Dynadot

opinion Saying domain is available for sale in showcase threads......Really?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
I'm seeing a growing trend of people showcasing their domains in relevant threads and slipping in a comment that it is available cheap for a short period of time or that it is available on such and such platform for sale or similar comments (also non showcase threads).......More often than not (nearly all the time) the domain in question is newly regged.

I personally don't think it is appropriate, it looks desperate and most of the time the domain is not worth the reg fee paid......

Are they off topic? Appropriate? Funny? Or just another example of people wanting a quick buck without putting in the time or effort (Gen Z anyone?)........

I've personally not reported any of these posts, it makes me shake my head slightly and brings a small smile to my face but does not pi*s me off.........so no real harm?

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this pattern and what you think?

*Apologies if this is in the wrong section, if so......mods feel free to move it......

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Nick what other purpose does that serve !?

I mean they want to show they have that name...which is to tell they acquired it...which is because they are in buying and selling domains business...

Apart from that those threads are inspiration for others and gives some idea of trends and how other people thinking... which direction that niche is going.

Coming to your main point...it doesn't matter posting the name itself is similar...again saying it's available for sale (maybe less impressive for member's reputation) is not going add any extra purpose.

In short I (almost) agree with you :)

And also just my opinions...

•••
Nick what other purpose does that serve !?

I mean they want to show they have that name...which is to tell they acquired it...which is because they are in buying and selling domains business...

Apart from that those threads are inspiration for others and gives some idea of trends and how other people thinking... which direction that niche is going.

Coming to your main point...it doesn't matter posting the name itself is similar...again saying it's available for sale (maybe less impressive for member's reputation) is not going add any extra purpose.

In short I (almost) agree with you :)

And also just my opinions...
No problem with showcasing, I do it a lot and others do as well - they are some of my favourite threads..... but.....Just showcase the dam name, news, whatever is allowed etc etc - it's not hard, there are even cases where you can post the domain in multiple threads to show it off (I've done this myself)

99.999% (not a guaranteed number) of domains listed on this forum are for sale - pretty obvious, why the need to say it's going cheap? It's listed at xyz place? If someone is interested, they will put a cheeky offer in or hit BIN after looking it up and the price is right......or even drop you a DM

If you want to sell it use the sell section, post in the external sales section etc - No need to whore the name in inappropriate places.....

Mini rant over ;)

•••
I would say the majority of members are penniless & are willing to offer their domains on a dining table. This is the domain industry.. Most members do not have the staying power, & they spend their savings on handregs & other bad names. So on a forum with over a million members, you're gonna see that. It also boils down to personality/character, what you're used to, how you lived/live etc.

imo

•••
No problem with showcasing, I do it a lot and others do as well - they are some of my favourite threads..... but.....Just showcase the dam name, news, whatever is allowed etc etc - it's not hard, there are even cases where you can post the domain in multiple threads to show it off (I've done this myself)

99.999% (not a guaranteed number) of domains listed on this forum are for sale - pretty obvious, why the need to say it's going cheap? It's listed at xyz place? If someone is interested, they will put a cheeky offer in or hit BIN after looking it up and the price is right......or even drop you a DM

If you want to sell it use the sell section, post in the external sales section etc - No need to whore the name in inappropriate places.....

Mini rant over ;)
I don’t expect that to stop anytime soon unless the mods enforce a rule about it. You might not like it but at least a few meta names got sold immediately that way The last few weeks.

Last edited:
•••
Please use the Report link on those posts; we will take care of them.

•••
This practice is getting excessive lately on the metaverse thread so much so that I have to stop getting notifications. People need to stop posting long lists of names they want to sell and open an appropriate for sale thread instead. It’s starting to reek of desperation.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back