i have seen some outbound sellers sell some shockingly crap domains for good money.
Really ? Examples ?

•••
I would recommend for example that newbies read NP a lot before they buy anything, also some select blogs, follow reported sales, analyze them, digest them until you get a feel of what kinds of names are in demand, which extensions are in demand and which are not. You must understand what sells, otherwise how are you going to make educated purchases. If you don't pay any attention to sales and just names because you think they are cool, then it's wishful thinking.

How do you know if the reported sales are real? ... and not just a boys club trading a certain set of domains back and forth? If the market is being manipulated, I don't see how following reported sales will give a true output for a valuable domain.

•••
How do you know if the reported sales are real? ... and not just a boys club trading a certain set of domains back and forth? If the market is being manipulated, I don't see how following reported sales will give a true output for a valuable domain.

I used to think I was learning when I'd watch DomainSherpa. But now I'm starting to think that program was all hype, designed to push the agenda of a select few. I don't know much about Adam Dicker, but from what I can tell he wasn't the worst sherpa. This industry makes me sick.

Aside from the good advice Kate has already posted the best advice I can give is to find a niche that is ideal for you and your likes.... follow people on Namepros who are giving good advice, and follow the personalities in your niche that are already successful and posting sales or advice on the forum. One of the things I did when I started was to follow the top people on the forum with solid reputation. The people who've been around for years yet still take time to post in threads like this. Kate is a good example of such persons.

Find a niche you like in the beginning. That way it won't seem like all work. You'll enjoy the learning curve. I've been in the tech/future trends niche for 15 years. I'm in other niches as well but this is where I spend most of my time and it's never work! That's been my main area and there is a strong sub-community on NP. Take the VR and AR threads for example... people post advice and sales there and you get to know and learn plenty.

Also, spend some time on the "Report Completed Sales" thread. See what types of names are selling, what end users are buying. Get familiar with the ecosystem.

Ask questions. You don't know what you don't know... be active on the forum. It's a very valuable resource
-----------------
GL Richard!

•••
Whatever you decide.. Wish you well Mate.

•••
in my first year I sold 4 domains, in my second only 2, in my 3th year, no zero, 4th = 1, etc etc, then the las year i sold 50, which I take to see what was wrong with my domain, my main...then.. today i have best domain, more offer, now need more patience

domaining It's not easy money, easy money does not exist

Last edited:
•••
The reason you failed in domaining is reading and believing bs on namepros. There is so much misinformation here its insane. If u just walk away from it and use your own judgement instead of relying on others you will do very well. Here is my advice " Stop believing others and believe yourself instead"

•••
Last week at NamePros. Wasted a lot of time and money. Thanks to all fellow members for their endless support.

P.s. Admin please dont move this post.

Post your portfolio as an example.

•••
Aside from the good advice Kate has already posted the best advice I can give is to find a niche that is ideal for you and your likes..

So true. Kate is succinct, to the point and adds value and wit in all her posts, helpful to all.
Being in speculative businesses is not only time consuming, but requires lots of patience. The get rich thing is so crazy all over the web full of promises of making money online.

My first self employment venture was nearly identical as this. You buy something because the price is right, then sit on it and proactively market it to end users. It’s all in the buying. You sent out lists to other sales reps too outside your geographical area as they know local customer, you don’t. You pick a niche that not everyone else is into. This was preinternet and all fax and telephone. You win some and make 100x profit, and you lose many more, but those winners pay for the rest and profit. One month you have spent here and trying isn’t close to what is needed.

I bootstrapped off my first sale and since have invested day and night scouring the expired lists and reading and studying everything for over a year and with limited sales in over a year and not doing enough outbound marketing. Its a marathon, and if I didn’t like the challenge and staring at a screen, I wouldn’t be in it.

You don’t need to buy names either, provided you have energy, enthusiasm and integity, you can broker names for others when you don’t have money. You just need to be able to put up with ton’s of rejection if you are doing emails and outbound. I started my other business with no money, but brokering other peoples physical property for commissions. Once I accumulated enough cash, I held inventory.

This industry needs honest professional brokers with business integrity and long term thinking in developing *end user* customer relationships.

The market is flooded with those who focus on how-to videos concentrating on auction wholesaling and flipping to other domainers. Those would do that will simply be also-ran’s and never get very far.

I’d suggest to anyone in the same boat as OP, is find ONE high value name to exclusively broker, focus and work it for two more months. You will learn a lot about the market, your skills and if this is for you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back